Child Language & Bilingualism
Rhedir gan School of Educational Sciences
20.000 Credydau neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Prof Enlli Thomas
The aim of the module is to study the development of the language skills of children and young people, in a bilingual context. It looks at the different methods of studying language and language acquisition in children and young people. It explores and compares the main theories of language acquisition. The pathway in a child’s development of language acquisition is discussed and the effect of age on the full mastery of language, with reference to specific language difficulties .The module investigates the main methods and approaches of studying a child’s language development and measuring the language proficiency of children and young people. In the applied context, the module explores the different models of bilingual education and focuses on the nature and needs of bilingual individuals in an educational, intellectual, and social context. It investigates the aims of research on bilingualism and evaluates bilingual resources.
The module focuses on: • child’s language development, what is language, what is the purpose of language and the purpose of studying language; • theoretical perspectives and methods of studying of language acquisition; • language development study methods and the purpose of language tests; • the child’s phonetic development, the acquisition of vocabulary, syntactic development and of communication skills. • the difference between learning a language in early childhood and after that period, language disorders, and the differences between monoglot and bilingual children. In the bilingual context, the module focuses on: • critical investigation and assessment of the nature and needs of bilingualism for the individual and for society • mixing codes, code switching and language allocation, and aspects of bilingualism that affect parents; • preparing for the bilingual society, literacy in two languages: learning and teaching and bilingualism and Deaf Awareness.
A satisfactory understanding of the main concepts of language acquisition in a monolingual and bilingual child; the ability to discuss the field by referencing to some research evidence. Demonstrates the ability to evaluate provision for minority languages and investigate critical and historical perspectives of bilingualism. Understand and compare theories of child language development.
A good understanding of the main concepts of language acquisition in a monolingual and bilingual child; the ability to discuss the field analytically by referencing relevant research evidence. Demonstrates the ability to critically evaluate provision for minority languages and investigate critical and historical perspectives of bilingualism. A good ability to understand and compare theories of child language development.
A comprehensive understanding of the main concepts of language acquisition in a monolingual and bilingual child; the ability to discuss the field critically and analytically by referencing relevant research evidence, with an element of originality. Demonstrates an excellent ability to critically evaluate provision for minority languages and thoroughly investigate critical and historical perspectives of bilingualism. An excellent ability to understand, compare and evaluate theories of child language development.
demonstrate critical awareness of the concept of bilingualism and of its positive effects and evaluate the role of society in promoting bilingualism;
critically evaluate provision for Welsh, and for other minority languages of other countries;
investigate critical and historical perspectives of bilingualism;
analyze the main differences and similarities between the language use of a monolingual and a bilingual child;
demonstrate a critical understanding of the main methods of studying language development and of measuring language proficiency in children and young people;
identify, evaluate and compare the main theories on child’s language development;
Successful students will be able to:
identify and interpret critically the pattern of language development in children;
critically reflect on educational policy on language planning in other countries.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
11 @ 2 hours/week
11 @ 1 hours/week
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- apply multiple perspectives to early childhood issues recognising that early childhood studies involves a range of research methods theories evidence and applications
- integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in early childhood studies and recognise distinctive early childhood studies approaches to relevant issues
- constructively critique theories practice and research in the area of child development
- critically explore examine and evaluate the significance of the cultural historical and contemporary features of various policies institutions and agencies in regard to babies young children and childhood
- demonstrate an understanding of how to plan for and where appropriate implement meeting and promoting children's health well-being protection and safety and the conditions that enable them to flourish
- produce critical arguments for improvements to multi-agency and multiprofessional practices for babies and young children
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/xae-3034.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- Q318: BA Eng Lang for Speech & Language Therapy (Subj to Validn) year 3 (BA/ELSLT)