Behaviour Management & Nurtuting Schools
Rhedir gan School of Educational Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Amy Hulson-Jones
- To enable course members to build a critical understanding and appreciation of the nature of ‘nurturing school environments’ and effective, evidence-based principles and theories of behaviour, emotion and wellbeing in educational contexts at the classroom and whole-school system level.
- To develop understanding and skills in the area of behaviour management in a range of educational settings (including pre- school, post-school, and non-school environments) to meet statutory demands and to deliver an appropriately broad and balanced curriculum, which will meet individual needs.
- To enable course members to develop and critically reflect on the responsibilities of pupils, parents, schools, governors, and local education authorities, and the inspection processes in a self-improving school system under constantly evolving legislation.
This course content will include but is not limited to the following areas of study:
- core concepts of the most effective evidence based behaviour management practices, current research and theories
- The new curriculum in Wales and the related legislation and how it might effect behaviour and the management of behaviour of in schools
- How to develop positive nurturing environments in schools that model and teach effective self-emotional regulation for effective learning environments
- Response to Intervention (RTI) framework - a model to help ‘every’ child achieve their best
- The fundamentals of school-wide systems of managing relationships and behaviour and emotional wellbeing for staff and pupils
- Formal and informal assessment of pupils with social, emotional and behavioural difficulties
- A critical awareness and understanding of whole school issues relating to relationship and behaviour management and meeting the needs of pupils with additional learning needs, particularly social, emotional and behavioural difficulties
- Integration of key concepts from Childhood and Youth studies into school environments
PASS : 50-59%: Clear evidence of planning leading to a good structure, sound understanding of theories and analysis, and good use of research supported by appropriate evidence. Limited generalisation of implications for practice settings.
MERIT :60-69% : Shows significant insight, offers sustained and relevant analysis, well researched and referenced and written with a clear structure and style. Clearly demonstrates understanding of generalisation of implications for practice settings.
DISTINCTION : 70-84%: Demonstrates excellence in power of analysis, argument, originality, range of research, organisation and stylistic quality. Excellent understanding of generalisation of implications for practice settings.
DISTINCTION : 85-100%: Outstanding work which demonstrates exceptional scholarship and is worthy of publication, or instrumental in developing professional practice. Exemplary understanding of generalisation of implications for practice settings.
- Critically eveluate the concepts of behaviour management and beyond the and describe how they interact with current legislative framework.
- Critically evaluate the principles of positive nurturing environments in schools and how these help model effective self-emotional regulation
- Critically evaluate, based on best evidence, how issues surrounding the concept of behaviour management, including discipline, bullying, exclusion, and home-school agreements can be most effectively addressed.
- Critically evaluate current educational practices and how they impact upon the behaviour
- Critically evaluate the process of formal and informal assessment of pupils with social, emotional and behavioural difficulties
- Critically evaluate the Response to Intervention (RTI) framework and explain how a school-wide system of managing relationships and behaviour and emotional wellbeing for staff and pupils can enable ‘every’ child achieve their best
Describe how effective behaviour management strategies can be implemented with fidelity in a variety of educational settings from classroom to local education authority.
- Explain how whole school issues relating to relationships and behaviour management meet the needs of pupils with additional learning needs, particularly social, emotional and behavioural difficulties.
|Written assignment, including essay||Academic Poster||
Create an academic poster of up to 1,000 words for teachers and school leaders that outlines key messages about managing behaviour effectively. The key messages should be based on current evidence of what works, reports and national guidance
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Interactive blended learning lectures incorporating short videos and interactive tasks and related to in-classs and structured discussion.
Discussion seminars ins small groups linked to lecture context and required readings.
Private study including assessments and required readings for lecture preparation and seminar participation.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Show originality in the application of subject specific knowledge and understanding.
- Adapt and transfer ideas from one educational context to another.
- Identify problems, evaluate solutions and critique research associated with educational practice.
- Acquire and analyse data in an educational context.
- Adopt an ethically sound approach to research with children and vulnerable adults.
Show appreciation of how theory applies in a variety of practice settings. Appreciation of systems level impact on practice settings.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/xme-4082.html
- Ayers, H., Clarke, D. & Murray, A. (2000) Perspectives on behaviour: a practical guide to interventions for teachers, David Fulton.
- Biglan, A. (2015). The Nurture Effect.
- Clough, P., Garner, P., Pardeck, J. T. & Yuen, F. (Eds.) (2004) Handbook of Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties, Sage.
- Freiberg, H. J. (1998) Beyond Behaviorism: Changing the Classroom Management Paradigm, Allyn & Bacon.
- Hughes, L. and Cooper, P. (2007) Understanding and Supporting Children with ADHD: Strategies for Teachers, Parents and Other professionals, Paul Chapman Publishing
- Lemov, D. (2015). Teach like a champion 2.0: 62 techniques that put students on the path to college. John Wiley & Sons.
- Osler, A. & Starkey, H. (2005) Changing Citizenship: Democracy and Inclusion in Education, Open University Press.
- Christodoulou, D., 2014. Seven myths about education. Routledge.
- Christodoulou, D., 2017. Making good progress?: The future of Assessment for Learning. Oxford University Press-Children.
- Additional Learning Needs (ALN) in Wales [https://gov.wales/sites/default/files/publications/2018-11/additional-learning-needs-and-education-tribunal-wales-act-2018-implementation-guide-for-individual-development-plans.pdf]
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- X3BF: MA Childhood and Youth year 1 (MA/CHY)