Scientific Writing & Comm II
Rhedir gan School of Psychology
10 Credyd neu 5 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Tracey Lloyd
This module will further exercise and develop the core skills required to communicate effectively within science generally, and within psychology specifically. The aim of this module is to develop students' scientific skills profiles and to encourage them to feel confident in their ability to disseminate ideas effectively using a variety of mediums and within a psychological community.
Students will develop a range of transferable communication skills on this module. The module will include the following components:
Writing for Science (WfS): Students will participate in workshops to further develop their science writing skills
Dissemination of Information (DoI): Students will hear a series of research talks and will communicate the content of these in writing
Psychology Oral Presentation Practice Skills (POPPS): Students will take part in peer led small group practice sessions for developing oral presentation skills
A typical curriculum will include workshops and lectures on: Essay planning, thesis statements, using feedback effectively, credible sources and advanced referencing and critical thinking skills.
D+ to D-
- A basic knowledge and understanding of topic areas presented.
- A description of research presented, with some sections covered clearly
- Some structural issues and only some of the relevant information within the field covered.
- Little demonstration of some independent research from academic sources outside of lectures and recommended readings
- Few logically presented and factually correct arguments, mostly undefended by sound scientific evidence
- Little original interpretation applied to problems, with few synthesis and critical thinking skills shown
- Weak presentation of material, with little adherence to APA standards and lack of clear communication of scientific content.
- Adequate oral presentation skills shown
B+ to B-
- A good knowledge and understanding of topic areas presented.
- A scientific description of research presented, with most sections covered clearly and succinctly
- Well-structured and mostly relevant coverage of the current field.
- A demonstration of some independent research from academic sources outside of lectures and recommended readings
- Mostly logically presented and factually correct arguments, often defended by sound scientific evidence
- Some original interpretation applied to problems, with good synthesis and critical thinking skills shown
- Good presentation of material, mostly adhering to APA standards and communicating scientific content well
- Good oral presentation skills shown
C+ to C- range answers will reflect the same criteria but to a somewhat lower standard
A** to A-
- A comprehensive knowledge and detailed understanding of topic areas presented.
- A highly scientific description of research presented, with all sections covered clearly and succinctly.
- Well-structured and highly relevant coverage of the current field.
- A clear demonstration of independent research from academic sources outside of lectures and recommended readings.
- Logically presented and factually correct arguments, defended by sound scientific evidence
- Original interpretation applied to problems, with excellent synthesis and critical thinking skills shown.
- Excellent written presentation of material, fully adhering to APA standards and clearly communicating scientific content.
- Excellent oral presentations skills shown.
Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of communication in science.
Demonstrate competent science writing, using format, language, and style appropriate for scientific discourse.
Demonstrate a clear understanding and/or application of the APA formatting rules and scientific writing style and conventions.
Present information about one or more of the major areas of psychology in a logical, informative and scientifically appropriate manner.
Discuss and evaluate some of the critical and contentious issues currently being debated in the field of psychology.
Develop confidence and scientific style in oral presentation of psychological material
Demonstrate the ability to communicate scientific research in both written and oral formats
Participation in POPPS groups
|LLAFAR||POPPS Small Roles||
Completion of POPPS small roles.
|LLAFAR||POPPS PS 1||
Completion of Prepared Speech 1
|LLAFAR||POPPS PS 2||
Completion of Prepared Speech 2
|LLAFAR||POPPS IMP 1||
Completion of Impromptu Speech 1
|LLAFAR||POPPS IMP 2||
Completion of Impromptu Speech 2
|ASESIAD FFURFIANNOL||WFS Essay Draft||
A draft essay for use as a formative exercise. Students will work on this draft following class feedback.
|GWAITH CWRS||DoI Assignment||
Students will write a magazine article from a given research talk.
|GWAITH CWRS||WfS Essay Assignment||
Students will write a critical essay based on current scientific research in the field.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Psychology Oral Presentation Practice Sessions (POPPS)
Writing for Science (WfS) small group workshops
Dissemination of Information research talks
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Understand the scientific underpinnings of psychology as a discipline.
- Apply multiple perspectives to psychological issues and integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in psychology.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in written form.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in oral form.
- Be computer literate for the purpose of processing and disseminating psychological data and information.
- Retrieve and organise information effectively.
- Handle primary source material critically.
- Engage in effective teamwork for the purpose of collaborating on psychological projects.
- Be sensitive and react appropriately to contextual and interpersonal psychological factors.
- Use effectively personal planning and project management skills.
- Work effectively under pressure (time pressure, limited resources, etc) as independent and pragmatic learners.
- Problem-solve by clarifying questions, considering alternative solutions, making critical judgements, and evaluating outcomes.
- Reason scientifically and demonstrate the relationship between theory and evidence.
- Employ evidence-based reasoning and examine practical, theoretical and ethical issues associated with the use of different methodologies, paradigms and methods of analysis in psychology.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/ppp-1006.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- X320: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Seicoleg year 1 (BA/APIS)
- MC98: BA Criminology/Psychology year 1 (BA/CRP)
- X319: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Psychology year 1 (BA/CYP)
- CQ83: BA English Language & Psychology year 1 (BA/ELPSY)
- R181: BA French with Psychology (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/FPIE)
- R1C8: BA French with Psychology year 1 (BA/FPSY)
- R2C8: BA German with Psychology year 1 (BA/GPSY)
- Q1C8: BA Linguistics and Psychology year 1 (BA/LP)
- CL83: BA Sociology/Psychology year 1 (BA/PS)
- CL84: BA Social Policy/Psychology year 1 (BA/SPP)
- CL85: BA Social Policy & Psychology with International Experience year 1 (BA/SPPIE)
- C8N2: BSc Psychology with Business Management year 1 (BSC/PBM)
- C880: BSC Psych with Cl & Hlth Psych year 1 (BSC/PHS)
- C88B: BSc Psychology w Clin & Health Psy (4yr with Incorp Found) year 1 (BSC/PHS1)
- 8X44: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology (Int Exp) year 1 (BSC/PHSIE)
- C88P: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psy with Placement Yr year 1 (BSC/PHSP)
- C804: BSc Psychology (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/PIE)
- C800: BSC Psychology year 1 (BSC/PS)
- C81B: BSc Psychology (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BSC/PS1)
- C80F: BSc Psychology year 1 (BSC/PSF)
- C80P: BSc Psychology with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/PSP)
- C813: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psychology year 1 (BSC/PSYFP)
- C81P: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psychology with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/PSYFPP)
- C801: BSC Psychol w Neuropsychol year 1 (BSC/PSYN)
- C83B: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology (4yr with Incorp Found) year 1 (BSC/PSYN1)
- C809: BSc Psychology with Neuropsy (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/PSYNIE)
- C84P: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/PSYNP)
- 2R87: BSc Psychology with Business year 1 (BSC/PWB)
- C82B: BSc Psychology with Business (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 1 (BSC/PWB1)
- 2R88: BSc Psychology with Business with International Experience year 1 (BSC/PWBIE)
- M1C8: LLB Law with Psychology year 1 (LLB/LPSY)
- C808: MSci Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology year 1 (MSCI/PHS)
- C810: MSci Psychology with International Experience year 1 (MSCI/PIE)
- C807: MSci Psychology year 1 (MSCI/PS)