Rhedir gan School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Andrew McStay
The purpose of this dual-coded course is to offer students insight into the nature functioning and implications of the modern advertising industry. Focusing on digital media, it considers the history and business of digital advertising, the media environment, how it works, creativity, audiences, technology, threats to the industry, policy and regulation, profiling, privacy, and future trends. By means of weekly case studies students will eventually use theoretical, technical, legal and industrial insight to make recommendations to key stakeholders on trends and best ethical practice.
Topics may include: an overview of digital affordances; examination of the history of digital advertising; analysis of of how it works; consideration of creativity; assessment of key contemporary issues; analysis of media properties and how these may be "hacked"; consideration of new forms of digital profiling, laws and regulations; debating art versus science in advertising; and wider social and moral questions germane to advertising.
C- i C+
Work at this level (C- to C+) will demonstrate above average writing skills, background research and conceptual understanding and a degree of success in using these to understand digital advertising.
At B- to B+ a greater attempt to engage with ideas will have been made. Mistakes may still have been made but the student will have read more broadly and understood their examples in greater depth (whether this be a law, company, technology or other aspect of digital advertising).
Work at this level (D and D+) will demonstrate adequate writing skills, a limited amount of background research, some attempt to grapple with concepts and a degree of success in using these to understand digital advertising. At threshold level mistakes will have been made in comprehension and thereafter application.
At this level of A- and above students will display mature appreciation of digital advertising, its multifaceted nature, theoretical and ethical implications, and will have made an attempt to synthesize this understanding (to compare and contrast, and arrive at an argument). Students will also be able to make rich connections between theory and the real world so to advance understanding of either/both theory or/and appreciation of a practical digital advertising matter.
To have a strong awareness of technical factors that inform digital advertising
To be able to critically analyse digital advertising to advise on best ethical practice
Apply and critique governance frameworks that should guide modern advertising
Synthesise, theorise and make sense of the complexity of digital advertising
|CYFLWYNIAD GRWP||Seminar Presentation||
The presentation will be 15 minutes long and will be supported by fully referenced slides submitted through Turnitin. Students will then lead the rest of a given seminar (approx 30-40 minutes), although this will not be assessed. A group mark will be awarded.
|TRAETHAWD||Report: Stakeholder recommendations||50|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
The lecture format will be employed, although the lecturer will be sensitive to need for high levels of interaction so as to ensure comprehension.
This will involve reading course materials and beyond. The latter will encompass academic sources, but also industry reports, policy documents and relevant news sources to be advised by the lecturer.
These will primarily be student-led so as to encourage engagement and maintain weekly enthusiasm.
Students will be required to form study groups to explore topics, compare understanding and prepare for module tasks.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
Derived from QAA Communication, media, film and cultural studies
- Gather, organise and deploy ideas and information in order to formulate arguments cogently, and express them effectively in written, oral or other forms
- Retrieve and generate information, and evaluate sources, in carrying out independent research.
- Communicate effectively in interpersonal settings, in writing and a variety of media
- Deliver work to a given length, format, brief and deadline, properly referencing sources and ideas and making use, as appropriate, of a problem-solving approach.
- Put to use a range of information communication technology (ICT) skills and develop, as appropriate, specific proficiencies in utilizing a range of media technologies
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Minimal. Beyond the suggestion of buying the course textbook, there should be no other resource implications.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- P306: BA Media Studies year 3 (BA/MS)
- P31B: BA Media Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/MS1)
- 8U76: BA Media Studies (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/MSIE)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CHCS)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 3 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/CST1)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 3 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 3 (BA/CSTMUS)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTSP)
- WP83: BA Media Studies & Creative Wrtng year 3 (BA/CWMS)
- PQ53: BA English Language & Journalism year 3 (BA/ELJO)
- W620: BA Film Studies year 3 (BA/FLM)
- W62B: BA Film Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/FLM1)
- 2W89: BA Film Studies (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/FSIE)
- PP53: BA Journalism and Media Studies year 3 (BA/JMS)
- PP5B: BA Journalism & Media Studies (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BA/JMS1)
- 3HPQ: BA Media Studies and English Literature year 3 (BA/MEN)
- P3R1: BA Media Studies with French year 3 (BA/MSFR)
- P3R2: BA Media Studies with German year 3 (BA/MSG)
- P3R3: BA Media Studies with Italian year 3 (BA/MSIT)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 3 (BA/MSMUS)
- LP33: BA Media Studies and Sociology year 3 (BA/MSSOC)
- P3R4: BA Media Studies with Spanish year 3 (BA/MSSP)
- P3R5: BA Media Stud with Spanish (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/MSSPIE)
- P3W9: BA Professional Writing and Media year 3 (BA/PWM)
- M1P1: LLB Law with Media Studies year 3 (LLB/LMS)
- W900: MArts Creative Practice year 3 (MARTS/CP)
- P308: MArts Media year 3 (MARTS/MED)
- W891: MArts Professional Writing year 3 (MARTS/PW)