The Study of Music (jt-hnrs)
Rhedir gan School of Music and Media
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Prof Chris Collins
- To acclimatise students to the demands of joint honours degrees involving Music in Bangor.
- To equip students with the skills required for musicological study and related endeavours at degree level.
- To ensure that students have a good basic knowledge of music composed during the period from around 1000 AD to the present day
- To ensure that students have a sound understanding of compositional process, historical context and cultural significance of a selective body of works composed during the period in question.
- To enable students to develop and expand aptitude for constructive listening, score-reading and research.
- To introduce students to important issues in current musicology.
The module surveys the history of Western music from around 1000 AD to the present day. Selected works in a range of art music and popular styles will be studied in detail, and changes and developments in musical style will be set in their historical, cultural, social, geographical and aesthetic contexts. Furthermore, the module will encourage the development of a range of skills required for the study of music at degree level, and will form the foundation for musicological study carried out in Years 2 and 3 and beyond.
Work which demonstrates a limited knowledge of the subject, with restricted ability at conceptual thought, little evidence of a truly intellectual approach, but nevertheless expressed understandably.
Work which demonstrates a competent grasp of the subject, with good conceptual thought, evidence of intellectual acumen, and expressed clearly and interestingly.
Work which demonstrates a thorough grasp of the subject, with evidence of further study and deeper conceptual thought, with some originality of approach and/or insight, and expressed coherently and convincingly.
On completion of the module, the student should be able to demonstrate a knowledge of specific works, repertoires and contexts in music history from c. 1000 CE to the present day.
On completion of the module, the student should be able to recognise genres, styles and musical features from the periods studied.
On completion of the module, the student should be able to analyse music from scores and performances.
On completion of the module, the student should be able to identify specified repertoire aurally.
On completion of the module, the student should be able to research topics in music history independently.
On completion of the module, the student should be able to communicate ideas effectively.
|PRAWF DOSBARTH||Repertoire test 1||10|
|PRAWF DOSBARTH||Repertoire test 2||10|
|PRAWF DOSBARTH||Repertoire test 3||10|
|PRAWF DOSBARTH||Repertoire test 4||10|
|TRAETHAWD||Essay 1 (unassessed)||0|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
2 lectures of 1 hour's duration per week (11 weeks per semester)
1 study skills workshop of 1 hour's duration in selected weeks (5 per semester)
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Musicianship skills – recognition, classification, contextualisation, reconstruction, exploration
- Intellectual skills specific to Music – contextual knowledge, cultural awareness, critical understanding, repertoire knowledge, curiosity, analytical demonstration
- Technological skills – digital capture, digital expression, digital innovation
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/wxm-1002.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Rhagofynnol ar gyfer:
- WXC-3115: Minimaliaeth
- WXM-2011: Musicology Year 2
- WXM-2209: Brazilian Music and Culture
- WXC-3216: Cerdd. Cymru A: 20 fed-g
- WXM-3115: Minimalism
- WXC-2115: Minimaliaeth
- WXM-2010: Zappa: the man and the music
- WXM-3009: 20th Century Women Composers
- WXM-2115: Minimalism
- WXM-3010: Zappa: the man and the music
- WXM-3209: Brazilian Music and Culture
- WXC-2216: Cerdd Cymru A: 20fed-g
- WXM-2019: Opera: Monteverdi to Mozart
- WXM-2269: Arts in the Community
- WXM-3019: Opera: Moteverdi to Mozart
- WXC-2011: Cerddoreg Blwyddyn 2
- WXM-2009: 20th Century Women Composers
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 1 (BA/CSTMUS)
- 32N6: BA English Literature and Music year 1 (BA/ELM)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 1 (BA/HMU)
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 1 (BA/MEE)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 1 (BA/MHIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 1 (BA/MSMUS)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 1 (BA/MUFR)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 1 (BA/MUGE)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 1 (BA/MUIT)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 1 (BA/MUSCW)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 1 (BA/MUSFS)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 1 (BA/MUSP)
- VVW3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Music year 1 (BA/PRM)
- H6W3: BSc Electronic Engineering and Music year 1 (BSC/EEM)