Zappa: the man and the music
Rhedir gan School of Music and Media
10 Credyd neu 5 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Pwyll ap Sion
Frank Zappa’s musical styles are so varied that he defies easy categorisation under the typical headings, such as rock musician, classical composer, avant garde sound artist etc. This module will approach Zappa’s ideas using a timeline structure, working through his life chronologically. Each new style or endeavour will be explored as and when they occurred in his remarkable career. The different lectures will cover Zappa’s inspirations, his compositional styles and techniques, criticism of his music and ideas, his varied non-classical styles, humour and satire in his music, the people he worked with, Zappa’s exploration into films and animation and finally, his classical music. The module will also discuss other relevant issues, including: whether the criticisms of Zappa’s ideas were, and are, valid; whether musicians should become involved in censorship and politics; where Zappa fits into 20th-century music, and what may be said of his legacy? This module will seek to help the student to: • Gain a sound working knowledge of Zappa’s prolific and diverse repertoire. • Undertake a technical evaluation of Zappa’s musical contribution as instrumentalist and composer to 20th-century music, in both the rock and classical avant-garde worlds. • Develop an informed awareness of Zappa’s wider cultural legacy as political activist and social critic.
In this module, Frank Zappa’s music and life will be explored chronologically, starting from his beginnings as a young musician in Baltimore to his classical compositions towards the end of his life. The subject matter to be covered throughout the lectures and seminars will comprise: Zappa’s compositional styles and influences; his engagement in political issues (including censorship); humour and satire in his music; his classical works; his collaborations, and the legacy left by him.
Work which displays basic knowledge of the subject, with limited ability at conceptual thought and musical analysis, and a limited awareness of issues, but has some evidence of a generally intellectual approach, with fair expression
Work which displays a sound grasp of the subject, adequate control of music-analytical and critical tools and conceptual engagement, expressed intelligibly and interestingly
Work which demonstrates a thorough grasp of the subject and mastery of music-analytical and critical tools, with evidence of further study, outstanding intellectual engagement and originality of approach and/or insight, expressed convincingly and compellingly
Upon successful completion of the module, a student will be able to apply the knowledge gained about Frank Zappa’s music and its range of compositional styles to one or more specific examples.
Upon successful completion of the module, a student will be able to evaluate scholarly literature (textual and audio-visual) about Frank Zappa and his music.
Upon successful completion of the module, a student will be able to analyse one or more extracts from works by Frank Zappa.
Upon successful completion of the module, a student will be able to demonstrate skills in communication.
Essay questions are provided in the module booklet, distributed at the start of the module.
Presentations will be held during the course of the semester on dates agreed with the module tutor. Depending on the class size it may be necessary to hold one or more separate sessions for student presentations.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Private study, including lecture preparation (reading, listening, watching) and assignments. Each week students will be expected to spend at least two hours on assigned (unassessed) preparation tasks.
11 weekly lectures (2 hours each)
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Intellectual skills specific to Music – contextual knowledge, cultural awareness, critical understanding, repertoire knowledge, curiosity, analytical demonstration
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/wxm-2010.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 2 (BA/ACC)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 2 (BA/CSTMUS)
- 32N6: BA English Literature and Music year 2 (BA/ELM)
- VW23: BA Hanes Cymru a Cherddoriaeth year 2 (BA/HCAC)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 2 (BA/HMU)
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 2 (BA/MEE)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 2 (BA/MHIE)
- W303: BA Music (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/MIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 2 (BA/MSMUS)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 2 (BA/MUFR)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 2 (BA/MUGE)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 2 (BA/MUIT)
- W300: BA Music year 2 (BA/MUS)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/MUSCW)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 2 (BA/MUSFS)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 2 (BA/MUSP)
- VVW3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Music year 2 (BA/PRM)
- QW53: BA Cymraeg/Music year 2 (BA/WMU)
- W304: BMus Music (with International Experience) year 2 (BMUS/MIE)
- W302: BMUS Music year 2 (BMUS/MUS)