Rhedir gan School of Music, Drama and Performance
10 Credyd neu 5 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Pwyll ap Sion
This module forms part of the Genre/Composer modules according to the School of Music’s Programme specifications. It main aim is to provide a detailed introduction to the composer and area in question, and to ensure that all learning outcomes are met.
This course will begin by looking at the meaning of the term 'minimalism' in art and music and trace its evolution in the early works of La Monte Young and Terry Riley. Discussion of Steve Reich's landmark essay 'Music as a Gradual Process' will be followed by analyses of works by Reich, Glass, Adams and the module will end by looking at the contribution of more recent European composers and the emergence of Postminimalism during the late 1970s and early 1980s.
Work which demonstrates a limited knowledge of the subject, with restricted ability at conceptual thought, little evidence of a truly intellectual approach, but nevertheless expressed understandably.
Work which demonstrates a competent grasp of the subject, with good conceptual thought, evidence of intellectual acumen, and expressed clearly and interestingly.
Work which demonstrates a thorough grasp of the subject, with evidence of further study and deeper conceptual thought, with some originality of approach and/or insight, and expressed coherently and convincingly.
On successful completion of the module, students will be able to demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of the term Minimalism as applied to music.
On successful completion of the module, students will be able to show that they have familiarised themselves with the music of composers associated with the term Minimalism.
On successful completion of the module, students will be able to apply critical and analytical skills acquired during their first-year studies to this area.
On successful completion of the module, students will be able to demonstrate an appreciation of Minimalist music and its connections with culture and society.
On successful completion of the module, students will be able to demonstrate skills of communication.
One 6-minute presentation (25%) in week 11.
One essay of 2,500 words (75%), to be submitted by noon on Tuesday Week 13 (7 May 2019).
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
One class of up to 2 hours every week for 11 weeks, with a reading with in week 6.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Musicianship skills – recognition, classification, contextualisation, reconstruction, exploration
- Creative skills – conception, elaboration, adaptation, presentation, collaboration, preservation
- Intellectual skills specific to Music – contextual knowledge, cultural awareness, critical understanding, repertoire knowledge, curiosity, analytical demonstration
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/wxm-2115.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 2 (BA/ACC)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 2 (BA/CSTMUS)
- 32N6: BA English Literature and Music year 2 (BA/ELM)
- VW23: BA Hanes Cymru a Cherddoriaeth year 2 (BA/HCAC)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 2 (BA/HMU)
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 2 (BA/MEE)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 2 (BA/MHIE)
- W303: BA Music (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/MIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 2 (BA/MSMUS)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 2 (BA/MUFR)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 2 (BA/MUGE)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 2 (BA/MUIT)
- W300: BA Music year 2 (BA/MUS)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/MUSCW)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 2 (BA/MUSFS)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 2 (BA/MUSP)
- VVW3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Music year 2 (BA/PRM)
- QW53: BA Cymraeg/Music year 2 (BA/WMU)
- W304: BMus Music (with International Experience) year 2 (BMUS/MIE)
- W302: BMUS Music year 2 (BMUS/MUS)