Diss.: Music in the Community
Rhedir gan School of Music and Media
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Gwawr Ifan
The dissertation is an independent piece of writing, for 20 credits of 6000-8000 words on a subject selected by the candidate in consultation with a member of staff and approved by the Board of Examiners. This selection and approval takes place in the Summer term immediately preceding Year 3. The writing should take account of previous relevant research but demonstrate originality of mind in approach and argument. Credit will be given for quality of ideas, clarity and logic of argument, suitability of bibliography, and elegance of presentation.
The dissertation in Music in the Community is an independent piece of writing focusing on some area of music in the community. It may be the only dissertation you are writing, or it may be a second dissertation in a contrasting area to your longer main dissertation. The dissertation in Music in the Community may be a self-contained study focusing on a set topic (such as an aspect of music therapy), or it may involve a practical element, such as market research undertaken on behalf of an Arts Centre or Festival, with a view to producing a series of recommendations on policy. In many cases the project will follow on from skills learned or small-scale projects undertaken during one of the pre-requisite modules (Arts Administration and/or Music in the Community). The topic will be selected by the student in consultation with a member of staff and approved by the Board of Examiners in the normal manner. This selection and approval takes place in the summer term immediately preceding Year 3. The writing should take account of previous and current relevant research but demonstrate originality of mind in approach and argument. Credit will be given for quality of ideas, clarity and logic of argument and presentation, suitability of bibliography, and elegance of presentation.
Work which displays basic, restricted knowledge of the subject, with simple ability at conceptual thought, and a limited awareness of issues, but has some evidence of a generally intellectual approach, with fair expression
The work should display a sound grasp of the subject, a good level of conceptual thought, awareness of the main issues, with evidence of intellectual acumen and good expression
Work which displays a thorough grasp of the subject, with evidence of further study, deeper thought, originality of approach and excellent written skills
On completing the module students will be able to demonstrate mature powers of sustained independent enquiry.
On completing the module students will be able to critically analyse some aspect of music in the community, or issues related to it.
On completing the module students will be able to apply research skills in the search for and use of primary and secondary scholarly material.
On completing the module students will be able to demonstrate enhanced communication skills.
Full details are provided in the module handbook.
Full details of the presentation requirements are provided in the module handbook.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Each student will be assigned a supervisor who will arrange supervisions as appropriate amounting to a minimum total duration of 4 hours; these are customarily more frequent at the beginning and end of the period of study. It is the student’s responsibility to arrange supervisions. Students taking only the Dissertation in Music in the Community are also encouraged to attend the group seminars arranged for other dissertation students taking WXM3276 and WXM3277
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Intellectual skills specific to Music – contextual knowledge, cultural awareness, critical understanding, repertoire knowledge, curiosity, analytical demonstration
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
- Enhanced powers of imagination and creativity (4.17)
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
If applicable (in terms of the project), the student will be responsible for - arranging their own DBS check; - travel expenses to/from project location.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/wxm-3275.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 3 (BA/ACC)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 3 (BA/CSTMUS)
- 32N6: BA English Literature and Music year 3 (BA/ELM)
- VW23: BA Hanes Cymru a Cherddoriaeth year 3 (BA/HCAC)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 3 (BA/HMU)
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 3 (BA/MEE)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 4 (BA/MHIE)
- W303: BA Music (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/MIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 3 (BA/MSMUS)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 4 (BA/MUFR)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 4 (BA/MUGE)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 4 (BA/MUIT)
- W300: BA Music year 3 (BA/MUS)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/MUSCW)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 3 (BA/MUSFS)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 4 (BA/MUSP)
- VVW3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Music year 3 (BA/PRM)
- QW53: BA Cymraeg/Music year 3 (BA/WMU)
- W304: BMus Music (with International Experience) year 4 (BMUS/MIE)
- W302: BMUS Music year 3 (BMUS/MUS)