Attack and Defence in Plants
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Anil Shirsat
This module aims to: 1. Give students an appreciation and understanding of the strategies that plants use to cope with external challenges such as pathogen and pest attack. 2. Give students an appreciation of cutting-edge current research into plant molecular biology by discussing ongoing research within SBS.
The strategies that plants employ to respond to biotic and abiotic stresses are currently the subject of intensive research, much of it at the molecular level. This module examines how higher plants cope with external challenges such as pathogen and pest attack by initiating specific gene expression programmes that act to minimise and overcome the effects of the stress. Topics covered include changes in cell wall protein composition in response to wounding and mechanical stress; the synthesis of phytoalexins; the role jasmonate, systemin, and salicylic acid play in localised and systemic responses; the induction of the systemic acquired resistance response and the use of transgenics to unravel the function of extensin cell wall proteins within the plant. The course will be illustrated with examples of ongoing research that is currently in progress within SBS.
To gain a good mark of 60% or above the student must additionally be able to provide a wide range of appropriate examples when responding to unseen questions.
To gain a mark of 70% or above, the student must show a comprehensive understanding of the lecture material, the answer should be well organised and to the point, and examples from additional reading (not part of the course) should be provided. This answer should give the impression of the student being an authority on the subject.
A threshold mark equates to basic understanding of the lecture material and knowledge of at least parts of the underlying experimental evidence.
Appreciate that the complexity of plant defence responses is a consequence of variations of gene expression.
Research the most recent topics in plant defense and prepare a presentation.
Appreciate that plant defence responses are varied and complex and differentiated in timing.
Demonstrate knowledge of the major pathways involved in plant defence and how they can be studied at the molecular level.
Demonstrate an integrated understanding of the response of the plant to pathogen and pest attack.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Fourteen lectures dealing with aspects of plant defense against pathogens, pests and wounding
Students should study the Powerpoint presentations and read the online research papers which are integral to understanding this module. Students will also be directed to the relevant primary literature, book sections and internet resources, which they will be expected to read during the allotted private study time
Students will be given a topic related to plant defense and be expected to review the literature and prepare a presentation. The material presented must be new i.e not already covered in the lectures.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Develop and identify research question(s) and/or hypotheses as the basis for investigation.
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Collect, analyse and interpret primary and/or secondary data using appropriate qualitative and/or quantitative techniques.
- Engagement with current subject developments and their application.
- Engage in debate and/or discussion with specialists and non-specialists using appropriate language.
- Demonstrate the independence and skills required for continuing professional development
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/bsx-3154.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- C100: BSC Biology year 3 (BSC/B)
- C10F: BSc Biology year 3 (BSC/BF)
- C511: BSc Biology with Biotechnology year 3 (BSC/BIOT)
- C102: BSc Biology (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/BITE)
- C300: BSC Zoology year 3 (BSC/Z)
- C305: BSc Zoology with Animal Behaviour (with International Exp) year 4 (BSC/ZABIE)
- C3L2: BSC Zoology with Conservation year 3 (BSC/ZC)
- C319: BSc Zoology with Climate Change Studies year 3 (BSC/ZCC)
- C327: BSc Zoology with Climate Change Studies w International Exp year 3 (BSC/ZCCIE)
- C3L3: BSc Zoology with Conservation with International Experience year 4 (BSC/ZCIE)
- C3L4: BSc Zoology with Conservation with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/ZCP)
- C30F: BSc Zoology year 3 (BSC/ZF)
- C304: BSC Zoology with Herpetology year 3 (BSC/ZH)
- C307: BSc Zoology with Herpetology (with International Experience) year 3 (BSC/ZHIE)
- C324: BSc Zoology with International Experience year 4 (BSC/ZIE)
- C3C1: BSc Zoology with Marine Zoology (with International Exp) year 4 (BSC/ZMB)
- C350: BSC Zoology with Marine Zoology year 3 (BSC/ZMZ)
- C329: BSc Zoology with Primatology year 3 (BSC/ZP)
- C32P: Zoology with Primatology with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/ZPP)
- C330: BSc Zoology with Ornithology year 3 (BSC/ZR)
- C3D3: BSC Zoology with Animal Behaviour year 3 (BSC/ZWAB)
- C3DP: BSc Zoology with Animal Behaviour with Placement Year year 3 (BSC/ZWABP)
- C101: MBiol Master of Biology year 3 (MBIOL/BIO)
- C510: MBiol Biology with Biotechnology year 3 (MBIOL/BIOT)
- C302: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour year 3 (MZOOL/AB)
- C30P: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour with Placement Year year 3 (MZOOL/ABP)
- CD34: MZool Zoology with Conservation year 3 (MZOOL/CONS)
- CD3P: MZool Zoology with Conservation with Placement Year year 4 (MZOOL/CONSP)
- C303: MZool Zoology with Herpetology year 3 (MZOOL/HERP)
- C325: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour with International Exp year 4 (MZOOL/ZAIE)
- C321: MZool Zoology with Climate Change year 3 (MZOOL/ZCC)
- C326: MZool Zoology with Herpetology with International Experience year 4 (MZOOL/ZHIE)
- C353: MZool Zoology with Marine Zoology year 3 (MZOOL/ZMZ)
- C37P: MZool Zoology with Marine Zoology with Placement Year year 3 (MZOOL/ZMZP)
- C306: MZool Zoology (with International Experience) year 4 (MZOOL/ZOIE)
- C301: MZool Master of Zoology year 3 (MZOOL/ZOO)
- C333: MZool Zoology with Primatology year 3 (MZOOL/ZP)
- C334: MZool Zoology with Ornithology year 3 (MZOOL/ZR)