Human Aspects of Conservation
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Freya St John
Conservation actions that respond to threats to biodiversity and the natural world cannot be isolated from the societal context in which they occur. Because of this, conservation science as a discipline has increasingly incorporated social science theories. This module aims to explore the nature of human actions within conservation. The module will focus on how conservation activities can be conditioned, influenced and affected by factors such as: religion and belief systems, human behaviour, rule breaking and illegal activities and socio-economic status.
The module will focus on the following key themes:
- Conservation and human behaviour
- Conservation and rural development
- Rule-breaking in conservation
- Conservation conflicts
The module will have a global focus and use examples from across the world.
Grades D- to C+ Online test: Adequate understanding of key concepts. Limited ability to generate descriptive statistics from a quantitative dataset.
Policy brief: Adequate subject knowledge showing some understanding of the multi-disciplinary nature of processes and events. Some engagement with the literature. Standard of written communication could be improved.
Report: Displays adequate subject knowledge and is able to draw basic conclusions. The report is focused on the topic, but with room for improvement. Displays some evidence of engagement with the literature but this is limited and/or poorly referenced. Standard of written communication good be improved.
Grades B- to B+ Online test: Good understanding of key concepts. Ability to generate correct descriptive statistics from a quantitative dataset.
Policy brief: Good subject knowledge and understanding of the multi-disciplinary nature of processes and events. Good engagement with the literature. High standard of written communication.
Report: Displays strong subject knowledge and understanding of key concepts. The report is focused on the topic in question and addresses it clearly. Good engagement with the literature evidenced through citing and referencing. A high standard of written communication incorporating a good standard of data presentation.
Grades A- and above Online test: Clear understanding with wide and thorough knowledge of key concepts. Ability to generate correct descriptive statistics from a quantitative dataset.
Policy brief: Excellent subject knowledge. Understanding of the multi-disciplinary nature of processes and events. Excellent engagement with the literature. Elegant and flowing presentation, with flair for subject.
Report: Excellent subject knowledge and understanding of key concepts. The report is focused and demonstrates critical thinking and original interpretation and argument. Excellent engagement with the literature and clear citing and referencing. Elegant and flowing written communication incorporating an excellent standard of data presentation.
To be able to manipulate a quantitative data sets and produce statistical outputs.
To critically evaluate the impact of human behaviour on decision-making within conservation.
To be able to discuss approaches to understanding and evaluating the influence of human behaviour on conservation.
To be able to accurately explain and exemplify the social context of conservation activities.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
92 hour lectures 21 hour lectures
Undertaking independent and guided self-study.
|Practical classes and workshops||
22 hour taught computer practicals 22 hour computer practical drop-in sessions
Data collection exercise
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Appreciate the interdisciplinary and/or reciprocal nature of relationships within the subject area.
- Understand the provisional nature of information and appreciate competing and alternative explanations.
- Recognize the moral, ethical and social issues relating to the subject.
- Conduct fieldwork and/or laboratory work competently with awareness of appropriate risk assessment and ethical considerations
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Collect, analyse and interpret primary and/or secondary data using appropriate qualitative and/or quantitative techniques.
- Apply appropriate techniques for presenting spatial and/or temporal trends in data.
- Prepare effective maps, diagrams and visualizations.
- Undertake field and/or laboratory studies to ensure competence in basic experimental and/or fieldwork skills.
- Engagement with current subject developments and their application.
- Engage in debate and/or discussion with specialists and non-specialists using appropriate language.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/dxx-3801.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- D447: BSC Environmental Conservation year 3 (BSC/ECON)
- D448: BSC Environmental Conservation year 4 (BSC/ECON4)
- D451: BSc Environmental Conservation (International Experience) year 4 (BSC/ENIE)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- C183: BSC Appl.Terrestrial & Marine Ec 4 year 4 (BSC/APTME)
- C185: BSc Applied Terrestrial & Marine Ecology with Intl Exp (5yr) year 4 (BSC/APTMIE)
- C180: BSc Appl. Terrestrial &Marine Ec year 3 (BSC/ATME)
- C184: BSc App Terrestrial & Marine Ecology with Intl Experience year 4 (BSC/ATMEIE)
- DDK5: BSC Conservation & Forest Ecosys. year 3 (BSC/CFE)
- DDL5: BSC Conservation and Forest Ecosys year 4 (BSC/CFE4)
- D503: BSc Conservation with Forestry with International Experience year 4 (BSC/CFIE)
- 5DKD: BSc Conservation with Forestry year 3 (BSC/CWF)
- 5DLD: BSc Conservation with Forestry (four year) year 4 (BSC/CWF4)
- C328: BSc Wildlife Conservation year 3 (BSC/WLC)
- C332: BSc Wildlife Conservation with Place Yr year 4 (BSC/WLCP)