Rhedir gan School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences
10 Credyd neu 5 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Tommie Du Preez
What do you think is the activity people spend most of their waking hours doing? Is your answer sitting? To put things in perspective, population-based studies indicate that we spend on average about 50% of our waking hours sitting. Sedentary behaviour such as sitting is linked with a multitude of adverse health outcomes such as cardiovascular diseases, hypertension, stroke, osteoporosis, depression and cancers that lead to premature mortality. Indeed, increasingly sedentary behaviour is ‘killing us softly’, which makes exercise crucial to our health and well-being across our lifespan.
Throughout this course, we will explore the psychology of exercise by examining the latest research and how we can translate these understandings into simple applications to encourage people around us to engage in regular exercise.
In this course, you will explore a range of topics such as social cognitive models of exercise behaviour; the role of autonomy in exercise promotion; affective responses to exercise; exercise affect and exercise adherence; implicit social cognition; fitness and cardiovascular reactivity to stress. Besides appreciating the relevant research, this course is also focused on the applications of exercise psychology in the real world. To achieve this, students will gain first-hand experience in laboratory sessions on how to apply exercise psychology in an exercise setting. Further, assessment in this course will be based fully on the experiences in the laboratory sessions so that learning outcomes relevant to the real life applications of exercise psychology.
Module failure that prevents you passing the year will require resit assessment and attendance at Supplementary Assessment Week (exact date TBC but expected to be second week of July 2018).
Shows very good understanding of the theory and evidence of wider reading/independent research. Demonstrates a solid understanding of the analysis and results. Accurate interpretation of the results. Critical discussion of the results.
Shows little understanding of the theory and no evidence of wider reading/independent research. Demonstrates partial understanding of the analysis and results. Lacks accuracy interpretation of the results. No insightful or critical discussion of the results.
Shows in-depth understanding of the theory and evidence of wider reading/independent research. Demonstrates a strong understanding of the analysis and results. Highly accurate interpretation of the results. Insightful and critical discussion of the results.
Demonstrate an ability to collect and interpret lab-based exercise psychology data.
- Understand the differences between the principle constructs in social-cognitive models.
- Be able to critically assess the limitations of social cognitive models of exercise behaviour.
- Be able to generate questionnaire items to empirically examine the relationships between beliefs and expectancies about exercise and the adoption or maintenance of exercise behaviour.
- Demonstrate an ability to conduct a data collection, manage data in SPSS, interpret the data and write a brief research paper.
|Data collection and management.||10|
|Brief journal-style report.||60|
|Lab practical report||30|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Lectures based on practical activities.
Interactive and student-led.
Interactive and student-led.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- research and assess paradigms, theories, principles, concepts and factual information, and apply such skills in explaining and solving problems
- critically assess and evaluate data and evidence in the context of research methodologies and data sources
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- develop a sustained reasoned argument, perhaps challenging previously held assumptions
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- take and demonstrate responsibility for their own learning and continuing personal and professional development
- self-appraise and reflect on practice
- demonstrate evidence of competence in the scientific methods of enquiry, and interpretation and analysis of relevant data and statistical outputs.
- develop transferable skills of relevance to careers outside of sport, health and exercise sciences.
- develop knowledge of psychometric instruments
- accurately interpret case study data
- demonstrate effective robust data collection methods
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/jxh-2037.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C680: BSc Sport and Exercise Psychology year 2 (BSC/SEXP)
- CB69: BSC Sport, Health & Exercise Sci. year 2 (BSC/SHES)
- C600: BSC Sports Science year 2 (BSC/SPS)
- C60F: BSc Sports Science year 2 (BSC/SPSF)
- C604: BSc Sports Science (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/SSIE)
- C608: MSci Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences year 2 (MSCI/SHS)
- C607: MSci Sport Science year 2 (MSCI/SS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- CQ65: BA Cymraeg/Sports Science year 2 (BA/SPSW)
- C611: BSc Adventure Sport Science year 2 (BSC/ASS)
- C883: BSc Clinical Sports Science year 3 (BSC/CLSPS)
- C651: BSC Sport- Health & Physical Educ year 2 (BSC/SHPE)
- C602: BSC Sport Science (ODA) year 2 (BSC/SSOA)
- C612: MSci Adventure Sport Science year 2 (MSCI/ASS)
- C609: MSci Sport Science (Outdoor Activities) year 2 (MSCI/SSOA)