Globalisation & Social Change
Rhedir gan School of History, Philosophy and Social Sciences
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Marta Eichsteller
This module draws on theories of social structure and social change to account for the diversity of contemporary societies in the context of globalisation. The course will introduce students to key approaches to globalisation in sociology and related disciplines with a focus on critical debates over global society, culture and economics of globalisation.
The module aims:
- to examine macro-sociological theories, such as modernity, postmodernity, network society, etc.
- to demonstrate the value of the comparative method for explaining the trajectories of social change – within the EU, East-West and North South divisions.
- to familiarise students with the analysis and interpretation of social data from a range of national and European sources, including UN, EU and national databases.
• theories of social change • demographical changes to the modern societies • debating and explaining globalisation • migration • capitalism and globalisation • politics, the state and globalisation • power and inequality in the global economy • globalisation movements • global culture
Display a thorough, critical understanding of major social theories and their relevance for the interpretation of contemporary societies; use complex comparisons to help explain the trajectories of global social trends; and show sophisticated competence in the analysis of social data from a range of national and international sources.
Display an adequate understanding of major social theories and their relevance for the interpretation of contemporary societies; use simple comparisons to help explain the trajectories of social trends; and show basic competence in the analysis of social data from a range of national and international sources.
Display a good understanding of major social theories and their relevance for the interpretation of contemporary societies; use multi-way comparisons to help explain the trajectories of global social trends; and show reflexive competence in the analysis of social data from a range of national and international sources.
Use comparative perspective to analyse a selected topic related to social change and globalisation.
Give a theoretically informed account of the diversity of social structures in contemporary world.
Effectively communicate the above both orally and in writing.
Display competence in the use and interpretation of social and political data from range of national and international sources.
|2,000 Word Essay||45|
|Exam One Hour s1||50|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Lecture weekly (weeks 1-12).
Seminar weekly (weeks 2-9).
Self-study, reading and writing.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- X315: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Sociology year 3 (BA/CYSS)
- LL13: BA Sociology/Economics year 3 (BA/ECS)
- LL2B: BA Sociology & Economics (4 yr with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/ECS1)
- LQ3J: BA English Lang. & Sociology year 3 (BA/ELSOC)
- LL53: BA Health & Social Care/Sociology year 3 (BA/HSCS)
- LP33: BA Media Studies and Sociology year 3 (BA/MSSOC)
- CL83: BA Sociology/Psychology year 3 (BA/PS)
- L300: BA Sociology year 3 (BA/S)
- L31B: BA Sociology (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/S1)
- LM40: BA Sociology & Criminology & Crim Just with International Ex year 4 (BA/SCJIE)
- LM39: BA Sociology and Criminology & Criminal Justice year 3 (BA/SCR)
- 3L3Q: BA Sociology and English Literature year 3 (BA/SEL)
- LV31: BA Sociology/History year 3 (BA/SH)
- 8Y70: BA Sociology (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/SIE)
- LQ31: BA Sociology/Linguistics year 3 (BA/SL)
- LL34: BA Sociology and Social Policy year 3 (BA/SOCSP)
- LVH2: BA Welsh History/Sociology year 3 (BA/WHS)
- LQ35: BA Cymraeg and Sociology year 3 (BA/WS)
- L302: MSocSci Sociology year 3 (MSOCSCI/S)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- M93B: BA Criminology & Criminal Just (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BA/CCJ1)
- M931: BA Criminology & Criminal Justice with International Exp year 4 (BA/CJIE)
- M930: BA Criminology & Criminal Justice year 3 (BA/CRIM)
- X317: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Social Policy year 3 (BA/CYSP)
- L700: BA Geography year 3 (BA/GEOG)
- L701: BA Geography (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/GEOGIE)
- LL54: BA Hlth & Scl Care/Social Policy year 3 (BA/HSCSP)
- L41B: BA Social Policy (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/SOCP1)
- L402: BA Social Policy year 3 (BA/SOCPOL)
- LM50: BA Social Policy and Criminology and Criminal Justice (IE) year 4 (BA/SPCIE)
- LM49: BA Social Policy/Criminology year 3 (BA/SPCR)
- LL14: BA Social Policy/Economics year 3 (BA/SPEC)
- LL1B: BA Social Policy & Economics (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BA/SPEC1)
- LV41: BA Social Policy/History year 3 (BA/SPH)
- CL84: BA Social Policy/Psychology year 3 (BA/SPP)
- M108: LLB Law with Social Policy (International Experience) year 4 (LLB/LIF)
- M1L4: LLB Law with Social Policy year 3 (LLB/LSP)
- M1LB: LLB Law with Social Policy (4 yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (LLB/LSP1)
- F801: MGeog Geography year 3 (MGEOG/G)
- F805: MGeog Geography with International Experience year 4 (MGEOG/GIE)
- M932: MSocSci Criminology & Criminal Justice year 3 (MSOCSCI/CCJ)
- L403: MSocSci Social Policy year 3 (MSOCSCI/SP)