Introduction to Machine Learning and Analytics
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Ludmila Kuncheva
To introduce the fundamentals of machine learning and analytics to a non-specialist audience.
Indicative content includes:
- Overview of the structure of the field.
- Basic principles of machine learning and data analytics.
- Standard and advanced classifiers.
- Clustering and feature selection.
- Elements of data analytics. Descriptive statistics.
- Deep Learning neural networks
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevant areas of knowledge and theory to construct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Equivalent to 50%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Perform elementary data analysis (descriptive statistics, visualisation, simple regression).
Understand the fundamentals of machine learning and data analytics.
Apply clustering and feature selection to real-life problems.
Understand deep learning neural networks and their applications.
Understand and apply classification methods to synthetic and real datasets.
|2-hour exam of type "Choose any 2 of 4", consisting of problems to solve by hand. The problems will be similar to those in the labs and assignments. All notes, books, and internet resources are...||60.00|
|A collection of small problems based on the second half of the module . Hand-crafted solutions and short Python code solutions are expected.||20.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Depending on the requirements, the material will be delivered as full-hour lectures or on-line or lectures of suitable duration. The lectures will be staggered so as to give the students sufficient time to absorb the material. The total timing will be roughly 24 hours of lectures.
|Practical classes and workshops||
Part of the course material will be taught through regular lab sessions held either face-to-face or online. The total time will amount to 24 hours.
Time for the students to revise the material taught in the lectures and the practical sessions, and to prepare for the assessments.
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Knowledge and understanding of facts, concepts, principles & theories
- Problem solving strategies
- Specify, design or construct computer-based systems
- Deploy tools effectively
- Development of general transferable skills
- Methods, techniques and tools for information modelling, management and security
- Defining problems, managing design process and evaluating outcomes
- Knowledge and/or understanding of appropriate scientific and engineering principles
- Knowledge and understanding of mathematical principles
- Knowledge and understanding of computational modelling
- Principles of appropriate supporting engineering and scientific disciplines
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr