Skills for Learning & Work
Rhedir gan School of Education and Human Development
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Nia Young
The aim of the module is to help the students to learn effectively and develop a range of key and transferable skills in context of their own personal styles and approaches. The content will help students feel confident in their abilities to work with children, young people and other professionals and reflect on their own practice. It enables students to identify their current strengths and weaknesses in setting personal targets as part of the process of becoming an independent learner. This is the foundation for understanding and engaging with continual development which will benefit both students and the children and young people they work with. It will also focus on the oral and written communication skills needed to undertake a degree programme, and to help students understand their learning behaviour and that of others to gain motivation and confidence. This module also contains the Bangor Oral Presentation Sessions (BOPS) and sessions will be held during Semester 2.
This module will consider several elements which will assist you in your studies as well as prepare you for the world of work and help you fulfil your potential. This module will consider a range of learning theories, including the intellectual theories of Gardner, Salvey, Mayer and others; and how these are relevant to the personal learning methods of our students. The content of the modules will connect with your Personal Development Plan.
• develop the students’ skills with regard to reading and note taking strategies;
• summarise, reference, and effective use of the on-line library service;
• develop theoretic and reflective writing skills including reviewing and evaluating text..
• Develop editing and proofreading skills with regard to personal work
• Give students the opportunity to develop confidence when giving oral presentation via preparing presentations to peers, or through preparing blogs or vlogs. Consider performance anxiety and how to manage it.
• Consider the importance of positive psychology and emotional intelligence when working with children, young people, families and other professionals.
• Develop the students’ understanding of themselves, their values, beliefs and resilience in order to provide appropriate boundaries and reflect on relationships in work with children and young people.
• Consider the effects of motivation on learning and help students develop awareness of their own and others learning and motivation. Evaluate their learning experiences, their successes and challenges. How to respond to feedback.
• Time management and prioritising tasks.
D-, D, D+: A satisfactory understanding of one’s own ability to learn effectively; an ability to research and present one’s work in oral and written presentations in an appropriate academic style and to an adequate standard. Be able to search for and refer to reliable sources and use as a basis for work. Show an understanding of useful skills for planning and preparing assignments.
C-, C, C+: A good understanding of one’s own ability to learn effectively; an ability to research and present one’s work in oral and written presentations in an appropriate academic style and to a good standard. Be able to search for and refer to a range of reliable sources and use as a basis for work. Show a good understanding of useful skills for planning and preparing assignments and make effective use of these.
A-, A, A+, A, A*: A comprehensive understanding of one’s own ability to learn effectively; an ability to research extensively and present one’s work in oral and written presentations in an appropriate academic style and to a very high standard. Be able to search for and refer to a wide range of reliable sources and use as a sound basis for work. Show an excellent understanding of a range of useful skills for planning and preparing assignments and make appropriate choices for their use for a range of assignments.
Organize their learning and knowledge using a range of information sources and present their work appropriately
Develop an understanding of own learning style(s), development and experiences
Demonstrate an understanding of learning, motivation, and emotional intelligence and consider how different learning styles can be supported.
Apply the knowledge and understanding in developing their own skills in context of their own studies
Develop academic research and writing skills appropriate to undergraduate study
Develop confidence through oral presentations and investigating various communication styles (BOPS)
|PRAWF DEALLTWRIAETH||Referencing Task||10.00|
|CYNLLUN YSGRIFENEDIG||Work plan||25.00|
|CYFLWYNIAD UNIGOL||BOPS Presentation||25.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
11 @ 2hours/week
11 @ 1hours/week BOPS 'Bangor Oral Presentation Skills': to be introduced in 202-21. Whilst this element sits within the Skills module, it runs as a peer-led learning scheme that is separate to the main lecture and seminar content of this module.
Seminars will be run by different members of the BACYS team, to offer focused sessions relating to the different Yr 1 modules and their academic content.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- apply multiple perspectives to early childhood issues recognising that early childhood studies involves a range of research methods theories evidence and applications
- integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in early childhood studies and recognise distinctive early childhood studies approaches to relevant issues
- constructively critique theories practice and research in the area of child development
- generate and explore hypotheses and research questions relating to early childhood in an ecological context
- the underlying values, theories and concepts relevant to education
- the diversity of learners and the complexities of the education process
- analyse educational concepts, theories and issues of policy in a systematic way
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/xae-1026.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- X319: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Psychology year 1 (BA/CYP)
- X313: BA Childhood and Youth Studies year 1 (BA/CYS)
- X317: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Social Policy year 1 (BA/CYSP)
- X315: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Sociology year 1 (BA/CYSS)