XUE-1047 Professional Practice 1
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
30.000 Credyd neu 15.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Mr Dewi Rowlands
The module develops the students' knowledge and understanding of the professional aspects connected with a career in product design and manufacture. It focuses on the needs of the individual within the workplace, workplace management, leadership, innovation as well as key issues related to design and manufacture, and varieties of communication within the workplace.
The lectures in this module directly inform and influence the workplacement module 1048. Students are expected to research and familiarise themselves with the lecture content and embed their learning into the workplacement report of module 1048.
The second element of this module involves academic writing - students will research two given topics and submit their essays. Topics revolve around themes such as innovation processes, global trends, personal development, design thinking and strategy.
The third element of this module consists of a 4 week long team task (random mix of First, Second and Third Year students) to engage and respond to an industrial live brief set by one of our partner companies. This aspect of the module is assess by a team Viva before a panel of judges. This task and its assessment replicates the process by which designers working in a team would present their delivered outcome to a client.
- Design Processes and Toolkits
- Effective Teams
- External Communication in Business
- Internal Communication in Business
- Design Management
- Report writing
See the learning outcomes.
A good overall grasp of all the learning outcomes and how they relate to one another.
A very good grasp of all the learning outcomes and the ability to reflect on their relationship to one another in an analytic way.
Develop a basic knowledge and understanding of leadership, management, teams, including successful business strategies and marketing
Develop a basic knowledge and understanding of quality control and quality assurance systems employed industrially
Develop a basic knowledge and understanding in academic writing, including research methods, and academic conventions
Develop a basic knowledge and understanding of design thinking, design process, innovation and their roles in creating successful business models
Develop a basic knowledge and understanding of the three aspects of sustainability (People Profit Planet), including design related sustainability models and toolkits
Present and evaluate team management, focus and direction
Present and reflect on team task design decisions
Present and reflect on team task prototype testing
Present and evaluate personal contribution and self-evaluation
|Team Task Viva Presentation 1||50.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Apply convergent and divergent thinking in the processes of observation, investigation, speculative enquiry, visualisation and/or making for problem solving and generating well-informed critical viewpoints
- Generate ideas, concepts, proposals, solutions or arguments independently and/or collaboratively in response to set briefs and/or as self-initiated activity
- Relate the manipulation of materials to the process of identifying design needs, researching and generating ideas as prototypes, models or proposals to promote intellectual and practical learning.
- Develop the skills, knowledge, and processes of the subject within a meaningful and coherent context, not in isolation
- Apply specialised ICT hardware and software related to Product Design and Technology effectively, including desktop publishing, web based media, computer-aided design and computer-aided manufacturing systems (CAD/CAM).
- Be conversant with all practical elements of health and safety within the design and manufacture of products.
- Make informed choices regarding social, ethical and environmental issues which are related to the processes of design and manufacture
- Work effectively and in an organised manner within subject specific tasks
- Develop the skills, qualities and attributes required for working independently, as a participating member of a team and across organizations, through the close working relationships between students, lecturers, and industrialists.
- Appropriately implement the skills, knowledge, and understanding gained in both college and industrial situations
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W240: BSC Product Design year 1 (BSC/PD)
- W242: BSc Product Design with International Experience year 1 (BSC/PDIE)