Advanced German 2
Rhedir gan School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Prof Anna Saunders
- To develop students' aural comprehension skills through group conversation exercises and selected audio-visual materials varying in tone and register.
- To develop students’ ability to interpret, analyse and critically evaluate short and longer cultural texts (short stories and short films in S1; novel and film in S2)
- To enable students to develop oral skills, and to become confident with German phonology.
- To enhance vocabulary acquisition and incorporate key expressions into oral work.
- To discuss and defend arguments and ideas in group discussions and in-class presentations.
- To understand some key debates informing contemporary German identity
Students on this module will be working towards achieving B2 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
This topic-based module complements LZG 1001 by developing proficiency in spoken German acquired at 'A' level. A range of audio and visual aids is used in each class in order to stimulate group discussions, debates and individual presentations on a particular theme. Aural skills are also developed through audio and video comprehension exercises. The purpose of this module is to enable students to defend themselves orally in a range of topics relating to contemporary life and society in the German-speaking world and to improve comprehension of different German accents
Set Texts: Birgit Braun, Stefanie Dengler, Nadja Fügert, Sandra Hohmann: "Mittelpunkt neu B1+ Deutsch als Fremdsprache für Fortgeschrittene Lehr- und Arbeitsbuch + Audio-CD zum Arbeitsbuch" (ISBN 978-3-12-676645-6) Albert Daniels, Renate Köhl-Kuhn, Klaus F. Mautsch, Ilse Sander, Heidrun Tremp Soares: "Mittelpunkt neu B2. Lehrbuch" (ISBN 978-3-12-676652-4)
Deutschland 09. 13 Kurzfilme zur Lage der Nation, dir. by Dani Levi, Fatih Akin et al. (piffl medien, 2009)
- The dictionaries and websites listed for LZG-LCG 1001 are also useful for students on this module.
Other Learning Resources: Course Reader will be provided with extra materials needed for class Students registered for this module (and for LZG-LCG 1001) are expected to complete the School’s co-curricular Self-Study Portfolio which is available to download from the School’s website. This portfolio encourages students to read German-language newspapers and watch German TV and German films. They should also complete online grammar exercises and read one German-language novel per semester. Students should complete one portfolio for German per semester.
40-49%: Basic grasp of German pronunciation; basic understanding of aural material in German. Limited ability to converse freely in German and respond to spoken material; limited ability to present and defend a Referat in German.
50-69%: Good grasp of German pronunciation; good understanding of aural material in German. Some ability to converse freely in German and respond to spoken material; ability to present and defend a Referat in German.
70+%: Excellent grasp of German pronunciation; excellent understanding of aural material in German. Clear ability to converse freely in German and respond to spoken material; clear ability to present and defend a Referat in German.
Use their vocabulary and knowledge of German grammatical structures to express themselves
Engage with German language in spoken form, understanding, reacting and responding to it in an interactive context
Discuss and defend a presentation topic orally in a Referat.
Explore and evaluate some of the key themes and debates dominating contemporary German culture and, where applicable, discuss these as part of a group or in a written assignment.
Demonstrate an ability to extract and use information presented in audio-visual sources to answer questions in the target language.
|Free-writing cultural exercise||25|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
1 x cultural class (1 hour per week for 11 weeks per semester) 1 x conversation class (1 hour per week for 11 weeks per semester)
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- 4. Effective oral communication and presentation skills (including delivery and argument development, discussion and defence) in the target language through individual and/or group discussions. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- 5. The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in oral assignments, showing familiarity with a range of topics and registers in formal and informal situations. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- 6. Develop aural comprehension skills in the target language, supported by a wide range of appropriate materials in different media. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Students will have to purchase two textbooks which will be the core text for Semester 1 and 2 in all classes.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/lzg-1002.html
Core text Semester 1: Birgit Braun, Stefanie Dengler et al.: "Mittelpunkt neu B1+. Lehr- und Arbeitsbuch + Audio-CD zum Arbeitsbuch B1 Plus", ISBN: 978-3-12-676645-6
Core text Semester 2: Albert Daniels, Renate Köhl-Kuhn et al.: "Mittelpunkt neu B2. Lehrbuch B2", ISBN: 978-3-12-676652-4
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cydofynnol ar gyfer:
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- N1R2: BA Business Studies with German year 1 (BA/BSGER)
- NR1F: BA Business Studies and German year 1 (BA/BUSSG)
- T111: BA Chinese and French with German year 1 (BA/CHFG)
- T105: BA Chinese and German year 1 (BA/CHG)
- T114: BA Chinese and German with French year 1 (BA/CHGF)
- T115: BA Chinese & German with Italian year 1 (BA/CHGI)
- T116: BA Chinese & German with Spanish year 1 (BA/CHGS)
- T118: BA Chinese & Italian with German year 1 (BA/CHIG)
- T121: BA Chinese & Spanish with German year 1 (BA/CHSG)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTG)
- QR3F: BA English Language and German year 1 (BA/ELG)
- R901: BA French & German with Italian year 1 (BA/FGI4)
- R916: BA French, German & Italian year 1 (BA/FGI4#)
- R913: BA French & German with Spanish year 1 (BA/FGS4)
- R912: BA French, German & Spanish year 1 (BA/FGS4#)
- R918: BA French & Italian with German year 1 (BA/FIG4)
- R1R2: BA French with German year 1 (BA/FRWGER)
- R914: BA French & Spanish with German year 1 (BA/FSG4)
- PR32: BA Film Studies and German year 1 (BA/FSGER)
- RR12: BA German/French year 1 (BA/G4F)
- NR42: BA German/Accounting year 1 (BA/GA)
- NR32: BA German/Banking year 1 (BA/GB)
- R2NC: BA German with Business Studies year 1 (BA/GBS)
- T109: BA German with Chinese year 1 (BA/GCH)
- MR92: BA Criminology&CrimJustice/German year 1 (BA/GCR)
- LR12: BA German/Economics year 1 (BA/GEC)
- 3N7S: BA German and English Literature year 1 (BA/GEL)
- R200: BA German year 1 (BA/GER)
- R2W8: BA German with Creative Writing year 1 (BA/GERCW)
- R2N1: BA German with Marketing year 1 (BA/GERMKT)
- R2R1: BA German with French year 1 (BA/GERWFR)
- RR23: BA German/Italian year 1 (BA/GI)
- R2R3: BA German with Italian year 1 (BA/GI4)
- R921: BA German & Italian with French year 1 (BA/GIF4)
- R924: BA German & Italian with Spanish year 1 (BA/GIS4)
- R925: BA German, Italian & Spanish year 1 (BA/GIS4#)
- R2P5: BA German with Journalism year 1 (BA/GJO)
- R2P4: BA German with Media Studies year 1 (BA/GMST)
- R2C8: BA German with Psychology year 1 (BA/GPSY)
- RR24: BA German/Spanish (4 years) year 1 (BA/GS)
- R2R4: BA German with Spanish year 1 (BA/GS4)
- R922: BA German & Spanish with French year 1 (BA/GSF4)
- R923: BA German & Spanish with Italian year 1 (BA/GSI4)
- 8Y64: BA German and Spanish (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/GSIE)
- RV21: BA History/German year 1 (BA/HG)
- R927: BA Italian & Spanish with German year 1 (BA/ISG4)
- QR12: BA Linguistics/German year 1 (BA/LG)
- N5R2: BA Marketing with German year 1 (BA/MKTGER)
- NR52: BA Marketing and German (4 year) year 1 (BA/MKTGER4)
- P3R2: BA Media Studies with German year 1 (BA/MSG)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 1 (BA/MUGE)
- VVR2: BA Philosophy and Religion and German year 1 (BA/PRG)
- R4R2: BA Spanish with German year 1 (BA/SPG)
- CR62: BA Sports Science/German year 1 (BA/SPSG)
- QR52: BA Cymraeg/German year 1 (BA/WG)
- M117: LLB Law with German (European Experience) year 1 (LLB/LGE)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- M100: LLB Law year 1 (LLB/L)
- M11B: LLB Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (LLB/L1)