Biology for Medical Sciences
Rhedir gan School of Medical and Health Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Gwyndaf Roberts
This module aims to introduce students to the essential knowledge and understanding of biochemistry, molecular and cellular biology that are of particular importance to medical sciences. They will develop their interest in biology and be able to apply their knowledge to further their understanding biomedical concepts.
During the course of this module students will explore the following fundamental aspects of biology including:
- Eukaryotic and prokaryotic cell biology.
- Inheritance and evolution.
- Cellular communication.
- The immune response.
D- to D+ A threshold student should have basic knowledge of the essential facts and key concepts presented in the module. The work incompletely covers the module material and there may be no argument and lack of examples & support.
A- to A An excellent student should have a thorough factual knowledge across all aspects of the module and be able to detailed examples where appropriate, supported by additional reading and knowledge drawn from other modules. Evidence of critical thinking and wider reading is essential for A+ and A marks.
B- to B+ A good student should have a thorough factual knowledge across all aspects of the module, and be able to detail examples where appropriate. The work shows a thorough understanding based on the presented material. The argument is logic and well supported.
Students will be able to apply their knowledge of the structure of DNA to explain how the mechanisms of inheritance can lead to evolution.
Students will be able to compare and contrast the several types of cellular communication found in a multicellular organism.
Students will be able to apply their knowledge to suggest explanations for unfamiliar biological observations.
Students will be able to recognise the differences between eukaryotic and prokaryotic cells.
Students will be able to summarise the different roles cells perform during an immune response.
|ARHOLIAD||Semester 1 MCQ||
Students will sit an exam consisting of MCQ style questions covering all topics discussed in the lectures to date. This exam will be available online.
|GWAITH CWRS||Academic Poster||
Students will produce an academic poster on a biological newsworthy item which will then be marked against criteria shared beforehand.
|ARHOLIAD||Semester 2 Exam||
Students will sit an exam consisting of two sections covering all topics discussed in the lectures: (A) MCQ style questions; (B) short answer exam questions. This exam will be available online.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Students will have up to 40h of contact time across the two Semesters.
Semester 1 9x2h lectures and 1x2h revision session.
Semester 2 9x2h lectures and 1x2h revision session.
Please note, for 2021/22, a blended learning style of delivery may be used. Students unable to attend Bangor University campus will be able to follow all aspects of the teaching online. On-campus teaching may be integrated, subject to Covid-19 related restrictions.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
All resources needed to complete this module are provided. Computers can be accessed in multiple locations across the university. All teaching materials will be available on Blackboard. Completed assignments will be uploaded onto Turnitin through Blackboard. Limited number of textbooks will be available through the University library.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/mse-0001.html
Life: The Science of Biology (2016) by Sadava, Hillis, Heller and Hacker