Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Nathan Abrams
- To introduce students to the key developments in film history;
- To equip students with the language and skills required to understand film as a product of its time which reflects upon its social and political context;
- To explore the relationship between film, history and cultural change;
- To equip students with the appropriate critical vocabulary;
- To enable students to construct a written and oral argument to a deadline.
This module aims to provide students with an understanding of the link between film technologies, narratives, styles, genres, and subjects, and the societies in which film circulates. Lectures will introduce students to a range of important changes which have influenced the development of film as a medium. The module will help students to situate the selected films in their cultural, political, historic, and technological context. Lectures cover topics such as: Early Cinematic Milestones, Soviet Montage, German Expressionism, Surrealism, the Introduction of Diegetic Sound, the Classical Hollywood Studio System, Post-War Japanese Cinema, Italian Neo-Realism, and the French New Wave.
Weekly screenings illustrate issues covered in lectures and associated readings, and will provide a case study for weekly workshops.
Films/shorts to be screened may include: Le Voyage dans la Lune (Méliès, 1902), Man with a Movie Camera (Vertov, 1929), M (Lang, 1931), Blackmail (Hitchcock, 1929), Der Blaue Engel (Von Sternberg, 1930), Citizen Kane (Welles, 1941), Roma, Città Aperta (Rossellini, 1945), Rashomon (Kurosawa, 1950), Ladri di Biciclette (De Sica, 1948), À bout de soufflé (Godard, 1960).
- Knowledge of key areas/principles only
- Weaknesses in understanding of main areas
- Limited evidence of background study
- Answer only poorly focussed on question and with some irrelevant material and poor structure
- Arguments presented but lack coherence
- Several factual/computational errors
- No original interpretation
- Only major links between topics are described
- Limited problem solving
- Many weaknesses in presentation and accuracy
- Strong knowledge
- Understands most but not all
- Evidence of background study
- Focussed answer with good structure
- Arguments presented coherently
- Mostly free of factual and computational errors
- Some limited original interpretation
- Well known links between topics are described
- Problems addressed by existing methods/approaches
- Good presentation with accurate communication
- Comprehensive knowledge
- Detailed understanding
- Extensive background study
- Highly focussed answer and well structured
- Logically presented and defended arguments
- No factual/computational errors
- Original interpretation
- New links between topics are developed
- New approach to a problem
- Excellent presentation with very accurate communication
Be able to identify the key movements and developments in the production and distribution of the moving image across a range of cultures, genres, and film producing nations.
Have a clear grasp of the technical vocabulary required for analysing the moving image when approached from a range of theoretical perspectives.
Have a developed understanding of generic and narrative structure.
Work successfully in groups and demonstrate developed presentation skills.
Demonstrate an ability to research and write well constructed essays.
Be able to utilise a range of sources and materials to carry out independent research.
Be able to recognise, analyse, and understand the importance of situating a variety of film forms within a context.
|Weekly Reading and Seminar Logbook||30.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
2 hour screening per week
1 hour workshop per week
1 hour lecture per week
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- Q3WP: BA Eng Lang with Film Studs year 1 (BA/ELFS)
- W620: BA Film Studies year 1 (BA/FLM)
- W62B: BA Film Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BA/FLM1)
- W62P: BA Film Studies with Placement Year year 1 (BA/FLMP)
- T125: BA Film Studies and Chinese year 1 (BA/FSCH)
- P3W8: BA Film Studies and Creative Writing year 1 (BA/FSCW)
- 3P3Q: BA Film Studies and English Literature year 1 (BA/FSEL)
- PQ3J: BA Film Studies and English Language year 1 (BA/FSELAN)
- PR31: BA Film Studies and French year 1 (BA/FSFR4)
- PR32: BA Film Studies and German year 1 (BA/FSGER)
- P3V1: BA Film Studies and History year 1 (BA/FSH)
- P0R3: BA Film Studies and Italian year 1 (BA/FSI)
- 2W89: BA Film Studies (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/FSIE)
- PR34: BA Film Studies and Spanish year 1 (BA/FSSPAN4)
- P3W5: BA Film Studies with Theatre and Performance year 1 (BA/FSTP)
- P35W: Film Stud with Theatre & Performance with International Exp. year 1 (BA/FSTPIE)
- R2W6: BA German with Film Studies year 1 (BA/GFS)
- R2P4: BA German with Media Studies year 1 (BA/GMST)
- V1W6: BA History with Film Studies year 1 (BA/HFS)
- V1W7: BA History with Film Studies with International Experience year 1 (BA/HFSIE)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 1 (BA/MUSFS)
- W6W8: BA Professional Writing & Film year 1 (BA/PWF)
- VP23: BA Welsh History and Film Studies year 1 (BA/WHFS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CHCS)
- WPQ1: BA Creative Studies (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/CSIE)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BA/CST1)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 1 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 1 (BA/CSTMUS)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTSP)
- Q310: BA Eng Lit with Eng Lang year 1 (BA/ELEL)
- 065C: BA English Literature with Journalism year 1 (BA/ELJ)
- 32M8: BA English Literature with Theatre and Performance year 1 (BA/ELTP)
- 8H25: BA English Literature year 1 (BA/ENGL)
- 8H2P: BA English Literature with Placement Year year 1 (BA/ENGLP)
- 8H26: BA English Literature (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/ENIE)
- R1P3: BA French with Media Studies year 1 (BA/FRMS)
- R4P3: BA Spanish with Media Studies year 1 (BA/SPMS)