Animal Survival Strategies
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Nia Whiteley
On successful completion of the module, students will:
Summarise the strategies used by animals to avoid the extremes of environmental conditions.
Understand why animals have evolved complex and precise biological clocks with which to control a wide range of biological processes and rhythms.
Have knowledge of how animals use timekeeping skills to predict environmental events, optimise their life-history strategies, and how they assist them to orient and navigate over the surface of the earth.
Appreciate the problems presented to animals by freezing temperatures, lack of water and reduction in oxygen levels, and be able to outline the strategies needed to overcome these problems.
The module will concentrate on the behavioural and physiological strategies shown by animals to either avoid or survive extreme environments. Consideration will be given to those organisms that are able to survive extremes of environmental temperature and dehydration stress as well as reductions in oxygen levels. The module will describe ways in which animals avoid the extremes of environmental variation by showing rhythmic behaviour patterns, either on a daily, annual, or lunar basis. Avoidance strategies, such as torpor, hibernation and migration will also be covered. Case studies will be used throughout and include both invertebrate and vertebrate examples from a diversity of habitats.
The students should be able to express a basic factual knowledge of at least some part of the core material presented in the module, and be able to appreciate how the physiology of an organism fits it for its environment.
The student should be able to express a thorough factual knowledge of much of the core material presented in the module, and have a competent and detailed ability to critically evaluate the principles and processes governing the interactions of organisms and their environment. Some evidence of further reading and ability to integrate material from the full range of the lecture content.
The student should demonstrate comprehensive factual knowledge, critical understanding of theory, evidence of extra reading of primary literature and the ability to integrate this extra knowledge in a relevant manner.
Engagement with the essential facts, major concepts, principles and theories associated with the adaptations shown by animals to extreme environments (Benchmark 3.1).
Demonstrate an appreciation of the complexity and diversity of life processes through the study of organisms, their molecular, cellular and physiological processes (Benchmark 3.3).
Demonstrate an ability to analyse, synthesise and summarise information critically (Benchmark 3.5).
Develop practical skills, and interpersonal and teamwork skills by working jointly with other students to undertake a short practical project. (Benchmarks 3.4, 3.7 & 3.8).
Develop the skills necessary for developing the skills necessary for self-managed and lifelong learning (Benchmark 3.9).
|Practical assessment (Various hand in dates)||20|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
22 x 1 h lectures.
3 hours of practical work related to the lecture content and entitled Thermal Responses and Exercise.
At the beginning of the lecture series, the students will have to decide on a topic for a review essay which will be related to the content of the course.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Apply subject knowledge to the understanding and addressing of problems.
- Collect, analyse and interpret primary and/or secondary data using appropriate qualitative and/or quantitative techniques.
- Appreciation of the complexity and diversity of life processes through the study of organisms.
- Undertake practical work to ensure competence in basic experimental skills.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Laboratory coat. No
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/bsx-3144.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- CC13: BSC Marine Biology/Zoology year 3 (BSC/BMZ)
- 8B76: BSc Marine Biology and Zoology (with International Exp) year 4 (BSC/BMZIE)
- C300: BSC Zoology year 3 (BSC/Z)
- C305: BSc Zoology with Animal Behaviour (with International Exp) year 3 (BSC/ZABIE)
- C3L2: BSC Zoology with Conservation year 3 (BSC/ZC)
- C319: BSc Zoology with Climate Change Studies year 3 (BSC/ZCC)
- C3L3: BSc Zoology with Conservation with International Experience year 5 (BSC/ZCIE)
- C3L4: BSc Zoology with Conservation with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/ZCP)
- C304: BSC Zoology with Herpetology year 3 (BSC/ZH)
- C324: BSc Zoology with International Experience year 3 (BSC/ZIE)
- C3C1: BSc Zoology with Marine Zoology (with International Exp) year 3 (BSC/ZMB)
- C350: BSC Zoology with Marine Zoology year 3 (BSC/ZMZ)
- C329: BSc Zoology with Primatology year 3 (BSC/ZP)
- C330: BSc Zoology with Ornithology year 3 (BSC/ZR)
- C3D3: BSC Zoology with Animal Behaviour year 3 (BSC/ZWAB)
- C169: MSci Marine Biology and Zoology year 3 (MSCI/MBZ)
- C302: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour year 3 (MZOOL/AB)
- CD34: MZool Zoology with Conservation year 3 (MZOOL/CONS)
- C303: MZool Zoology with Herpetology year 3 (MZOOL/HERP)
- C325: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour with International Exp year 3 (MZOOL/ZAIE)
- C321: MZool Zoology with Climate Change year 3 (MZOOL/ZCC)
- C326: MZool Zoology with Herpetology with International Experience year 3 (MZOOL/ZHIE)
- C353: MZool Zoology with Marine Zoology year 3 (MZOOL/ZMZ)
- C306: MZool Zoology (with International Experience) year 3 (MZOOL/ZOIE)
- C301: MZool Master of Zoology year 3 (MZOOL/ZOO)
- C333: MZool Zoology with Primatology year 3 (MZOOL/ZP)
- C334: MZool Zoology with Ornithology year 3 (MZOOL/ZR)