Advanced GIS & Remote Sensing
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
10 Credyd neu 5 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Sopan Patil
This module aims to teach intermediate to advanced level concepts in the geographical information system (GIS) and introductory to intermediate level concepts in remote sensing. It will provide concise theoretical background, but focus primarily on hands-on training in several advanced features of the ArcGIS software. The module is intended for students who are already familiar with the GIS software and want to improve the breadth and depth of their knowledge and skills in GIS as well as remote sensing.
- Using Model Builder to automate complex and repetitive tasks in ArcGIS.
- Using ArcGIS Network Analyst to perform network analysis tasks such as calculation of shortest routes, travel times, multi-vehicle route optimization, and location allocation.
- Introductory concepts in Remote Sensing.
- Performing land cover classification of satellite images.
- 3D modelling of landscapes using ArcGlobe.
- Creating map animations using ArcScene.
Grades D to D+. Adequate knowledge of the key advanced concepts in GIS and introductory concepts in remote sensing. Evidence of limited ability in the use of advanced features of the ArcGIS software as well as in the production of well-structured and accurate maps to present the results from various spatial analyses. Basic level of critical evaluation expected.
Grades C- to B+. Clear understanding and thorough knowledge of the key advanced concepts in GIS and remote sensing with ability to independently use the advanced features of the ArcGIS software. Evidence of the knowledge of the connection between the theoretical concepts of spatial analyses and their practical implementation with the ArcGIS software. Demonstration of a good ability in producing well-structured and accurate maps for the presentation of results from various spatial analyses. High standard of presentation.
Grades A- to A**. Excellent understanding, wide and thorough knowledge of the numerous advanced concepts in GIS and remote sensing. Evidence of a substantial ability in the independent use of the advanced features of the ArcGIS software. Evidence of substantial reading and appreciation of the connection between the theoretical concepts of spatial analyses and their practical implementation with the ArcGIS software. Demonstration of an exceptional ability in producing well-structured and accurate maps for the presentation of results from various spatial analyses. Very high standard of presentation.
An ability to develop advanced map renderings, specifically 3D models and animations, using ArcGlobe and ArcScene extensions.
An understanding of network data models in GIS and the ability to use Network Analyst extension to perform network analysis tasks.
An understanding of basic remote sensing concepts and the ability to extract and calculate environmentally relevant information from satellite images.
An ability to automate complex and repetitive tasks in ArcGIS using Model Builder.
|GWAITH CWRS||Advanced concepts in ArcMap||34|
|GWAITH CWRS||Remote Sensing||33|
|GWAITH CWRS||3D modelling and map animations||33|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||18|
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Recognize and apply appropriate theories and concepts from a range of disciplines.
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Apply subject knowledge to the understanding and addressing of problems.
- Collect, analyse and interpret primary and/or secondary data using appropriate qualitative and/or quantitative techniques.
- Awareness of the concepts of spatial and temporal scale in understanding processes and relationships.
- Apply appropriate techniques for presenting spatial and/or temporal trends in data.
- Preparation of effective maps, diagrams and visualizations.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/dxx-3115.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- D512: MFor Forestry year 3 (MFOR/FOR)
- D514: MFor Forestry with International Experience year 4 (MFOR/FORIE)
- D513: MFor Forestry (with placement year) year 4 (MFOR/FORP)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- C183: BSC Appl.Terrestrial & Marine Ec 4 year 4 (BSC/APTME)
- C180: BSc Appl. Terrestrial &Marine Ec year 3 (BSC/ATME)
- C184: BSc App Terrestrial & Marine Ecology with Intl Experience year 4 (BSC/ATMEIE)
- DDK5: BSC Conservation & Forest Ecosys. year 3 (BSC/CFE)
- DDL5: BSC Conservation and Forest Ecosys year 4 (BSC/CFE4)
- D503: BSc Conservation with Forestry with International Experience year 4 (BSC/CFIE)
- 5DKD: BSc Conservation with Forestry year 3 (BSC/CWF)
- 5DLD: BSc Conservation with Forestry (four year) year 4 (BSC/CWF4)
- D501: BSc Forestry (with sandwich placement) year 4 (BSC/F)
- D502: BSc Forestry with International Experience year 4 (BSC/FIE)
- D500: BSC Forestry year 3 (BSC/FOR)
- F803: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 3 (BSC/GEF)
- F804: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 4 (BSC/GEF4)
- F800: BSC Geography year 3 (BSC/GEOG)
- F802: BSc Geography (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/GEOGIE)
- C328: BSc Wildlife Conservation year 3 (BSC/WLC)
- C332: BSc Wildlife Conservation with Place Yr year 4 (BSC/WLCP)
- F850: Master of Environmental Science year 3 (M/ENVSCI)
- F801: MGeog Geography year 3 (MGEOG/G)
- F805: MGeog Geography with International Experience year 4 (MGEOG/GIE)