Rhedir gan Bangor Business School
30.000 Credyd neu 15.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Siwan Mitchelmore
This module is designed for students undertaking a two-semester work placement as part of a four-year degree with work placement. The sandwich year may be taken at the beginning or end of the level 6 year. Students are away for the whole of the academic year. The minimum period in placement (at one or more locations) is seven calendar months; more usually students spend 10-12 months with a sandwich placement provider. Students normally start sometime in the period June to September of their second year and finish between June and September the following year. Students are expected to identify their own placement provider with the support of the University Careers Office and the School. The placement is not limited to locality and may be in the student’s home county or home country. All sandwich year placements must be approved by the module co-ordinator and Health and Safety Officer. Placement documents should be submitted by the deadlines in order for the necessary checks to be conducted and for the student to comply with financial requirements for student loans.
The practical element of the module comprises a block placement (of 7 to 12 months) taken at the beginning or end of the level 6 year. Students will register for the programme in the spring of their second year and will be provided with guidance on locating and applying for a placement. They will attend a series of work experience workshops during the spring to prepare them for the job search, creating applications and CVs, and preparing for the workplace environment. The student may begin their work placement at a date to be agreed between the student and employer, but not until the end of teaching for their current semester. The student will spend 7 to 12 months at the place of work and under the supervision of their employer.
(Grade D or C; mark range 40-59%): There are weaknesses in the way that the report is structured, resulting in repetition and/or lack of clarity. It contains descriptive text relating to the knowledge acquired by the student but with evidence that the descriptions have not been fully developed. Knowledge directly related to the student’s degree subject is described but with little emphasis on any other knowledge acquired. There is little analysis of the cultural influences on the interpretation and application of subject-specific knowledge and there is no evidence of critical evaluation. The report includes content in which the student evaluates the learning experience, mainly as a retrospective description of the placement experience with little emphasis on how the experiences might shape future learning.
(Grade B; mark range 60-69%): The report is logically structured. It contains detailed descriptive text relating to the knowledge acquired by the student. Knowledge directly and indirectly related to the student’s degree subject is described. There is some analysis of the cultural influences on the interpretation and application of subject-specific knowledge but there is little critical evaluation. The report includes substantial content in which the student evaluates the learning experience, mainly as a retrospective description of the placement experience with only some emphasis on how the experiences might shape future learning.
(Grade A; mark range 70-100%): The report is logically structured and with threads that create a holistic, coherent whole. It contains detailed and insightful descriptive text relating to the knowledge acquired by the student. Knowledge directly and indirectly related to the student’s degree subject is described with some exploration of the synergies between the various sources of knowledge. There is a well argued, critical analysis of the cultural influences on the interpretation and application of subject-specific knowledge. The report includes substantial content in which the student evaluates the learning experience, both as a retrospective description of the placement experience and as a critical reflection on how the experiences might shape future learning.
Understand and appreciate how businesses and organisations work and ability to act accordingly.
Respond positively to changing circumstances and new challenges.
Work with limited or no supervision and retain effectiveness while under pressure.
Deal effectively with challenges in employment.
Recognize and apply disciplinary understanding and subject knowledge to business and organisational issues and priorities in terms of both culture and economics.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Students will undertake a series of work experience workshops during the spring semester before their placement. Workshops will be provided by the Careers and Employability Service, Study Skills Team, and the student’s individual School or College. Workshop topics will include Placement Search, Preparing Applications, Placement Prep as well as such subjects as writing your placement proposal, writing your reflective account, health & safety in the workplace, data compliance, and money support.
Students will be based in a work environment for 7 months, which would normally equate to approximately 1,050 hours of work-based experience and learning.
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Self-management: a readiness to accept responsibility and flexibility, to be resilient, self-starting and appropriately assertive, to plan, organise and manage time.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- NN3P: BSc Acc & Banking with Place Yr year 3 (BSC/ACCBP)
- NL4P: BSc Accounting and Economics with Placement Year year 3 (BSC/ACCECP)
- NN4P: BSc Accounting and Finance with Placement Year year 3 (BSC/ACCFINP)
- L19P: BSc Business Economics with Placement Year year 3 (BSC/BECP)
- N39P: BSc Banking and Finance with Placement Year year 3 (BSC/BFINP)
- N2NP: BSc Business Management with Accounting with Placement Year year 3 (BSC/BMAP)
- NN2P: Business Management and Finance with Placement Year year 3 (BSC/BMFP)
- N5NP: BSc Business Management and Marketing with Placement Year year 3 (BSC/BMMP)
- N20P: BSc Business Management with Placement Year year 3 (BSC/BMPP)
- L11P: BSc Financial Economics with Placement Year year 3 (BSC/FINECP)
- N50P: BSc Marketing with Placement Year year 3 (BSC/MKTP)
- CN5P: Sport Science and Marketing with Placement Year year 3 (BSC/SSMP)