Parasites and Pathogens
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Henk Braig
The origins and effects of pathogens and parasites are used to deduct the biological principles unifying most human, animal and plant infectious disease processes. The module introduces the parasites and pathogens of the most important diseases and it analyses how and why the pathogens and parasites cause disease. The diversity of parasites and pathogens and the unique aspects of their biology are emphasised in the module. It highlights the possibilities and problems to control and treat these infections. Aspects relevant to ecology, conservation and other areas of biology are developed.
The list of content below is indicative. The final content is influenced by current events at the time of module delivery, such as in the past the outbreaks of SARS, MERS, or Zika, or breakthroughs in research and understanding of parasite and pathogen action and behaviour. If new content is added, present content is withdrawn to keep the number of lectures constant. It is the aim of the module to be as up-to-date as possible. During the first lecture students will also be asked about any special interests, for example, in parasitic plants, plant pathogens, influence of pathogens on the evolution of animals, or transmissible cancers of animals. • Pathogenesis – Pathogenesis cycle; asymptomatic infections; forms of transmission with examples of major human pathogens and parasites; cancer cells as infectious parasites; environmental effect on parasite diversity • Malaria of humans and animals – most important parasitic disease; biology of Alveolata; malaria life cycle; malaria and climate change; premunition • Coccidia – Eimeria, specificity of parasites; Hepatozoon transmission; Cryptosporidium and drinking water quality; Toxoplasma, premunition, behaviour alterations, environmental impact • Schistosomiasis – biology of flatworms, life cycle of blood flukes • Trypanosomiasis –cellular and molecular biology of kinetoplasts, African sleeping sickness as a human disease and as a zoonosis, immune evasion • Leishmaniasis – a range of symptoms, importance of Th1 and Th2 immune response • Nematodes (round worms) – pinworms (threadworms); Anisakosis, raw seafood, paratenic hosts; filariases, dog heartworm, elephantiasis, river blindness, summer bleeding, mansonelliases • from whitewater to Tyrannosaurus – Giardia and Trichomonas, amitochondriates, biology of diplomonads and parabasalids • Beneficial effects of bacteria, viruses, and parasites – probiotics, caries; beneficial viruses; parasites and endemicity of animals, nagana, brain worm; hygiene hypothesis and atopic diseases, wipworms, hookworms; schistosomes against artherosclerosis; Clostridium and cancer • Diarrheal diseases – food poisoning in humans and animals, keriorrhoea, rotavirus, winter-vomiting disease, E. coli (EPEC, EIEC, ETEC, EHEC), Cholera, Salmonella, Campylobacter, Clostridium perfringens, Clostridium botulinum in humans and animals • Tuberculosis of animals and humans – mycobacteria, Gram staining • HIV and AIDS – epidemiology, origins, pathogenesis • Influenza – Myxoviridae and hemagglutination • SARS and MERS – Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Corona virus, clinical perspective of an infection and difficulty of identifying new pathogens • Ebola infections • Epidemiology – investigating disease patterns; current disease outbreaks • Plaques, epidemics, and biological warfare
A threshold student achieving a mark in the D range should have a basic knowledge of essential facts of parasitology and microbiology presented in the module. The extended essay and research proposal will show, if only limited, evidence of background study. The extended essay and research proposal will attempt to present an answer to a question (assessment brief) with only some irrelevant material and weaknesses in structure, trying to present relevant and coherent arguments. It will not contain a large number of factual errors.
A good student achieving a mark in the B range should have a thorough factual knowledge across major aspects of parasitology and microbiology. The extended essay and research proposal will show evidence of background study. The extended essay and research proposal will be well structured and focused and contain coherently presented arguments, and be mostly free of factual and/or computational errors. It will include some elements of original interpretation and describe well known links between topics It will analyze and/or explain problems using existing methods or approaches. The extended essay and research proposal will be presented to high standards.
A very good student achieving a mark in the A range should have a detailed and conceptual knowledge of of parasitology and microbiology. This is evidenced by extensive background study. The extended essay and research proposal will be well structured and highly focused, and will contain logically presented and defended arguments. It will be free of factual and/or computational errors. The extended essay and research proposal will include significant elements of original interpretation and demonstrate an ability to identify, develop and present new links between topics. It will include new approaches to analyzing and/or explaining a problem and be presented to very high standards.
Demonstrate a conceptual understanding of the interaction between parasites, host and their environment. (Biosciences benchmarks: 3.2 subject knowledge & 3.5 intellectual skills)
Develop an effective approach to exam revision by exploring the research interface. (Biosciences benchmark: 3.9 Self-management and professional development skills)
Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of different parasites and pathogens and the diseases they cause. (Biosciences benchmarks: 3.2 subject knowledge & 3.5 intellectual skills)
Demonstrate a conceptual understanding of what unifies parasites and pathogens in pathogenesis cycles and evolution, and why parasites and pathogens cause disease or kill their host. (Biosciences benchmarks: 3.2 subject knowledge & 3.5 intellectual skills)
|Extended Essay - outline||0.00|
|Extended Essay -Final||45.00|
|Experimental Proposal - Final||25.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||
• Practicals - 9 hours (3 practicals of 3 hours)
• Feedback session
• Lectures - 29 hours
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Develop and identify research question(s) and/or hypotheses as the basis for investigation.
- Conduct fieldwork and/or laboratory work competently with awareness of appropriate risk assessment and ethical considerations
- Recognize and apply appropriate theories and concepts from a range of disciplines.
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Apply subject knowledge to the understanding and addressing of problems.
- Collect, analyse and interpret primary and/or secondary data using appropriate qualitative and/or quantitative techniques.
- Engagement with current developments in the biosciences and their application.
- Appreciation of the complexity and diversity of life processes through the study of organisms.
- Undertake field and/or laboratory studies of living systems.
- Undertake practical work to ensure competence in basic experimental skills.
- Demonstrate awareness of the importance of risk assessment and relevant legislation
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
New textbooks have been announced for the end of the year, when a final decision will be made.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- C100: BSC Biology year 3 (BSC/B)
- C10F: BSc Biology year 3 (BSC/BF)
- C511: BSc Biology with Biotechnology year 3 (BSC/BIOT)
- C512: BSc Biology with Biotechnology with International Experience year 4 (BSC/BIOTIE)
- C102: BSc Biology (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/BITE)
- CC13: BSC Marine Biology/Zoology year 3 (BSC/BMZ)
- 8B76: BSc Marine Biology and Zoology (with International Exp) year 4 (BSC/BMZIE)
- CC1P: BSc Marine Biology with Zoology with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/BMZP)
- C300: BSC Zoology year 3 (BSC/Z)
- C305: BSc Zoology with Animal Behaviour (with International Exp) year 4 (BSC/ZABIE)
- C335: BSc Zoology with Animal Management year 3 (BSC/ZAM)
- C38P: BSc Zoology with Animal Management with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/ZAMP)
- C3L2: BSC Zoology with Conservation year 3 (BSC/ZC)
- C3L3: BSc Zoology with Conservation with International Experience year 4 (BSC/ZCIE)
- C3L4: BSc Zoology with Conservation with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/ZCP)
- C30F: BSc Zoology year 3 (BSC/ZF)
- C304: BSC Zoology with Herpetology year 3 (BSC/ZH)
- C307: BSc Zoology with Herpetology (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/ZHIE)
- C324: BSc Zoology with International Experience year 4 (BSC/ZIE)
- C3C1: BSc Zoology with Marine Zoology (with International Exp) year 4 (BSC/ZMB)
- C350: BSC Zoology with Marine Zoology year 3 (BSC/ZMZ)
- C36P: BSc Zoology with Marine Zoology with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/ZMZP)
- C329: BSc Zoology with Primatology year 3 (BSC/ZP)
- C32P: Zoology with Primatology with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/ZPP)
- C330: BSc Zoology with Ornithology year 3 (BSC/ZR)
- C3P0: BSc Zoology with Ornithology with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/ZRP)
- C3D3: BSC Zoology with Animal Behaviour year 3 (BSC/ZWAB)
- C3DP: BSc Zoology with Animal Behaviour with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/ZWABP)
- C101: MBiol Master of Biology year 3 (MBIOL/BIO)
- C510: MBiol Biology with Biotechnology year 3 (MBIOL/BIOT)
- C169: MSci Marine Biology and Zoology year 3 (MSCI/MBZ)
- C173: MSci Marine Biology & Zoology with International Experience year 4 (MSCI/MBZIE)
- C1CP: MSci Marine Biology and Zoology with Placement Year year 4 (MSCI/MBZP)
- C302: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour year 3 (MZOOL/AB)
- C30P: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour with Placement Year year 4 (MZOOL/ABP)
- CD34: MZool Zoology with Conservation year 3 (MZOOL/CONS)
- CD3P: MZool Zoology with Conservation with Placement Year year 4 (MZOOL/CONSP)
- C303: MZool Zoology with Herpetology year 3 (MZOOL/HERP)
- C325: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour with International Exp year 4 (MZOOL/ZAIE)
- C336: MZool Zoology with Animal Management year 3 (MZOOL/ZAM)
- C39P: MZool Zoology with Animal Management with Placement Year year 4 (MZOOL/ZAMP)
- CD35: MZool Zoology with Conservation w International Experience year 4 (MZOOL/ZCIE)
- C326: MZool Zoology with Herpetology with International Experience year 4 (MZOOL/ZHIE)
- C353: MZool Zoology with Marine Zoology year 3 (MZOOL/ZMZ)
- C354: MZool Zoology with Marine Zoology with International Exp. year 4 (MZOOL/ZMZI)
- C37P: MZool Zoology with Marine Zoology with Placement Year year 4 (MZOOL/ZMZP)
- C306: MZool Zoology (with International Experience) year 4 (MZOOL/ZOIE)
- C301: MZool Master of Zoology year 3 (MZOOL/ZOO)
- C333: MZool Zoology with Primatology year 3 (MZOOL/ZP)
- C33P: MZool Zoology with Primatology with Placement Year year 4 (MZOOL/ZPP)
- C334: MZool Zoology with Ornithology year 3 (MZOOL/ZR)
- C3P4: MZool Zoology with Ornithology with Placement Year year 4 (MZOOL/ZRP)