Nano-Electronics and High-Speed Design
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Paul Sayers
This module aims to provide an introductory background to the subjects of nanotechnology and microsystems technology (NMT). The module will provide an overview of the development of the subjects and introduce topics of microfabrication and scanning probe techniques. The module will also discuss the advantages and disadvantages of nanotechnology and microsystems technology in a range of application area. Current and future business prospects and markets will be discussed along with current exploitation routes and the requirement for economic manufacturing routes.
• Define NMT and stress its important. Trends in microelectronics, IT and telecommunications. Moores Law outstripped, NMT roadmap • Technical descriptions of the STM and SFM, accompanied by hands-on sessions in the Surface Analysis Laboratory • Application areas. Optics, Chemistry, Robotics, Sensors, Biotech, Biochem, Medicine, IT, Mechanical Eng, Environment, aerospace, automotive. • The ‘Scale of Things’; Microfluidic systems characterized by Dimensionless Parameters • Practical problems of NMT and MNT – Heat generation and dispersal. Making contact to the real world.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Equivalent to 50%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Understand and explain the background, development and application of NMT and their evolution from current high-tech businesses.
Understand the practical problems of NMT and MNT
Understand and explain the technical and operating principles of the scanning tunneling microscope (STM) and scanning force microscope (SFM).
Understand and explain the units of measure in nano- and micro-systems.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Traditional lecture (2 hrs x 12 weeks)
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Identify emerging technologies and technology trends;
- Apply underpinning concepts and ideas of engineering;
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the specialist cognate area of electronic engineering in an international context;
- Communicate proposals persuasively and respond positively to feedback;
- Demonstrate an awareness of current advances and contemporary approaches in the discipline and have strategies for keeping that awareness current;
- Have an appreciation of moral, ethical, financial and environmental issues that may need to be considered when practicing as an engineer.¬†
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- H601: MEng Electronic Engineering (4 yrs) year 4 (MENG/EE)
- H618: MEng Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 5 (MENG/EEIE)
- H60P: MEng Electronic Engineering with Industrial Placement year 5 (MENG/EEP)
- G5AR: MSc Broadband and Optical Communication year 1 (MSC/BROPCOMM)
- H6AJ: MSc Electronic Engineering year 1 (MSC/ELENG)
- H6AF: MSc Nanotechnology and Microfabrication year 1 (MSC/NANOTECH)