Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
This module introduces research methods and statistics that are used within psychological and sport and exercise sciences. These research skills are essential to develop for future modules on your degree e.g. research project/dissertation.
The module will cover topics including research design, ethics, descriptive and inferential statistics, presentation of findings, and report writing.
The module will involve discussions about a range of issues in research design and statistics along with the opportunity to collect and manipulate data. Some of the activities will include designing research, undertaking data collection and analyses, using computer software to describe and analyze data, and learning how to communicate the results of research in written reports.
An excellent answer to the task brief with evidence of additional reading, and original interpretation. Comprehensive understanding of research design and statistics covered in the module. Accurate statistical analysis and interpretation. Clear, accurate and excellent communication, presentation and formatting.
An adequate answer to the task brief, largely based on lecture material. Basic understanding of research design and statistics covered in the module. Some errors in statistical analysis and interpretation. Some errors and weaknesses in terms of communication, presentation and formatting.
A good answer to the task brief with evidence of additional reading, and original interpretation. Good understanding of research design and statistics covered in the module. Mostly accurate statistical analysis and interpretation. Clear communication, with few errors in presentation and formatting.
Demonstrate the ability to design and answer basic research questions.
Demonstrate a basic understanding of statistics used in psychological and sport and exercise sciences.
Produce a concise scientific written research report using appropriate statistics and figures or tables to communicate data.
Demonstrate the ability to productively work as part of a team by contributing, in the role of a research participant, to the research conducted within the School
Demonstrate the ability to interpret a variety of different statistical outputs produced by SPSS.
Demonstrate a basic understanding of research and study design used in psychological and sport and exercise sciences.
Become proficient in using the statistical package SPSS: correctly inputting data, running the appropriate statistical analysis, and interpreting the output
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Students will receive lectures that broadly explain research design and statistics. These lectures will also help students prepare for exam and coursework assessments, including the opportunity to receive feedback from peers and ask questions to staff.
Students will have workshops to further develop practical research statistics.
Students are expected to devote 160 hours of guided independent study. Independent study includes individual research and reading time, peer discussion, and assessment preparation.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- research and assess paradigms, theories, principles, concepts and factual information, and apply such skills in explaining and solving problems
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- take and demonstrate responsibility for their own learning and continuing personal and professional development
- demonstrate evidence of competence in the scientific methods of enquiry, and interpretation and analysis of relevant data and statistical outputs.
- develop transferable skills of relevance to careers outside of sport, health and exercise sciences.
- communicate succinctly at a level appropriate to different audiences.
Be computer literate for the purpose of processing and disseminating data and information
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/jxh-1050.html
The following textbooks are useful for this module, some of which are available in our library and free to read online:
Vincent, W.J. & Weir J. (2012) Statistics in Kinesiology (4th Edition), Human Kinetics. ISBN 978-1450402545.
Field, A. (2017) Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS Statistics (5th Edition). Sage. ISBN 978-1526445766.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C611: BSc Adventure Sport Science year 1 (BSC/ASS)
- C61P: BSc Adventure Sport Science with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/ASSP)
- C616: BSc Sport and Exercise Science year 1 (BSC/SES)
- C61F: BSc Sport & Exercise Science with Foundation Year year 1 (BSC/SESF)
- C63P: BSc Sport and Exercise Science with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/SESP)
- C617: BSc Sport Science, PE & Coaching year 1 (BSC/SSCPE)
- C64P: BSc Sport Science, PE and Coaching with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/SSCPEP)
- C618: BSc Sport Sci: Strength & Conditioning year 1 (BSC/SSSC)
- C65P: BSc Sport Science: Strength & Conditioning with Placement Yr year 1 (BSC/SSSCP)
- C621: MSci Sport & Exercise Science year 1 (MSCI/SES)