Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
60.000 Credyd neu 30.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Vicky Gottwald
This module has been developed to help you carry out your own dissertation in an area of your choosing. This choice may be based on future career aspirations, previous experience and expertise, or equally, just because you are passionate about a particular research question. However, your dissertation should be driven by a goal to contribute in a meaningful way to the current knowledge base within a specific area of interest to you.
This module provides the opportunity to work closely with, and be supported by, an expert member of staff on a one-to-one or small group basis to help carry out your dissertation ideas. This module will enable you to put into practice many of the competencies gained throughout your Masters across a range of disciplines e.g. subject specific expertise, as well as more transferable skills such as critical thinking or being able to disseminate findings effectively to academics and/or practitioners. Completion of your dissertation should provide you with an in-depth understanding of the current evidence-base within an area of your choosing, pertinent to the field of sports science.
• Insufficient to fulfil the associated learning outcomes • Deficiencies in Knowledge even of key areas/principles • No evidence of understanding, even of main areas • No evidence of background study • Answer relies on tangential material and lacks a coherent structure • No arguments presented • Many factual/computational errors • No original interpretation • No links between topics are described • No attempt to solve problems • The presentation is very weak containing many inaccuracies
• Knowledge of key areas/principles • Understands main areas • Limited evidence of background study • Answer focussed on question but also with some irrelevant material and weaknesses in structure • Arguments presented but lack coherence • Has several factual/computational errors • No original interpretation • Only major links between topics are described • Limited problem solving • Some weaknesses in presentation and accuracy
• Comprehensive knowledge • Detailed understanding • Extensive background study • Highly focused answer and well structured • Logically presented and defended arguments • No factual/computational errors • Original interpretation • New links between topics are developed • New approach to a problem • Excellent presentation with very accurate communication
Be able to critique a chosen research area, identifying key take-home messages and gaps in the literature.
Implement an appropriate methodological approach in line with your dissertation aim / question e.g. a discursive approach, meta-analysis or systematic review.
Effectively synthesise and disseminate dissertation findings in a succinct manner via a written report.
Demonstrate the ability to communicate your Dissertation effectively to a lay audience in a clear, engaging and concise manner, focusing on key application and implications.
Students will be required to complete a poster communicating their dissertation findings and practical implications. This should be targeted towards a lay audience (typically practitioners).
Students will be required to complete a written dissertation, providing a detailed overview of relevant literature and theory, dissertation aims, methodological approach, findings and implications.
|CYFLWYNIAD UNIGOL||Pre-recorded Presentation||
Students will be required to complete a pre-recorded presentation summarising their Dissertation and findings.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Supervisor meetings organised by the student. This will be via online methods of communication e.g. emails, Skype meetings and telephone calls where required.
This module requires an extensive amount of independent study, which students will be supported to complete. This will be in the form of individual reading, critical thinking, academic writing practice and assignment specific preparation and development.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- research and assess paradigms, theories, principles, concepts and factual information, and apply such skills in explaining and solving problems
- critically assess and evaluate data and evidence in the context of research methodologies and data sources
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- plan, design, execute and communicate a sustained piece of independent intellectual work, which provides evidence of critical engagement with, and interpretation of, appropriate data
- apply knowledge to the solution of familiar and unfamiliar problems
- develop a sustained reasoned argument, perhaps challenging previously held assumptions
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- take and demonstrate responsibility for their own learning and continuing personal and professional development
- self-appraise and reflect on practice
- demonstrate an understanding of the philosophical basis of scientific paradigms
- demonstrate evidence of competence in the scientific methods of enquiry, and interpretation and analysis of relevant data and statistical outputs.
- develop transferable skills of relevance to careers outside of sport, health and exercise sciences.
- communicate succinctly at a level appropriate to different audiences.
- develop knowledge of psychometric instruments
- accurately interpret case study data
- develop effective learning aids
- demonstrate effective robust data collection methods
This module does not require a specific reading list as this is dependent on the chosen topic area. The student will be supported via the supervisor to develop an appropriate reading list based on their dissertation topic.