French Lang. Skills (3 Major)
Rhedir gan School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Armelle Blin-Rolland
- To consolidate and expand on students' knowledge of French grammar and vocabulary.
- To develop translation skills into and out of the target language, and skills in manipulation of written French.
- To develop oral and aural skills.
- To familiarise students with lexis relevant to their forthcoming residence abroad, and other sociocultural contexts.
Students on this module will be working towards achieving B2/C1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR
Building on the foundations of the first year language course, classes on written language skills, listening comprehension and translation into English, and oral communication skills will further develop proficiency and fluency in French. Written language skills include grammar review, paraphrasing, translation into French and essay-writing, and will focus on journalistic, literary and professional language. Listening comprehension classes will draw from modern, authentic material including recent French TV reports, and involve comprehension and paraphrasing exercises. The language materials used will concern the following topics: media and employability. Oral skills will develop fluency across different registers of spoken French. All classes seek to develop the skills students will need for their third year in a French-speaking country.
40-49%: A limited knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and a limited ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts. Basic oral and aural competence.
50-69%: A good knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and a good ability to translate and manipulate a variety of textual material. Good oral and aural competence.
70+%: An excellent knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and an excellent ability to translate and otherwise manipulate texts, with a firm understanding of register. Excellent oral and aural competence.
Students will be able to communicate effectively in French across a range of different registers.
Students will develop their ability to use their expanding French vocabulary appropriately and correctly in a range of different contexts.
Students will have engaged with a range of different skills, including translation, stylistic analysis, exposé and essay-writing.
|PRAWF DOSBARTH||Listening comprehension||20.00|
|ARHOLIAD||Exam (1 hour)||
Consists of two short translations: out of TL and into TL.
|PRAWF DOSBARTH||Summary and rewriting test||25.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
1 hour x grammar per week for 11 weeks 1 hour x writing skills per week for 11 weeks 1 hour x conversation skills per week for 11 weeks
Extra tutorial for beginners
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in more substantial written assignments in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- The ability to translate more substantial passages into and out of the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- Engaging with, interpreting and critically evaluating short and longer contemporary texts (short stories, films, novels) in the target language (Benchmark statement 5. 8, and 5.9)
- Enhanced oral communication and presentation skills (including delivery and argument development, discussion and defence) in the target language through individual and/or group discussions. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in oral assignments, showing ease with a wider range of topics and registers in formal and informal situations. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- Further develop aural comprehension skills in the target language, supported by a wide range of appropriate materials in different media. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to read, understand and summarise more complex written texts in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to critically understand cultural studies concepts on cultural hybridity and their application to core Italian postcolonial texts. (Benchmark statements 5.7, 5.10).
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Rhagofynnol ar gyfer:
Cydofynnol ar gyfer:
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- R916: BA French, German & Italian year 2 (BA/FGI4#)
- R920: French, German and Italian with International Experience year 2 (BA/FGI4IE)
- R912: BA French, German & Spanish year 2 (BA/FGS4#)
- R91F: BA French, German & Spanish [with Foundation Year] year 2 (BA/FGS4#F)
- R918: BA French & Italian with German year 2 (BA/FIG4)
- R917: BA French, Italian & Spanish year 2 (BA/FIS4#)