Ice and Oceans
Rhedir gan School of Ocean Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Margot Saher
- To understand the different sources and types of ice found in contact with the ocean.
- To provide a descriptive understanding of the physics underlying the accumulation, decay, flow, erosive potential, and sedimentation processes associated with glaciers terminating on land and in the ocean.
- To understand the way in which glaciers and ice sheets register and preserve proxy climate data.
- To understand the role of glaciers, ice sheets and sea ice, and their interactions with the ocean, in the global climate system at the present day, in the past and in the future, including forcing of ocean circulation and controls of sea level.
- To appreciate the distinctive differences between physical systems operating in the Arctic and Southern oceans.
Glaciology: glaciers on the earth's surface; scale and forms. Ice accumulation and ablation; glacier mass balance. Glacier thermal regime. Ice flow/movement. Processes of glacial erosion, sediment entrainment/transport and deposition on land and in the ocean.
Ice sheets as archives of past climate change. Ice core records.
Control of sea-level by glaciers. The glacio-eustatic mechanism, glacio-hydro-isostasy, ice-water gravitational attraction.
High latitude physical oceanography: the generation of deep-cold, bottom water masses (NADW, AABW) and their influence on Northern Atlantic, Southern Ocean and the general circulation of the oceans. The circulation of the Southern, Arctic and North Atlantic oceans.
Terrestrial ice in the ocean: ice shelves, ice tongues, icebergs and their role in deposition and sediment reworking. Tidewater glaciers and fjords. Grounding line fans, glacial debris flows, trough mouth fans, slumps and slides. Glacial geology of the Polar North Atlantic. Icebergs and iceberg scour. Ecology and palaeoecology of glacimarine environments. Criteria used to identify glacimarine environments. Ice-rafted detritus in deep marine sediments.
The module will embed 1. a Field Excursion to Snowdonia (virtually in 2020/2021) to examine glacigenic landforms, 2. desk-top study related to ice-ocean interactions and IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) 2013, and the writing of a popular scientific text about a glaciological topic.
Demonstrating a basic understanding of different forms of ice in, and in contact with, the ocean, glacier physics, flow, processes of erosion and deposition (on land, in lakes and in the ocean), glacial and glacimarine sediments and sedimentation, ice as a climate archive, and the interactions between the cryosphere and other components of the climate system.
Demonstrating a good understanding of different forms of ice in, and in contact with, the ocean, glacier physics, flow, processes of erosion and deposition (on land, in lakes and in the ocean), glacial and glacimarine sediments and sedimentation, ice as a climate archive, and the interactions between the cryosphere and other components of the climate system.
Demonstrating an excellent understanding of different forms of ice in, and in contact with, the ocean, glacier physics, flow, processes of erosion and deposition (on land, in lakes and in the ocean), glacial and glacimarine sediments and sedimentation, ice as a archive, and the interactions between the cryosphere and other components of the climate system.
Identify the most significant physical and biogeochemical differences characterising cryosphere-hydrosphere interactions in the Arctic and the Southern oceans.
Describe the different forms of ice found in or in contact with oceanic waters
Describe and interpret glacial landforms in the field.
Relate glacier physics to processes of erosion, sediment entrainment, transport and deposition (both on land and in the ocean)
Identify the critical role that glaciers, ice sheets and sea ice play in the global climate system, both as active agents of change and as archives of past change
Solve simple calculations relating to glacier dynamics and the physical oceanography of the high latitudes
|IPCC desktop study||15.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Lectures: 2 x 1 hour lectures per week for 11 weeks (lectures may be pre-recorded and associated with live interactive teaching)
Fieldtrip into Snowdonia to show glacial landscape and have students collect data for interpretation.
The directed study will relate to each of the assessment elements:
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Warm and waterproof clothing for fieldwork in Snowdonia. Robust walking shoes/boots.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/osx-2011.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- F650: BSC Geological Oceanography year 2 (BSC/GEO)
- F62F: BSc Geological Oceanography year 2 (BSC/GEOF)
- 8S54: BSc Geological Oceanography (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/GEOIE)
- F62P: BSc Geological Oceanography with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/GEOP)
- F7F6: BSc Ocean and Geophysics year 2 (BSC/OGP)
- F7F7: BSc Ocean and Geophysics with International Experience year 2 (BSC/OGPIE)
- F7FP: BSc Ocean and Geophysics with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/OGPP)
- F840: BSc Physical Geography and Oceanography year 2 (BSC/PGO)
- F84P: BSc Physical Geography and Oceanography with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/PGOP)
- F652: MSci Geological Oceanography year 2 (MSCI/GO)
- F65P: MSci Geological Oceanography with Placement Year year 2 (MSCI/GOP)
- F734: MSci Physical Oceanography year 2 (MSCI/PO)
- F735: MSci Physical Oceanography with International Experience year 2 (MSCI/POIE)
- F73P: MSci Physical Oceanography with Placement Year year 2 (MSCI/POP)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- F803: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 2 (BSC/GEF)
- F804: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 2 (BSC/GEF4)
- F807: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry with Intl Exp year 2 (BSC/GEFIE)
- F800: BSC Geography year 2 (BSC/GEOG)
- F806: BSc Geography (4 yr with placement) year 2 (BSC/GEOG4)
- F802: BSc Geography (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/GEOGIE)
- CF17: BSC Marine Biology/Oceanography year 2 (BSC/MBO)
- C1F6: BSc Marine Biology & Oceanography (with Int Exp) year 2 (BSC/MBOIE)
- CF1P: BSc Marine Biology and Oceanography with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/MBOP)
- F700: BSC Ocean Science year 2 (BSC/OS)
- F701: BSc Ocean Science with International Experience year 2 (BSC/OSIE)
- F70P: BSc Ocean Sciences with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/OSP)
- F801: MGeog Geography year 2 (MGEOG/G)
- F805: MGeog Geography with International Experience year 2 (MGEOG/GIE)
- F712: MSci Marine Biology and Oceanography year 2 (MSCI/MBO)
- F714: MSci Marine Biology & Oceanography with International Exp. year 2 (MSCI/MBOIE)
- F71P: MSci Marine Biology and Oceanography with Placement Year year 2 (MSCI/MBOP)