Research Methods 3
Rhedir gan School of Psychology
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Nia Griffith
This module builds upon the techniques for approaching research design and data analysis that you learned in Year 1. The module covers understanding data, psychometric properties of questionnaires and psychological measures; reliability and validity; correlation and regression and qualitative methods. The content of this module covers many of the core skills required in line with the BPS guidelines for an accredited degree and is a prerequisite for Research methods and statistics 4. Because this module focuses on advanced statistical techniques, students are expected to possess adequate knowledge of the concepts covered in Year 1 research methods, as well as GCSE maths. This module will advance your skills and confidence when addressing research design and analysis, and is essential in preparing you for your Year 3 Dissertation.
Introduction to module & refresher of basic concepts Questionnaire design –part 1 Questionnaire design –part 2 Correlation and Partial Correlation Regression I Regression II Qualitative I: What is it? Qualitative II: How to collect it? Qualitative III: How to analyse it? Exam revision and guidance on writing your Research Report
• Adequate answer to the question, largely based on lecture material and basic readings • No substantial development of arguments • Well organised and structured
• Reasonably comprehensive coverage • Good understanding of the material with appropriate insights into theoretical issues • Well organised and structured • Clearly written
• Comprehensive and accurate coverage of the area • Depth of insight into theoretical issues • Reasonably strong, well-written arguments • Clarity of argument and expression
Demonstrate the ability to productively work as part of a team by contributing, in the role of research participant, to the research conducted within the School of Psychology.
Develop confidence in oral presentation of psychological material
Apply their knowledge of research methods and statistics by analyzing data sets both by hand and on computer (including choosing appropriate analyses based on study hypotheses), producing graphical representations of data and interpreting results with respect to the hypotheses.
Take a “data-driven” approach to interpreting statistical analyses and research methods by inferring research questions, choosing/conducting analyses and designing graphical representations of data and interpreting findings based on collected data.
Demonstrate the ability to communicate scientific research in both written and oral formats
Participate in ongoing psychological research through the SONA program as well as experiment-related homework assignments.
Relate theoretical understandings of research methodology and design to live experience in participation in live research within the School.
Understand the difference between qualitative and quantitative methods of collecting and analysing data.
Practice collecting, transcribing and analysing qualitative data and generating a qualitative research report.
Demonstrate an understanding of the basis of psychological testing, its applications, and related constructs including reliability, validity and discrimination power.
Use their knowledge of psychological testing concepts to construct and evaluate a psychometric questionnaire. Analyze individual items with respect to their reliability and discrimination power.
Use their knowledge of methodological concepts to evaluate and understand issues related to research design, the logic of hypothesis testing, data collection and interpretation.
1 hour mid-term practical exam
|GWAITH CWRS||Research Report||30.00|
|CYFRANOGIAD DOSBARTH||SONA 2||2.50|
|CYFRANOGIAD DOSBARTH||SONA 1||2.50|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Lab sessions (Maclab)
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Understand the scientific underpinnings of psychology as a discipline.
- Apply multiple perspectives to psychological issues and integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in psychology.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in written form.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in oral form.
- Be computer literate for the purpose of processing and disseminating psychological data and information.
- Retrieve and organise information effectively.
- Handle primary source material critically.
- Engage in effective teamwork for the purpose of collaborating on psychological projects.
- Use effectively personal planning and project management skills.
- Work effectively under pressure (time pressure, limited resources, etc) as independent and pragmatic learners.
- Problem-solve by clarifying questions, considering alternative solutions, making critical judgements, and evaluating outcomes.
- Reason scientifically and demonstrate the relationship between theory and evidence.
- Understand and investigate the role of brain function in all human behaviour and experience.
- Carry out empirical studies by operationalizing research questions, generating hypotheses, collecting data using a variety of methods, analysing data using quantitative and/or qualitative methods, and present and evaluate research findings (under appropriate supervision).
- Comprehend and use psychological data effectively, demonstrating a systematic knowledge of the application and limitations of various research paradigms and techniques.
- Use a range of statistical methods with confidence.
- Employ evidence-based reasoning and examine practical, theoretical and ethical issues associated with the use of different methodologies, paradigms and methods of analysis in psychology.
- Use a variety of psychological tools, including specialist software, laboratory equipment and psychometric instruments.
- Be aware of ethical principles and approval procedures.
Dancey & Reidy (6th Edition) Statistics without maths for psychology Field (4th Edition) Discovering Statistics Using SPSS
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C8X1: BSc Psychology with Child Language Development (Int Exp) year 2 (BSC/PCIE)
- C880: BSC Psych with Cl & Hlth Psych year 2 (BSC/PHS)
- C88B: BSc Psychology w Clin & Health Psy (4yr with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/PHS1)
- C804: BSc Psychology (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/PIE)
- C800: BSC Psychology year 2 (BSC/PS)
- C81B: BSc Psychology (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/PS1)
- C8X9: BSC Psychology w.Chld Lng. Dvlpmnt year 2 (BSC/PSCLD)
- C801: BSC Psychol w Neuropsychol year 2 (BSC/PSYN)
- 2R87: BSc Psychology with Business year 2 (BSC/PWB)
- C82B: BSc Psychology with Business (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BSC/PWB1)
- 2R88: BSc Psychology with Business with International Experience year 2 (BSC/PWBIE)
- C680: BSc Sport and Exercise Psychology year 2 (BSC/SEXP)
- C808: MSci Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology year 2 (MSCI/PHS)
- C807: MSci Psychology year 2 (MSCI/PS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- 8X44: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology (Int Exp) year 2 (BSC/PHSIE)
- C83B: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology (4yr with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/PSYN1)
- C809: BSc Psychology with Neuropsy (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/PSYNIE)