Interactive Sound and Music
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Andrew Lewis
This module focuses on working creatively with sound and music in the context of interactive technologies. It covered a wide range of interactions with sound, including basic sound design, sound in interactive games environments, music for live musicians with electronics, performance and control interfaces, sound installations and generative (automatic) music. It offers a blend of creative, practical, artistic and technological studies, across a range of disciplines, and provides a platform for more specialised study in the future.
The module involves practical experience in a range of interactive sound applications. Students will be encouraged to think creatively about the possibilities of interactivity in sound and music, and to work on producing their own examples. A variety of technological tools will be used, including Max, Jitter, Processing and Unity, as well as more basic sound editing and processing tools. No prior experience of these is required, but those with experience will be able build on what they already know.
Course content may include: sound design principles and tools; live processing of musical performance; performance and control interfaces; sound and image interaction; sound and music interaction in Games; sound installations; generative (automatic) music.
- Good knowledge and understanding of key principles
- Good knowledge and understanding of main topics
- Good facility with technological tools
- Well developed creative thinking and application
- Good ability to link together different topics and technique
- Well developed independent thinking
- Good problem solving skills
- Good quality of presentation with attention to detail
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of key principles
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of main topics
- Excellent facility with technological tools
- Excellent creative thinking and application
- Fluency in linking together different topics and techniques
- Excellent independent thinking
- Excellent problem solving skills
- High quality of presentation with excellent attention to detail
C- i C+
- Basic knowledge and understanding of key principles
- Basic knowledge and understanding of main topics
- Basic facility with technological tools
- Limited creative thinking and application
- Limited to link together different topics and technique
- A basic level of independent thinking
- Basic problem solving skills
- Basic presentation with some lapses of detail
- Some knowledge and understanding of key principles
- Some knowledge and understanding of main topics
- Some facility with technological tools
- Some evidence of creative thinking and application
- Some evidence of linking together different topics and technique
- Some evidence of independent thinking
- Rudimentary problem solving skills
- Very basic presentation with significant lapses of detail
to examine and employ principles underlying sound and music interaction
to operate with the tools of interactive sound and music
to test and evaluate appropriate technologies for specific interactive projects
to demonstrate and appraise effective forms of sound and music interaction
to compare and appraise different forms of sound and music interaction
to construct interactive sound and music experiences
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- The ability to synthesize information from various sources, choosing and applying appropriate concepts and methods (English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to formulate and solve problems, anticipate and accommodate change, and work within contexts of ambiguity, uncertainty and unfamiliarity (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Information technology (IT) skills broadly understood and the ability to access, work with and evaluate electronic resources (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Creative skills – conception, elaboration, adaptation, presentation, collaboration, preservation
- Technological skills – digital capture, digital expression, digital innovation
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
- Enhanced powers of imagination and creativity (4.17)
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Students do not require their own resources, but may find it helpful to access to their own computer with Unity, Max and/or Processing
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/wxk-2300.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- GW49: BSC Creative Technologies year 2 (BSC/CT)