The Child Outdoors
Rhedir gan School of Educational Sciences
20.000 Credydau neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Mr Bryn Tomos
The module explores a range of teaching approaches with children and young people in context of developing their awareness and understanding of the environment and sustainability issues. It explores the philosophy and value of direct educational experiences in the outdoors. The module also investigates the history, philosophy and teaching strategies for education for sustainable development with children and young people
The module will explore: • principles and philosophy of using the outside environment for learning; • aspects which contribute to developing children and young people’s understanding of their environment with emphasis on the importance of direct learning experiences; • health and safety legislation and regulations on learning in the outdoor environment; • evaluate locations for visits, and plan and execute a visit with children investigate current environmental and sustainability issues aims of education for sustainable development in terms of raising awareness and developing children and young people’s attitudes; • developing evaluative and problem solving skills and increasing knowledge and understanding; • analyze and evaluate a range of strategies and approaches in relation to the holistic environmental education of children and young people.
trothwyA satisfactory knowledge and significant understanding of the main issues, and adequate ability to competently discuss, analyze and evaluate and provide examples.
daA good knowledge and significant understanding of the main issues, and good ability to competently discuss, analyze and evaluate and provide relevant examples
ardderchogA comprehensive knowledge and well-developed understanding of the main issues, and excellent ability to discuss, analyze and evaluate with maturity and provide relevant examples with the ability to contextualize knowledge to other situations and contexts.
- 1.demonstrate critical understanding of the importance of developing and delivering safe direct experiences which develop the knowledge and understanding of children and young people of the environment;
- 2. identify and evaluate opportunities which help children and young people to increase their enthusiasm for their environment;
- 3. plan challenging learning experiences to promote children and young people’s understanding of their environment;
- 4. display knowledge and critical understanding of significant matters about the environment and sustainable development, such as global warming, biodiversity loss and pollution.
- 5. demonstrate critical understanding of concepts, skills and attitudes that should be nurtured in children and young people when learning about sustainable development
- 6. analyse and evaluate a range of strategies and techniques to educate children and young people about the environment and sustainable development.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu