Meeting additional learning needs and special educational needs
Rhedir gan School of Educational Sciences
30.000 Credydau neu 15.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Fliss Kyffin
- To acquaint course members with a variety of approaches to providing for pupils with different ALN / SEN, for example; communication difficulties, behavioural and emotional difficulties, attachment disorders, autistic spectrum disorders, physical and sensory impairments.
- To enable course members to evaluate the evidence for different types of pedagogy and provision for pupils with ALN / SEN.
- To enable course members to critically reflect on professional practices and the management of responding to pupils with ALN / SEN
- To enable course members to develop and critically reflect on, evaluate, and analyse research in ALN / SEN
- To reflect on the issues involved in the provision of services and education to pupils with ALN / SEN in Wales and further afield.
This module aims to enable course members to use a range of approaches to teaching learners with a range of ALN / SEN effectively. They will be to be aware of the theories which underlie different approaches and be able to critically evaluate the evidence for a variety of approaches and strategies to assessing and teaching learners with ALN / SEN. They will acquire skills to extend and update their knowledge in this field. They will be aware of the particular issues in providing for learners with ALN /SEN in a bilingual context with particular reference to Wales.
Evidence is clearly presented and critically analysed, and supported with a wide range of references, mainly from peer-reviewed sources. Arguments are very well-developed, and alternative perspectives are critically considered. Illustrations are pertinent and illuminative. Clearly written, in style appropriate for the intended audience. Suitable for publication in a professional journal
See learning outcomes.
Evidence is clearly presented and referenced, and critically analysed. Arguments are well-developed, and alternative perspectives are acknowledged. Illustrations are pertinent and illuminative. Clearly written, with evidence that the intended audience has been taken into account
Be aware of a variety of approaches to providing for pupils with different ALN / SEN, for example; communication difficulties, moderate learning difficulties, attachment disorders, behavioural and emotional difficulties, severe learning difficulties, autistic spectrum disorders, physical and sensory impairments
Be able to evaluate the evidence for different types of pedagogy and provision for pupils with ALN / SEN.
Understand and be able to critically evaluate and discuss inclusive practices in relation to different types of ALN /SEN
Understand the issues involved in the provision of services and education to pupils with ALN / SEN in Wales and further afield, including how policy affects practice.
|TRAETHAWD||Essay plus action plan||
A critical evaluation of literature about meeting the needs of learners with a chosen area of ALN/SEN, following on from the information leaflet (3000 words). Includes an action plan of how the evidence based strategies could be applied practically in an inclusive environment and in line with relevant policy (1000 words equivalent).
|ADDRODDIAD||Easy read information leaflet||
Production of an “easy read” information leaflet for a specific audience (e.g. parents, LSAs, pupils) about a specific condition associated with ALN/ SEND together with reference list of sources.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Discussion of personal practices and the evidence /ideas /theory that underpin them.
Supervision hours available for formative feedback for the assignments.
Preparation for materials for students to share with each other during study weekends and for giving peer feedback.
Study time for reading, preparing assignments and responding to feedback.
Provision of evidence based strategies for teaching learners with ALN/SEN. Provision of current policy that relates to these learners.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Show originality in the application of subject specific knowledge and understanding.
- Adapt and transfer ideas from one educational context to another.
- Identify problems, evaluate solutions and critique research associated with educational practice.
- Acquire and analyse data in an educational context.
- Adopt an ethically sound approach to research with children and vulnerable adults.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Students will require a tablet or laptop with access to the internet during module study. Students will be encouraged to share their experiences with others and to offer supportive peer feedback.
Frederickson, N. and Cline, T. (2015) Special Educational Needs, Inclusion and Diversity. (3rd Edition) Milton Keynes: OU Press
Reading lists relevant to the areas of ALN identified in the co-construction of the module content will be provided.