Applied Behaviour Analysis
Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Ms Helena O Boyle
In this module, we aim to show you how the science of behaviour analysis can provide a unique and valuable contribution to applied psychology. The main focus of the module though will examine behaviour analysis across a wide range of clinical and educational settings. You will be encouraged to start “thinking behaviourally” about a wide area of interventions and in particular how interventions are built on the same basic principles of human behaviour. Students will also be introduced to the idea of a 'science of consequences', and how this way of viewing human behaviour can give us a conceptual framework that has huge scope in helping us explain what we do. The main aim of this module is to give you a taste of the impact and scope of behaviour analysis across a wide area and will be useful to students who will go on to work with people who ‘behave’.
We will cover some of the fundamental conceptual and philosophical aspects of the study of complex human behaviour that have informed all applied uses of the science of behaviour change. Topics will include how the understanding of behavioural principles is essential to understanding all aspects of ‘what we humans do’. Over the last five decades, behaviour analysts have developed therapeutic approaches and interventions to helping people across a wide range of clinical issues that will be discussed on this module: child development and behaviour problems, people with brain injury, people with dementia, the assessment and treatment of challenging and self-injurious behaviour, applied animal husbandry and the care of exotic animals, forensic behaviour analysis, and best practice in treatment for children with learning disabilities and autism.
Comprehensive and accurate coverage of the area clarity of argument and expression. Depth of insight into theoretical issues.• Depth of insight into the applications of behavioural theory in real world applications. • Comprehensive and detailed knowledge of behavior analysis in practice. • Excellent understanding and original interpretation of theoretical issues with no factual errors. • Clear evidence of critical analysis and insightful evaluation of theory and research. • Logically presented and defended arguments presented with coherent synthesis and original interpretation • Answer focused on question, with no irrelevant material and clear structure • Well-structured presentation showing focus and clarity of argument and expression.
• Some basic consideration of the applications of behavioural theory in the real world. • Adequate knowledge of some of the key concepts in behavior analysis only. • Weaknesses in understanding theoretical issues with multiple/major factual errors. • Limited evidence of critical analysis and evaluation of theory and research. • Arguments are presented briefly, but they are weak with no synthesis or original interpretation • Answer only briefly focussed on question and with some irrelevant material and poor structure • Weak presentation with disjointed structure and major APA format errors.
• Some insight into the applications of social behavioural theory in the real world. • Strong knowledge of key concepts in behavior analysis in practice. • Solid understanding of theoretical issues mostly free of factual errors. • Evidence of critical analysis and evaluation of theory and research. • Coherent arguments presented, with some limited synthesis and original interpretation • Answer focused on question, but with very little irrelevant material and clear structure • Well-structured presentation showing focus of argument and expression.
Demonstrate an informed understanding and appreciation of the theoretical foundation and applied procedures developed by behaviour analysts as one of the helping professions.
Demonstrate detailed knowledge of how behaviour analysts employ scientifically-derived principles of learning to improve the quality of life of people and animals.
Demonstrate a broad knowledge of the areas where the science of behaviour change has been applied across clinical, educational, and everyday settings.
Identify, critically appraise, and explain the significance of, published works of relevance to the conceptual, experimental, or applied analysis of behaviour.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Primary method of teaching will be through interactive lectures. Students will also be asked to participate in activities in which they will need to apply the foundation principles of behaviour analysis to the topics discussed in lectures.
Students will be expected to read specific chapters and readings and research relevant to lectures and exam preparation.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Understand the scientific underpinnings of psychology as a discipline.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in written form.
- Be computer literate for the purpose of processing and disseminating psychological data and information.
- Retrieve and organise information effectively.
- Handle primary source material critically.
- Be sensitive and react appropriately to contextual and interpersonal psychological factors.
- Use effectively personal planning and project management skills.
- Work effectively under pressure (time pressure, limited resources, etc) as independent and pragmatic learners.
- Problem-solve by clarifying questions, considering alternative solutions, making critical judgements, and evaluating outcomes.
- Reason scientifically and demonstrate the relationship between theory and evidence.
- Comprehend and use psychological data effectively, demonstrating a systematic knowledge of the application and limitations of various research paradigms and techniques.
- Employ evidence-based reasoning and examine practical, theoretical and ethical issues associated with the use of different methodologies, paradigms and methods of analysis in psychology.
- Be aware of ethical principles and approval procedures.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Recommended books for the module: Snider, S. M. (2012). The science of consequences: how they affect genes, change the brain, and impact our world. Amherst: Prometheus Books. Cooper, J., Heron, T. and Heward, W. (2007). Applied behavior analysis. 2nd ed. Upper Saddle River, Nj: Pearson.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C880: BSC Psych with Cl & Hlth Psych year 3 (BSC/PHS)
- C88B: BSc Psychology w Clin & Health Psy (4yr with Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/PHS1)
- 8X44: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology (Int Exp) year 4 (BSC/PHSIE)
- C88P: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psy with Placement Yr year 4 (BSC/PHSP)
- C808: MSci Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology year 3 (MSCI/PHS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- X320: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Seicoleg year 3 (BA/APIS)
- LC31: BA Criminology & Crim Justice & Psychology (with Int Exp) year 4 (BA/CCJPIE)
- MC98: BA Criminology/Psychology year 3 (BA/CRP)
- X319: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Psychology year 3 (BA/CYP)
- CQ83: BA English Language & Psychology year 3 (BA/ELPSY)
- R181: BA French with Psychology (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/FPIE)
- R1C8: BA French with Psychology year 3 (BA/FPSY)
- R2C8: BA German with Psychology year 3 (BA/GPSY)
- Q1C8: BA Linguistics and Psychology year 3 (BA/LP)
- CL83: BA Sociology/Psychology year 3 (BA/PS)
- CL84: BA Social Policy/Psychology year 3 (BA/SPP)
- CL85: BA Social Policy & Psychology with International Experience year 3 (BA/SPPIE)
- C80B: BSc Psychology (Bangor Uni Intl Coll) year 3 (BSC/BICPS)
- N5C8: BSc Marketing with Psychology year 3 (BSC/MP)
- C804: BSc Psychology (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/PIE)
- C800: BSC Psychology year 3 (BSC/PS)
- C81B: BSc Psychology (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BSC/PS1)
- C80F: BSc Psychology year 3 (BSC/PSF)
- C80P: BSc Psychology with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/PSP)
- C813: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psychology year 3 (BSC/PSYFP)
- C84B: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psych (4 yr with Incorp Foundn) year 3 (BSC/PSYFP1)
- C81P: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psychology with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/PSYFPP)
- C801: BSC Psychol w Neuropsychol year 3 (BSC/PSYN)
- C83B: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology (4yr with Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/PSYN1)
- C809: BSc Psychology with Neuropsy (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/PSYNIE)
- C84P: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/PSYNP)
- C681: BSc Sport & Exercise Psychology w International Experience year 3 (BSC/SEPIE)
- C680: BSc Sport and Exercise Psychology year 3 (BSC/SEXP)
- M1C8: LLB Law with Psychology year 3 (LLB/LPSY)
- C807: MSci Psychology year 3 (MSCI/PS)