Practical Research Skills
Rhedir gan School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences
10 Credyd neu 5 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Sam Oliver
You will develop practical research skills that enable you to answer a research question(s) in a concise scientific report using data collection, analysis and interpretation skills learnt on the course. These research skills are essential to develop for future courses on your degree (e.g. project proposal, research project, dissertation, etc). They are also important to develop for most careers beyond University. Indeed, researchers work across all industries and their analysis and report writing skills are vital for employers.
During the course, you will develop many research skills that includes developing your own research question and hypothesis; designing and completing data collections; performing and interpreting descriptive and inferential statistical analysis using SPSS; presenting statistics and data in tables and figures; and concise report writing.
Important: Module failure that prevents you passing the year will require resit assessment and attendance at Supplementary Assessment Week (exact date TBC but expected to be fourth week of July 2019)
D- to D+ - Pass: Basic knowledge and limited understanding of research principles, design and statistics. Presentation of data is clear but may contain some errors. Statistical analysis is mostly correct. Only a basic interpretation of the statistical analysis is offered (e.g. limited discussion of practical significance). The work is organised but may contain some poor spelling and grammar.
A- to A - Excellent - Deep knowledge and understanding of research design, principles and statistics with excellent capacity to formulate and answer basic research questions. Excellent presentation of results and statistics. Correct statistics procedures performed with almost no statistics interpretation or calculation errors. Evidence of deeper understanding of some of the analyses (e.g. identification of assumptions and limitations, use of 1 or 2-tailed hypotheses, interpretation of the meaningfulness of the statistics). The statistical and practical findings of each analysis will be clear to the reader. The work is well organised and written with almost no typographical or grammar errors.
C- to C+ - Good – A good grasp of research principles, design and statistics demonstrating adequate knowledge and understanding with the capacity to formulate and answer basic research questions. Presentation of the data is clear. Mostly correct statistical procedures performed. Reasonable interpretation of statistical analysis but mostly surface level understanding shown (e.g. only the main finding of each analysis). This work is well organised but may contain a few spelling or grammar errors.
Be able to formulate and answer basic research questions
Be able to interpret the statistical outputs produced by SPSS
Be able to communicate data collected in a scientific report using appropriate statistics and figures or tables
Be able to collect data in a systematic manner
Be able to analyse data with descriptive and inferential statistics (e.g., mean and standard deviation, t-tests, correlation, simple regression, ANOVA) using SPSS for Windows
Multiple choice question exam completed online that tests students knowledge on correlations, regression, t-test, and ANOVA statistical tests.
|GWAITH CWRS||Practical Research Skills Written Assignment||
An individual scientific report from a student-led data collection. Students will use statistical tests to analyse data and answer hypotheses they developed. Exceeding or undershooting the word limit by >10% will result in a reduction of one categorical boundary, e.g. A- to B+
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||2|
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- research and assess paradigms, theories, principles, concepts and factual information, and apply such skills in explaining and solving problems
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- communicate succinctly at a level appropriate to different audiences.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Students are advised to bring laptops to lectures so they can practice using statistical analysis program SPSS. It is advised students try to download this software ahead of starting the course. SPSS is free for students to download from Bangor University IT services. https://www.bangor.ac.uk/itservices/software-students.php.en. Note. SPSS may not work on some tablets.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/jxh-1043.html
• Thomas, J.R., Nelson, J.K. and Silverman S.J. (2011) Research Methods in Physical Activity (6th Edition), Human Kinetics. (ISBN: 0736056203).
• Vincent, W.J. (2005) Statistics in Kinesiology (3rd Edition), Human Kinetics. (ISBN: 0736057927).
• Ntoumanis, N. (2001). A Step-by-Step Guide to SPSS for Sport and Exercise Studies. Routledge.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- CR61: BA Sports Science/French year 1 (BA/SPSFR)
- CR62: BA Sports Science/German year 1 (BA/SPSG)
- CR6K: BA Spanish/Sports Science year 1 (BA/SPSSC)
- C611: BSc Adventure Sport Science year 1 (BSC/ASS)
- CB69: BSC Sport, Health & Exercise Sci. year 1 (BSC/SHES)
- C651: BSC Sport- Health & Physical Educ year 1 (BSC/SHPE)
- C600: BSC Sports Science year 1 (BSC/SPS)
- C6N1: BSc Sport Science & Business Management year 1 (BSC/SSB)
- C604: BSc Sports Science (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/SSIE)
- C602: BSC Sport Science (ODA) year 1 (BSC/SSOA)
- 2W68: BSc Sports Science (Outdoor Activities) (with Int Exp) year 1 (BSC/SSOIE)
- C612: MSci Adventure Sport Science year 1 (MSCI/ASS)
- C608: MSci Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences year 1 (MSCI/SHS)
- C607: MSci Sport Science year 1 (MSCI/SS)
- C609: MSci Sport Science (Outdoor Activities) year 1 (MSCI/SSOA)