Web-based Literature Review
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Lorrie Murphy
This module aims to provide experience in preparing a scientific literature review in a web-based format. Topics will be provided by academic staff in the department within their specialized research areas. The students will learn how to create a literature review websites using WordPress.
This module requires preparation of a literature review on a specified research topic not related to their third year or fourth year research projects, and presentation of this review in a web based format using WordPress.
Course Team: Dr Lorrie Murphy
RESOURCE IMPLICATIONS ESSENTIAL READING 1. Study and communication skills for the chemical sciences - Overton, Tina c2011 RECOMMENDED READING - None SPECIFIC RESOURCE IMPLICATIONS FOR STUDENTS It is expected that students will purchase or have ready access to the essential text book above
a) Knowledge and understanding of course content is basic b) Transferable skills are at a basic level.
For students entering year 2 (level 5) after September 1st 2013, the threshold criteria are set as follows:
Knowledge base covers all essential aspects of subject matter dealt with in the assignment; conceptual understanding is acceptable.
Performance in transferable skills is sound.
a) Knowledge and understanding of course content is good b) Performance in transferable skills is sound and shows no significant deficiencies.
For students entering year 2 (level 5) after September 1st 2013, the threshold criteria are set as follows: Knowledge base covers all essential aspects of subject matter dealt with in the assignment and shows good evidence of enquiry beyond this. Conceptual understanding is good. Performance in transferrable skills is good.
a) Knowledge and understanding of course content is outstanding. b) Performance in transferable skills is generally very good.
For students entering year 2 (level 5) after September 1st 2013, the threshold criteria are set as follows: Knowledge base is extensive and extends well beyond the work covered in the assignment; conceptual understanding is outstanding. Performance in transferable skills is generally very good.
On completion of the module, students should be able to create a scientific website using wordpress.
On completion of the module, students should be able to demonstrate: an ability to search the literature for material relevant to a specified topic in chemistry and assess the relevance of such literature in presenting an overall synopsis of the area.
Students should be able to demonstrate: an ability to summarise journal articles in a coherent and structured fashion and reference them appropriately, using hyperlinks where appropriate. This should be to a standard seen in, and in the style of, peer-reviewed review articles currently published in appropriate journals.
On completion of the module, students should be able to demonstrate: an ability to manipulate graphical objects in a fashion suitable for web-publication.
|GWAITH CWRS||Web based literature review||100.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
This module will have four weekly two-hour hands-on sessions provided, allowing introductory web-page assembly and design to be covered using WordPress. Contact time:- 8 hours, private study - 92 hours (learning outcomes 1 - 4).
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- CC6 Skills in communicating scientific material and arguments
- CC7 Information technology and data-processing skills, relating to chemical information and data.
- PS1 Communication skills, covering both written and oral communication with a variety of audiences
- PS2 Skills in the employment of common conventions and standards in scientific writing, data presentation, and referencing literature
- PS5 Information location and retrieval skills, in relation to primary and secondary information sources, and the ability to assess the quality of information accessed
- PS7 Basic interpersonal skills, relating to the ability to interact with other people and to engage in teamworking
- PS11 Problem-solving skills including the demonstration of self-direction, initiative and originality
- SK2 Demonstrate a systematic understanding of fundamental physicochemical principles with the ability to apply that knowledge to the solution of theoretical and practical problems
- SK5 Demonstrate an understanding of the qualitative and quantitative aspects of chemical metrology and the importance of traceability
- SK9 Read and engage with scientific literature
- SK13. Making oral presentations and writing reports, including critical evaluation.
- CC1 the ability to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of essential facts,concepts,principles and theories relating to theSubject areasCovered in theirProgramme
- CC2 the ability to applysuch knowledge and understanding to thesolution of qualitative and quantitativeProblems that are mostly of a familiar nature
- PS9 skills needed to undertake appropriate further training of a professional nature
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- F104: MChem Chemistry year 4 (MCHEM/CH)
- F106: MChem Chemistry with International Experience year 5 (MCHEM/CHIE)
- F101: MChem Chemistry with Industrial Experience year 5 (MCHEM/CIND)