Rhedir gan School of Music and Media
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
The aim of this module is to provide the fundamental orchestration techniques required in the film and media industry today. In order to reach this aim, this module will cover basic orchestration techniques employed by Classical, Romantic and 20th Century composers (e.g. Beethoven, Rachmaninov and Prokofiev). These techniques will eventually be applied to the film context – an industry that employs the vast majority of orchestrators today (e.g. Conrad Pope, Tim Davies, Ladd Macintosh, Ceiri Torjussen, etc.). The module will gradually introduce each section of the orchestra starting with the strings, woodwinds, brass and percussion sections along with the full symphonic orchestra. This module will also cover the use of technology in today's industry including transferring MIDI data provided by composers from the DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) to Sibelius (notation software). Fundamentals of score and part preparation, copying and binding will also be covered. On completion of the module, the student will be equipped with the necessary skills to orchestrate music to a specific film cue.
Sem 1. Introduction. STRINGS A. STRINGS B WOODWINDS A WOODWINDS B BRASS A BRASS B PERCUSSION FULL ORCHESTRA A FULL ORCHESTRA B Class Presentations.
Sem 2. Introduction to film orchestration. MIDI – tidying up in Logic. MIDI – to Sibelius from Logic. MIDI – tidying up in Sibelius. MIDI – orchestrating in Sibelius. Preparing a score for a typical recording session Part 1. Preparing a score for a typical recording session Part 2. Film orchestration techniques A. Film orchestration techniques B. Class Presentations.
Work which shows a more detailed knowledge of scoring for orchestra, not only making use of the appropriate bowings, correct divisions of string instruments and splittings of woodwind and brass, but shows some imagination and artistic creativity in the use of the instruments.
Work which shows an elementary understanding of scoring for orchestra, making use of correct and appropriate string bowings, correct divisions of string instruments and splittings of woodwind and brass, and a practical knowledge of transposing the appropriate woodwind and brass instruments.
Work which shows detailed knowledge of scoring for orchestra, making full use of technical terms and symbols, and shows originality in the use of blendings of instrumental timbre.
Studied and learnt the fundamentals of orchestrating idiomatically for orchestral instruments.
Developed skills for reviewing, scrutinising and discussing orchestration techniques.
Exhibited sufficient level of creativity, resourcefulness and imagination whilst orchestrating for full orchestra (for both traditional and film / media projects).
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
11 lectures of 2 hours.
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Musicianship skills – recognition, classification, contextualisation, reconstruction, exploration
- Intellectual skills specific to Music – contextual knowledge, cultural awareness, critical understanding, repertoire knowledge, curiosity, analytical demonstration
- Technological skills – digital capture, digital expression, digital innovation
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
- Enhanced powers of imagination and creativity (4.17)
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 2 (BA/ACC)
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CHCS)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/CST1)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 2 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 2 (BA/CSTMUS)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTSP)
- 32N6: BA English Literature and Music year 2 (BA/ELM)
- VW23: BA Hanes Cymru a Cherddoriaeth year 2 (BA/HCAC)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 2 (BA/HMU)
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 2 (BA/MEE)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 2 (BA/MHIE)
- W303: BA Music (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/MIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 2 (BA/MSMUS)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 2 (BA/MUFR)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 2 (BA/MUGE)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 2 (BA/MUIT)
- W300: BA Music year 2 (BA/MUS)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/MUSCW)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 2 (BA/MUSFS)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 2 (BA/MUSP)
- VVW3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Music year 2 (BA/PRM)
- QW53: BA Cymraeg/Music year 2 (BA/WMU)
- W304: BMus Music (with International Experience) year 2 (BMUS/MIE)
- W302: BMUS Music year 2 (BMUS/MUS)
- H6W3: BSc Electronic Engineering and Music year 2 (BSC/EEM)