Electrical & Electronic Princi
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Daniel Roberts
To introduce the main techniques of circuit analysis and demonstrate that this is a key framework of electronic engineering and to give a basic appreciation of the fundamental physics which determine the electronic properties of materials used in the electronics industry.
Indicative content includes:
• Introduction to Passive and Active Circuits; Resistance & Conductance; Ohm's Law; Voltage and Current Sources (Ideal and Practical); Independent and Dependent Sources; Passive sign convention; Kirchhoff's Laws; Voltage and Current Dividers. Introduction to A.C. Circuits: Sinusoidal Waveforms; Concept of Phasors and Phase Angle.
• Voltage and Current in A.C. Resistive Circuits, Power Waveform, RMS values; Voltage and Current in Inductive Circuits, Inductive Reactance; Introduction to j-Notation; Voltage and Current in Capacitive Circuits, Capacitive Reactance; Concepts of Impedance and Admittance; Analysis of Series and Parallel Resistive and Reactive Circuits. Power in A.C. Circuits.
• Resonant frequency, Q-factor and bandwidth for series and parallel resonant circuits.
• Use of Loop/Mesh Current Method, Node-Voltage Method and Superposition to analyse electric circuits. Use of Thévenin's and Norton's Theorems to obtain equivalent circuits.
• Electron energies, energy levels and electron energy bands.
• Drift velocity, mobility and conductivity. Energy bands and electrical conductivity in metals and intrinsic silicon. Impurity semiconductors. Temperature dependence of conductivity.
Equivalent to 40%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Apply formal analysis techniques to electric circuits.
Explain the theoretical physics that underpin the electronic properties of materials.
Identify and describe simple DC circuits and theory.
Analyse simple AC circuits that contain capacitors, inductors and resistors (C, L, R) and identify resonant circuits.
|LLYFR LOG NEU BORTFFOLIO||Laboratory Exercises and Write Up||50.00|
|PRAWF DOSBARTH||Mid-Term Test||10.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Practical laboratories (3hrs x 12 weeks)
Tutor-directed private study, including preparation and revision.
8 hours worth of tutorials.
Traditional lecture (3hrs x 12 weeks)
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Identify emerging technologies and technology trends;
- Apply underpinning concepts and ideas of engineering;
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the specialist cognate area of electronic engineering in an international context;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions, especially ones that include embedded microprocessors
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions.
- Appreciate the importance of designing products with due regard to good laboratory practice, health and safety considerations and ethical issues.
- Access and synthesize information and literature sources;
- Use both verbal and written communication skills to different target audiences;
- Analyse and display data using appropriate methods and mathematical techniques;
- Demonstrate familiarity with relevant subject specific and general computer software packages.
- Demonstrate an awareness of the need to work safely and comply within relevant legislative and regulatory frameworks;
- Knowledge and understanding of facts, concepts, principles & theories
- Knowledge and understanding of mathematical principles
- Knowledge and/or understanding of appropriate scientific and engineering principles
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/ice-1301.html
Electrical Circuit Theory And Technology - John Bird;
Electronics Fundamentals: Circuits, Devices and Applications - Thomas L. Floyd;
Introduction to Electric Circuits (Essential Electronics) - Ray Powell;
Electric Circuits - James W. Nilsson & Susan Riedel;
Electronics: Circuits and Systems - Owen Bishop.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 1 (BA/MEE)
- H612: BEng Computer Systs Eng (3 yrs) year 1 (BENG/CSE)
- H61B: BEng Computer Sys Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 1 (BENG/CSE1)
- H610: BENG Electronic Engineering (3 yrs) year 1 (BENG/ELE)
- H62B: BEng Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 1 (BENG/ELE1)
- H61F: BEng Electronic Engineering year 1 (BENG/ELEF)
- H621: BEng Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 1 (BENG/ELEIE)
- H6W3: BSc Electronic Engineering and Music year 1 (BSC/EEM)
- H611: BSc Electronic Engineering year 1 (BSC/ELE)
- H63B: BSc Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 1 (BSC/ELE1)
- H661: MEng Control and Instrumentation Engineering year 1 (MENG/CIE)
- H617: MEng Computer Systs Eng (4 yrs) year 1 (MENG/CSE)
- H619: MEng Computer Systems Engineering (with International Exper) year 1 (MENG/CSEIE)
- H601: MEng Electronic Engineering (4 yrs) year 1 (MENG/EE)