Enterprise Design & Modelling
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Zengbo Wang
Practical modelling and design is taught using the multiphysics modelling package “Comsol Multiphysics”. Guided projects are undertaken to model and analyse physical systems. Students are required to research their chosen system and identify significant design parameters. Simulation and analysis will be aimed at identifying an optimal configuration for the chosen system
• Finite Element Method. General introduction. Elements in 1D, 2D and 3D. Element considerations. Example electric field calculation
• Theory. Flow equations (Mass/momentum conservation, Navier Stokes), Thermal equations (Thermal field, Heat transfer), Electomagnetic equations (Electrostatic, conduction, magnetic field), Mechanical stress/strain.
• Problem generation. Geometry generation, Boundary conditions, Meshing and mesh design considerations. Solution methods.
• Post processing. Field presentation, data extraction. Limitations and errors • Methodology. Descretisation, parametric processes, multiphysics modelling, modular design
• Introduction to Comsol Multiphysics Geometry creation and meshing. Model specification. Boundary and material specification. Solution processing. Simulation management. Post processing
• Literature survey of chosen topic. Inspection and problem identification. • Analysis of chosen problem and identification of controlling parameters. Optimisation of design to meet given specification
Equivalent to 50%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Present, using appropriate media, design and simulation findings to their peers, assessors and other engineers.
Employ a standard approach to the design and modelling of electronic, optical, and multi-physical systems.
Model physical systems using the Finite Element method and appropriate simulation software.
Optimise parameters and design for given scenarios.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Practical laboratories. (2 hrs x 12 weeks)
Private study including individual assignments.
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Apply underpinning concepts and ideas of engineering;
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the specialist cognate area of electronic engineering in an international context;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions, especially ones that include embedded microprocessors
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions.
- Analyse and display data using appropriate methods and mathematical techniques;
- Demonstrate familiarity with relevant subject specific and general computer software packages.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- H661: MEng Control and Instrumentation Engineering year 4 (MENG/CIE)
- H601: MEng Electronic Engineering (4 yrs) year 4 (MENG/EE)
- H618: MEng Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 5 (MENG/EEIE)
- H60P: MEng Electronic Engineering with Industrial Placement year 5 (MENG/EEP)
- H6AF: MSc Nanotechnology and Microfabrication year 1 (MSC/NANOTECH)