Advances in Conservation
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20.000 Credydau neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Julia Patricia Gordon Jones
The aim of this module is to give you advanced understanding of the current challenges in wildlife conservation, and how conservation science is contributing to efforts to address them.
After the introductory lecture, the module will consist of six topics which we will look at in detail. For each there will be a seminar led by the module organizer, and an associated student-led seminar based on reading which I will assign. Associated with each student-led seminar there is a timetabled study group to make it easier for you to find time to work together as a group to plan the presentations you will give in the student-led seminars.
For assessment, students will submit a brief summary of their learning from each topic (based on the material presented in both the staff-led and the student-led seminar). Students can submit between three and six in total (one and four for students on the 10-credit version) and their best three (one for students on the 10 credit version) marks will count. There will be two opportunities to hand these in. There will be a session part way through the term where students will get feedback on the summaries submitted so they can improve their style. In the second part of the course students will spend most of their time working individually on their in-depth report (2000 word limit for 20 credit students, 1500 words for 10 credit students). There will be tutorials available with the module organiser to help students improve their use of the literature and the structure of their argument.
B- to B+ A good understanding of the issues covered. A clearly written and professionally presented in-depth report which covers a range of appropriate literature in some depth. A good brief overview of seminars produced showing good understanding.
A- to A** An excellent understanding of the issues covered. A very clearly written and professionally presented in-depth report which covers an excellent range of appropriate literature in depth. An excellent overview of seminars produced showing very good understanding, clearly and concisely summarized.
Grade D- to D+ Aware of the key principles underlying the science. Pass level in in-depth report. Basic competence demonstrated in abstracts.
C- i C+
Grade C- to C+ Better understanding of the material. Competent demonstration of the understanding and use of the literature in in-depth report. Abstracts lack clarity and depth.
A deep understanding of a range of current issues in conservation science, policy and practice
An ability to use the academic literature to critically explore a current conservation issue in depth (and reference the literature appropriately).
The ability to write a professional, critical and well-referenced report (in the style of an 'essay' in the journal Conservation Biology) on a current conservation issue of their choice.
The ability to summarise information based on a range of sources to produce a concise, critical and informative written summary.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Students will have reading to do to prepare for each seminar. They will also need to work hard summarising the information provided in each session for the briefs. Finally, they will need to spend significant time working on their individual topic for the in-depth report. This will require a lot of reading and detailed research.
I will hold regular tutorials and drop in sessions for students working on their in-depth reports. They do not need to attend all tutorials but can book in when they have work to discuss.
Lectures will introduce the course and assessments and will introduce each of the seminar topics (giving the broader context).
I will deliver 6 topic-based seminars. Students will then deliver a further hour on each of these topics. I will set reading in advance (see the module handbook).
I will timetable a time and place for students to meet to prepare for the seminars (working on presentations or other exercises). I will be available during the time and drop in from time to time to facilitate discussion if it is helpful.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- PS1 Communication skills, covering both written and oral communication with a variety of audiences
- PS2 Skills in the employment of common conventions and standards in scientific writing, data presentation, and referencing literature
- PS5 Information location and retrieval skills, in relation to primary and secondary information sources, and the ability to assess the quality of information accessed
- PS8 Time management and organisational skills, as evidenced by the ability to plan and implement efficient and effective ways of working
- PS11 Problem-solving skills including the demonstration of self-direction, initiative and originality
- PS6 Information technology skills which support the location, management, processing, analysis and presentation of scientific information
- PS14 Independent learning skills required for continuing professional development
- Recognize the moral, ethical and social issues relating to the subject.
- Develop and identify research question(s) and/or hypotheses as the basis for investigation.
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Collect, analyse and interpret primary and/or secondary data using appropriate qualitative and/or quantitative techniques.
- Engagement with current subject developments and their application.
- Engage in debate and/or discussion with specialists and non-specialists using appropriate language.
- Demonstrate the independence and skills required for continuing professional development
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/dxx-3510.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C328: BSc Wildlife Conservation year 3 (BSC/WLC)
- C332: BSc Wildlife Conservation with Place Yr year 4 (BSC/WLCP)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- C183: BSC Appl.Terrestrial & Marine Ec 4 year 4 (BSC/APTME)
- C185: BSc Applied Terrestrial & Marine Ecology with Intl Exp (5yr) year 4 (BSC/APTMIE)
- C180: BSc Appl. Terrestrial &Marine Ec year 3 (BSC/ATME)
- C184: BSc App Terrestrial & Marine Ecology with Intl Experience year 4 (BSC/ATMEIE)
- C13P: BSc Applied Terrestrial and Marine Ecology with Placement Yr year 4 (BSC/ATMEP)
- D503: BSc Conservation with Forestry with International Experience year 4 (BSC/CFIE)
- 5DKD: BSc Conservation with Forestry year 3 (BSC/CWF)
- 5DLD: BSc Conservation with Forestry (four year) year 4 (BSC/CWF4)
- D447: BSC Environmental Conservation year 3 (BSC/ECON)
- D448: BSC Environmental Conservation year 4 (BSC/ECON4)
- D451: BSc Environmental Conservation (International Experience) year 4 (BSC/ENIE)
- C3L2: BSC Zoology with Conservation year 3 (BSC/ZC)
- C3L3: BSc Zoology with Conservation with International Experience year 4 (BSC/ZCIE)
- C3L4: BSc Zoology with Conservation with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/ZCP)
- CD34: MZool Zoology with Conservation year 3 (MZOOL/CONS)
- CD3P: MZool Zoology with Conservation with Placement Year year 4 (MZOOL/CONSP)
- CD35: MZool Zoology with Conservation w International Experience year 4 (MZOOL/ZCIE)