MA Work Placement
Rhedir gan School of History, Law and Social Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Hefin Gwilym
This module provides the opportunity for work-based learning, by means of placements with a range of agencies suitable for History, Philosophy or Social Sciences students. The aim of the module is to help to prepare students for future work-based contexts.
Students will identify and arrange their own placements. If the student has any difficulties staff will assist in this process. Students are allowed to undertake placements either locally to the university, or term time address. Students will undertake 100 hours at their chosen placement.
*If you are interested in this module, please contact the module convenor prior to choosing it as an option.
Such experiential and career-oriented learning is consistent with the university’s commitment to employability enhancement. The module complies with the University Code of Practice on Placement Learning (https://www.bangor.ac.uk/regulations/codes/code07.php.en).
Sessions may include, but are not limited to: - Work placement (times/days arranged with organisation) - Employability sessions - Assignment support - Drop in
C- to C+ For the reflective report
- shows satisfactory ability to reflect on the work-based learning experience;
- provides a satisfactory commentary on the student’s own experiences of the placement.
- Demonstrates a basic awareness of the literature on employability.
For the presentation on the student’s work with the agency
A satisfactory presentation on the student’s work with the agency
A satisfactory description of the work placement
A satisfactory evaluation of one aspect of the work undertaken during the placement.
Uses little or no research related to the subject.
Satisfactory delivery, but one or two improvements were needed relating to delivery e.g speech patterns, eye contact, presentation slides, more research; preparation for the questions
Satisfactory presentation slides but one or two improvements needed e.g no more than 5 bullet points & text, mixture of text & picture, only Time or Ariel font, design is clear Satisfactory responses in discussion, but much more understanding of the subject area was needed
B- to B+
For the reflective report
- shows a good or very good ability to reflect on the work-based learning experience;
- provides a thorough commentary on the student’s own experiences of the placement.
- Demonstrates good or very good awareness of the literature on employability.
For the presentation on the student’s work with the agency
a good or very good presentation on the student’s work with the agency
a good/very good presentation that discusses the placement in an informed and perceptive way.
Good/very good description of the work placement
Good/very good evaluation of one aspect of the work undertaken during the placement
Uses some research related to the subject.
Overall, a good/very good delivery, but one or two improvements were needed relating to delivery e.g speech patterns, eye contact, presentation slides, more research; preparation for the questions
Good/very good presentation slides but one or two improvements needed e.g no more than 5 bullet points & text, mixture of text & picture, only Time or Ariel font, design is clear Good/very good responses in discussion but more preparation needed
A- to A*
For the reflective report – shows excellent ability to reflect on the work-based learning experience; provides an insightful and skilled commentary on the student’s own experiences of the placement. Demonstrates excellent awareness of the literature on employability. Provides clear recommendations for the employer for further placements
For the presentation on the student’s work with the agency – an excellent presentation that discusses the placement in an informed and perceptive way.
- An excellent description of the work placement
- An excellent outline of any relevant government policies relating to the organisation
- An excellent evaluation of two aspects of the work undertaken during the placement.
- Has an excellent understanding of research related to the subject, specifically the key people.
- Key recommendations for the organisation
- Enthusiastic and engaging delivery;
- Excellent presentation slides that complement the oral presentation e.g no more than 5 bullet points & text, a mixture of text & picture, only Time or Ariel font, design is clear Perceptive and interesting responses in discussion.
Critically evaluate the organisation and its objectives.
Provide an overview of the sector and critically engage with current scholarly debates on its role and effectiveness.
Analyse the value of the placement to the student’s chosen field of study.
Show an ability to link complex abstract debates with practical tasks.
Critically evaluate skills developed in the placement.
Critically reflect on the work placement and the student’s role as an employee within the organisation.
|CYFLWYNIAD UNIGOL||20 min presentation with 5 mins for questions||50.00|
|ADDRODDIAD||3,000 word essay exploring current debates||50.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
5 workshops (up to 2 hours each), where students will reflect on their placement experience as well link it to current debates within the placement’s sector and to concepts they have discussed in their postgraduate studies overall.
Work at an institution, where the student is expected to carry out prescribed tasks, but also to develop initiative.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Articulacy in identifying underlying issues in a wide variety of debates.
- Precision of thought and expression in the analysis and formulation of complex and controversial problems.
- being sensitive to the differences, or the "otherness" of the past, and the difficulty to using it as a guide to present or future action
- being sensitive to the role of perceptions of the past in contemporary cultures
- planning, designing, executing and documenting a programme of research, working independently
- marshalling and critically appraising other people's arguments, including listening and questioning
- demonstrating a positive and can-do approach to practical problems
- demonstrating an innovative approach, creativity, collaboration and risk taking
- presenting effective oral presentations for different kinds of audiences, including academic and/or audiences with little knowledge of history
- making effective and appropriate use of relevant information technology
- appreciating and being sensitive to different cultures and dealing with unfamiliar situations
- critical evaluation of one's own and others' opinions
- engaging with relevant aspects of current agendas such as global perspectives, public engagement, employability, enterprise, and creativity