Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
40.000 Credydau neu 20.000 Credyd ECTS
The research project module has been developed to give you the opportunity to carry out the research project that you proposed in Year 2. You will already have a supervisor and an outline of your research project and so the purpose of this module is to give you the opportunity for independent study, where you will carry out all aspects of your own research project – from ethical approval, data collection and data analysis to presenting your research findings and submitting your final written work. This module allows you to produce an original piece of research work and integrate knowledge and skills developed throughout your undergraduate studies.
Supervisory support will form an important part of the teaching method, but ultimately, most of the learning will be student-centered. In this module you will gain experience obtaining ethical approval on your project, before collecting primary data, designed to help answer a research question of particular interest to you and the field. In addition to the supervisory support that you receive, the module teaching staff will provide workshops on gaining ethical approval, how to prepare a verbal/poster presentation and how to present your data in your presentation and final written report. One to one statistics support will also be provided by a postgraduate student. This module provides the opportunity to put into practice the competencies that you have gained throughout your undergraduate studies and across a range of disciplines e.g. subject specific expertise and statistical analytical skills, as well as transferable skills such as critical thinking and being able to disseminate findings effectively.
Most criteria are met to a good standard; there may be a wide range in the quality of different components of the verbal/poster presentation and final written research project.
Most criteria of the verbal/poster presentation and final written research project are met to an excellent standard.
Most criteria are met to an adequate standard; there may be a wide range in the quality of different components of the verbal/poster presentation and final written research project.
Critically review relevant literature to justify a specific research question and associated hypotheses.
Demonstrate deeper awareness of ethical issues and obtain ethical approval.
Critically evaluate research findings in relation to current knowledge and indicate how these might inform practice.
Produce a written report that effectively communicates the completed, viable, research project and their understanding of it.
Effectively synthesise and disseminate research findings in a succinct manner via a poster presentation/verbal communication.
Select, execute and interpret appropriate statistical tests.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Supervisory support will form an important part of the teaching method, but ultimately, most of the learning will be student-centered. Module organisers will also provide workshops on gaining ethical approval, how to prepare a verbal/poster presentation and how to present your data in your presentation and final written project. Statistics support will be available from postgraduate students
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Numeracy - Proficiency in using numbers at appropriate levels of accuracy
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Safety-Consciousness - Having an awareness of your immediate environment, and confidence in adhering to health and safety regulations
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Management - Able to utilise, coordinate and control resources (human, physical and/or financial)
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- research and assess paradigms, theories, principles, concepts and factual information, and apply such skills in explaining and solving problems
- critically assess and evaluate data and evidence in the context of research methodologies and data sources
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- plan, design, execute and communicate a sustained piece of independent intellectual work, which provides evidence of critical engagement with, and interpretation of, appropriate data
- develop a sustained reasoned argument, perhaps challenging previously held assumptions
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- take and demonstrate responsibility for their own learning and continuing personal and professional development
- undertake fieldwork with continuous regard for safety and risk assessment.
- communicate succinctly at a level appropriate to different audiences.
- demonstrate effective robust data collection methods
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C616: BSc Sport and Exercise Science year 3 (BSC/SES)
- C63P: BSc Sport and Exercise Science with Placement Year year 3 (BSC/SESP)
- C617: BSc Sport Science, PE & Coaching year 3 (BSC/SSCPE)
- C64P: BSc Sport Science, PE and Coaching with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/SSCPEP)
- C618: BSc Sport Sci: Strength & Conditioning year 3 (BSC/SSSC)
- C65P: BSc Sport Science: Strength & Conditioning with Placement Yr year 4 (BSC/SSSCP)