Introduction to Laboratory Skills
Rhedir gan School of Medical and Health Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Mrs Bethan Davies Jones
This module will introduce key theoretical and practical skills to students to prepare them for work at later stages of the course.
Students will be taught the fundamentals of good laboratory practice, laboratory design, health & safety and key skills required for a modern medical scientist. Emphasis will be placed on the theoretical distinction between the different containment level laboratories found in industry and health care along with key design elements which distinguish between them.
B- to B+ A good student should have a thorough factual knowledge across all aspects of the module, and be able to detail examples where appropriate. The work shows a thorough understanding based on the presented material. The argument is logic and well supported.
A- to A An excellent student should have a thorough factual knowledge across all aspects of the module and be able to detailed examples where appropriate, supported by additional reading and knowledge drawn from other modules. Evidence of critical thinking and wider reading is essential for A+ and A marks.
C- i C+
C- to C+ A student would have a sound knowledge across most aspects of the module, and be able to detail examples where appropriate. The work shows an understanding based on the presented material. The argument may have gaps and lacks support.
D- to D+ A threshold student should have basic knowledge of the essential facts and key concepts presented in the module. The work incompletely covers the module material and there may be no argument and lack of examples & support.
Students will be able to interpret and record laboratory results.
Students will appreciate the relevant health and safety legislation and its practical implementation.
Students will be able to reflect on laboratory health and safety practice and the importance of accurate record keeping.
Students will be able to distinguish between the different categories of laboratory safety.
Students will learn key laboratory skills and the theoretical underpinning behind them.
|GWAITH CWRS||Reflective Journal||
Students will keep a reflective journal and use a reflective model to improve their skills and knowledge.
|GWAITH CWRS||Scientific Report||
Students will complete a report following their practical session.
|GWAITH CWRS||HS Poster||
Students will produce a poster to highlight one area of laboratory safety (e.g. biological hazards) and relate this to the design and operation of a teaching laboratory. This will be a group project with students receiving individual grades based upon their contribution to the final design.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||
A 2-hour introductory workshop to the practical, and a 3-hour practical session. Additional support sessions may be offered.
Directed and self-directed reading around topics and the completion of assignments.
Semester 1: 6 x 2 hour lecture Semester 2: 4 x 2 hour lecture
Lectures may convey substantial elements of the subject content, provide core themes and explanations of concepts, as well as set the scene for and inspire students' independent learning. Lectures encourage and enable students to develop skills in listening and selective note-taking. The traditional format may be enhanced through the use of computer-based or other learning aids and interactive student participation in groups or by communication networks.
Please note, for 2021/22, a blended learning style of delivery will be used. Students unable to attend Bangor University campus will be able to follow all aspects of the teaching online. On-campus teaching may be integrated, subject to Covid-19 related restrictions.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
QAA Biomedical Sciences (2015) Benchmarks
5.1.3 Competence in basic experimental skills. 5.3.5 The ability to employ a variety of methods of study in investigating recording and analysing material.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
All resources needed to complete this module are provided. Computers can be accessed in multiple locations across the university. All teaching materials will be available on Blackboard. Completed assignments will be uploaded onto Turnitin through Blackboard. Limited number of textbooks will be available through the University library.