Approaches and Therapies 2
Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Fay Short
Following on from the first Approaches and Therapies module, this module will provide you with an understanding of: • Behavioural Psychology and how that is applied in Behaviour Therapy • Cognitive Psychology and how that is applied in Cognitive Therapy
Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (or CBT) has been of the fastest growing integrative therapies, and the strong evidence base behind the techniques used in CBT have made it the treatment of choice in the NHS. However, training in CBT often fails to consider the unique features of the two different elements: Cognitive and Behavioural. These two approaches in psychology have historically been bitterly opposed to each other, so it is fascinating to see how they are now integrated together into one of the most popular therapies in the modern world. Understanding the psychology behind these two unique approaches and how the techniques are used with clients will give a valuable foundation to being able to integrate these methods into practice.
You will learn about how the Cognitive and Behavioural psychological approaches are used to understand human nature, with an appreciation of the social and historical development of each of these approaches. You will then use this knowledge to understand how to manage the therapeutic relationship and apply therapeutic techniques as a Cognitive Therapist and Behaviour Therapist. This theoretical knowledge will be illustrated with video examples to demonstrate counselling in action.
Towards the end of this module, you will also be given a brief insight into a select range of integrative and eclectic therapies, from REBT to Transactional Analysis. You will then be supported in reflecting on your own practice to consider how you can integrate your applied understanding of Person-Centred, Psychoanalytic, Cognitive, and Behavioural to develop your own unique therapeutic philosophy.
Topics covered in this module include: • History of the Behavioural Approach with focus on Skinner (Observational Skills) • Behavioural Theories of Human Nature and Personality (Dr Hembree Video) • Therapeutic Relationship in Behaviour Therapy (Dr Wright Video) • Therapeutic Techniques in Behaviour Therapy (Keith Matthews Video) • History of the Cognitive Approach with focus on Beck (Todd Grande Video) • Cognitive Theories of Human Nature and Personality (Arthur Freeman Video) • Therapeutic Relationship in Cognitive Therapy (Mick Cooper Video) • Therapeutic Techniques in Cognitive Therapy (Keith Matthews Video) • Compare, Contrast, Critique, and Apply (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) • Integrative Therapy: Transactional Analysis • Integrative Therapy: REBT
Please note that these topics are subject to change dependent on staff availability, unexpected circumstances, and the assessed needs of the students.
• Some insight into the interplay between different approaches, therapies, and models • Strong knowledge of Behavioural and Cognitive Approaches and Behaviour and Cognitive Therapies • Clear understanding and mostly free of factual errors • Some analysis showing critical evaluation and links between ideas • Some originality in approach, interpretation, and/or voice • Some independent research • Coherent arguments with evidence for most claims • Focused and well structured • Good presentation with accurate and appropriate expression • Mostly correct format in appropriate referencing style
• Limited insight into the interplay between different approaches, therapies, and models • Some knowledge of Behavioural and Cognitive Approaches and Behaviour and Cognitive Therapies • Understanding of the main concepts, but with factual errors in non-core concepts • Limited analysis showing only obvious points of evaluation and links between ideas • Limited originality in approach, interpretation, and/or voice • Limited evidence of independent research • Arguments presented but lack coherence with evidence for only some claims • Focused but with some irrelevant material and weaknesses in structure • Acceptable presentation with appropriate expression • Attempt at correct format in appropriate referencing style
• Insightful consideration of the interplay between different approaches, therapies, and models • Comprehensive knowledge of Behavioural and Cognitive Approaches and Behaviour and Cognitive Therapies • Detailed understanding with no factual errors • Critical analysis showing evaluation and synthesis of ideas • Originality in approach, interpretation, and/or voice • Extensive independent research • Logically defended arguments with evidence for all claims • Highly focused and well structured • Excellent presentation with accurate and appropriate expression • Correct format in appropriate referencing style
Compare, contrast, critique, and apply psychological interventions with an understanding of therapies based on eclecticism and integration
Describe and critically evaluate the history, social context, theories of nature, and theories of personality from the Behavioural approach
Recognise and critically evaluate the client-therapist relationship and therapeutic techniques of Behaviour therapy
Describe and critically evaluate the history, social context, theories of nature, and theories of personality from the Cognitive approach
Recognise and critically evaluate the client-therapist relationship and therapeutic techniques of Cognitive therapy
Research and present own therapeutic philosophy integrating theories of counselling and psychotherapy
|TRAETHAWD||Behaviour Therapy Critical Analysis 1||
Essay of 1500wds critically describing and evaluating the applications of the Behavioural approach and Behaviour therapy.
|TRAETHAWD||Cognitive Therapy Critical Analysis 2||
Essay of 1500wds critically describing and evaluating the applications of the Cognitive approach and Cognitive therapy.
Fifteen-minute presentation to introduce and explain the therapeutic philosophy of the student and how this philosophy is applied in work with clients, with reference to relevant research and theory. Presentation should include ten-minutes of prepared content and five-minutes of questions, should use any appropriate visual aids to support the delivery, and must be accompanied by a handout including references.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Your lectures will focus on the core theories and concepts for each of the topics in the curriculum content.
Your video and discussion sessions will include a video showing of counselling in action followed by a discussion about the use of the approach and therapy by the therapist.
Your private independent study should focus on watching the videos and reading beyond the lecture content to gain a deeper understanding of the therapeutic process and context.
Afternoon or morning of presentations to explain your unique therapeutic philosophy to peers.
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Understand the scientific underpinnings of psychology as a discipline.
- Apply multiple perspectives to psychological issues and integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in psychology.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in oral form.
- Retrieve and organise information effectively.
- Handle primary source material critically.
- Engage in effective teamwork for the purpose of collaborating on psychological projects.
- Be sensitive and react appropriately to contextual and interpersonal psychological factors.
- Use effectively personal planning and project management skills.
- Work effectively under pressure (time pressure, limited resources, etc) as independent and pragmatic learners.
- Problem-solve by clarifying questions, considering alternative solutions, making critical judgements, and evaluating outcomes.
- Reason scientifically and demonstrate the relationship between theory and evidence.
- Understand and investigate the role of brain function in all human behaviour and experience.
- Be aware of ethical principles and approval procedures.
Carlson, N. R. & Birkett, M. A. (2017). Physiology of behavior. Essex, UK: Pearson. Davey, G. (2014). Psychopathology: Research, assessment and treatment in clinical psychology. Oxford, UK: BPS Textbooks in Psychology Series with Blackwell Publishing. van Rijn, B. (2014). Assessment and case formulation in counselling and psychotherapy. London, UK: Sage.
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
- PPC-4004: Therapeutic Process and Contex
- PPC-4002: Approaches and Therapies 1
- PPC-4003: Counselling Skills
- PPC-4001: Research Skills
Rhagofynnol ar gyfer:
- PPC-4008: Mental Health and Wellbeing
- PPC-4005: Research Methods & Statistics
- PPC-4007: Advanced Counselling Skills
Cydofynnol ar gyfer:
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C8DX: MSc Counselling year 1 (MSC/CNSL)