Performance Studies in Education
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
30.000 Credyd neu 15.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr John Cunningham
This module will consider the role of technique and pedagogy in performance. Particular focus is given to coaching and directing, working with musical learners, and broadening stylistic experience.
This module is for instrumentalists and singers who wish to broaden and develop their performing experience with a view to a career in music education. Students will participate in a range of workshops which will explore aspects of solo and ensemble performance, and of instrumental/vocal teaching, coaching and direction. They will develop skills of communication and leadership, as well as developing their knowledge of musical styles, genres and repertoires. In addition, students not also taking WMP-4112 Performance II will receive lessons on their own instrument, or, in the case of players of non-Western instruments, on a cognate instrument.
Threshold (50-59) Demonstration of adequate instrumental/vocal skills, of a sound awareness of issues relating to coaching and directing performers, and of confidence in communication and leadership
Good (60-69) Demonstration of good instrumental/vocal skills, of a good understanding of issues relating to coaching and directing performance, and of assurance in communication and leadership.
Excellent (70+) Demonstration of: excellent instrumental/vocal skills; strong and at times original insight into issues relating to coaching and directing performance; and of near-professional assurance in communication and leadership.
Upon successful completion of the module, a student will be able to create an academically informed approach to the teaching of musical performance and express it verbally / in writing, as appropriate.
Upon successful completion of the module, a student will be able to demonstrate critical appreciation of different approaches to the teaching of music performance.
Upon successful completion of the module, a student will be able to convey, through demonstration, pedagogical instruction and guidance.
Upon successful completion of the module, a student will be able to demonstrate advanced technical and musical facility on their instrument or as a singer.
|Lecture Recital / Lesson / Workshop||50.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
One workshop of 2 hours’ duration, approximately fortnightly.
Observation of a professional working in an educational environment.
|Supervised time in studio/workshop||
Students not taking WMP-4112 Performance II (or WMC-4112 Perfformio II) are entitled to up to 6 hours of individual tuition on their instrument or voice, or, in the case of players of non-Western instruments, on a cognate Western instrument (e.g. the harp for the guzheng). These lessons will normally take place at the rate of 30 minutes per week, but the frequency and length may vary depending on the instrument or voice type.
Pedagogic practice, working in pairs with another student on the module. There is no upper time limit for this activity, but a minimum of half an hour per week of teaching (and half an hour of learning) is recommended.
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Musicianship skills – recognition, classification, contextualisation, reconstruction, exploration
- Re-creative skills – interpretation, innovation, versatility, and other skills relating to performance
- Intellectual skills specific to Music – contextual knowledge, cultural awareness, critical understanding, repertoire knowledge, curiosity, analytical demonstration
- Technological skills – digital capture, digital expression, digital innovation
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
- Enhanced powers of imagination and creativity (4.17)