Rhedir gan School of Law
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Ms Chaynee Hodgetts
Criminal Law is a compulsory module in the LLB programme. The aim of this module is to enable students to state and apply the rules of the English criminal law dealt with in the course accurately and relevantly, and to accurately explain recent actual and proposed changes to this area of law. It will also enable students to appreciate the wider contextual issues related to criminal law and to compare and contrast that law accurately and relevantly with the equivalent areas of any other legal system with which the student is familiar. Finally, the module will also allow students to undertake legal research to acquire knowledge of the key components of the criminal law, and to further utilise that knowledge by applying it to hypothetical factual scenarios involving the criminal law.
The module will allow the student to study the modern English criminal law, in particular the law relating to: Introduction; actus reus; mens rea; Negligence and Strict Liability; General Defences; Parties to Crime; Inchoate Offences; Homicide; Non-fatal Offences against the Person; Offences under the Theft Acts 1968 and 1978: Theft and Related Offences; Offences involving Deception; Further Offences under the Theft Act; Criminal Damage; Sexual Offences.
A comprehensive answer, containing all the material relevant to the question and no irrelevancy, all the material and references being accurate and correct, there being no inaccuracy or error, the whole presented in an argument which, while clear, logical and critical, leaves room for improvement in its construction and presentation. An answer which shows complete competence in the subject.
An outstanding, possibly brilliant, answer, containing all the material relevant to the question and no irrelevancy, all the material and references being accurate and correct, there being no inaccuracy or error, the whole presented in a clear, logical, critical argument with little room for improvement. An answer which demonstrates a complete mastery of the subject.
An answer which, while predominantly correct in its presentation of material, contains a significant level of error and is therefore not entirely reliable.
Outline the functions of criminal law, giving examples of relevant offences, and to explain the relationship between law and morality.
Distinguish between criminal liability for acts and omissions and explain when liability will be imposed for omissions.
Identify and differentiate between the various culpable states of mind.
Distinguish between offences of basic and specific intent and apply the distinction to a factual scenario.
Compare the various forms of unlawful homicide and assess the effectiveness of the current law.
Identify and evaluate general defences to criminal charges.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
The module will be taught by means of approximately 36 hours of lectures taught over the course of one semester and covering the topics outlined in the course content.
Tutorials will routinely require students to engage individually and in groups in commenting upon, critically evaluating and applying the principles and details of the subject under the guidance and instruction of the tutor. Attendance and participation by all students is expected, as understanding is based upon one’s own development of ideas in context.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Develop the ability to interpret legal rules and employ techniques of legal reasoning competently and efficiently in order to offer a range of solutions and conclusions to actual or hypothetical complex legal problems, all supported by relevant academic literature, jurisprudence and legislative research. Such solutions will be clearly communicated and presented
- Develop the ability to analyse complex legal issues, set against the background of the political, social, economic or cultural contexts in which they may arise
- Develop those skills which are necessary for scholarship and research in legal subjects, namely the ability to identify relevant primary and secondary legal sources and to retrieve accurate legal information using paper and electronic sources
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/sxl-2113.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Rhagofynnol ar gyfer:
Cydofynnol ar gyfer:
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- M115: LLB Law with English Literature (International Experience) year 2 (LLB/ILEL)
- M100: LLB Law year 2 (LLB/L)
- M11B: LLB Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (LLB/L1)
- M1N4: LLB Law with Acc and Finance year 2 (LLB/LAF)
- M1NB: LLB Law with Accounting & Finance (4yr with Incorp Found) year 2 (LLB/LAF1)
- M101: LLB Law (2 year) year 2 (LLB/LAW2)
- M1N1: LLB Law with Business Studies year 2 (LLB/LBS)
- MN1B: LLB Law with Business (4year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (LLB/LBS1)
- MT12: LLB Law with Chinese (International Experience) year 2 (LLB/LCIE)
- M1W1: LLB Law with Creative Media Writing year 2 (LLB/LCMW)
- M1W2: LLB Law with Creative Media Writing (International Exp) year 2 (LLB/LCMWI)
- M116: LLB Law with French (European Experience) year 2 (LLB/LFE)
- M117: LLB Law with German (European Experience) year 2 (LLB/LGE)
- M1V1: LLB Law with History year 2 (LLB/LH)
- M1V2: LLB Law with History (International Experience) year 2 (LLB/LHI)
- M102: LLB Law (International Experience) year 2 (LLB/LI)
- M103: LLB Law with Accounting & Finance (Intl Exp) year 2 (LLB/LIA)
- M104: LLB Law with Business Studies (International Experience) year 2 (LLB/LIB)
- M108: LLB Law with Social Policy (International Experience) year 2 (LLB/LIF)
- M110: LLB Law with Welsh (International Experience) year 2 (LLB/LIH)
- M113: LLB Law with Criminology (Intl Exp) year 2 (LLB/LIK)
- M118: LLB Law with Italian (European Experience) year 2 (LLB/LITE)
- M1P1: LLB Law with Media Studies year 2 (LLB/LMS)
- M1P2: LLB Law with Media Studies (International Experience) year 2 (LLB/LMSI)
- M1V5: LLB Law with Philosophy and Religion year 2 (LLB/LPR)
- M1C8: LLB Law with Psychology year 2 (LLB/LPSY)
- M119: LLB Law with Spanish (European Experience) year 2 (LLB/LSE)
- M1L4: LLB Law with Social Policy year 2 (LLB/LSP)
- M1LB: LLB Law with Social Policy (4 yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (LLB/LSP1)
- M1Q5: LLB Law with Welsh year 2 (LLB/LW)
- M1M9: LLB Law with Criminology year 2 (LLB/LWCR)
- M1MB: LLB Law with Criminology (4 yr with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (LLB/LWCR1)
- M1MP: LLB Law with Criminology with Placement Year year 2 (LLB/LWCRP)
- M1QK: LLB Law with English Literature year 2 (LLB/LWEL)
- M1M0: LLB English Law and French Law year 2 (LLB/UKLFL)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- NM11: BA Business and Law year 2 (BA/BUSALAW)
- NM1B: BA Business and Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/BUSLAW1)
- M93B: BA Criminology & Criminal Just (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BA/CCJ1)
- M931: BA Criminology & Criminal Justice with International Exp year 2 (BA/CJIE)
- M930: BA Criminology & Criminal Justice year 2 (BA/CRIM)