Composing for Film/Media
Rhedir gan School of Music and Media
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Owain Brown
- To provide an understanding of the competitive world of composing music for film and the media.
- To create or expand the knowledge of music technology which is associated with the composition of music for film and the media, such as synchronising music with moving images.
- To provide an understanding of the end product created by composers e.g. deliverables including cut-down versions of tracks.
- To develop an understanding of the business, legal and financial issues which are involved with music for film and the media.
The aim of the course is to equip students with the necessary technical and creative skills to prepare them for the world of music for film, television and the media – a field of composition that is full of challenges but very rewarding. Instruction will be given on the use of specific software and hardware (such as Logic Pro and Sibelius), as well as how to synchronise images with sound, the use of keyboards and software samples, and basic mixing techniques. Alongside this will be a series of lectures on topics relating to research, industry and criticism of musical styles and genres in the media. Examples from the work of some of the masters of the form will be analysed to enable the student to gain an understanding of the medium. Detailed attention will be paid to business and legal implications.
CO-REQUISITES: Ideally students will have experience of Orchestration Today (WXK2232 or WXC2232) and Composition (WXK2233 or WXC2233) or Acousmatic Composition (WXK2235), but this is not essential.
The work demonstrates a basic, though limited, understanding of subject material, with some capability of theoretic thought and sufficient mastery of the covered topics. Certain evidence of a creative approach will be required for the main assignment.
The work demonstrates a clear understanding of subject material, a satisfactory level of theoretic thought, and an understanding of the main topics. Sufficient evidence of a creative and intelligent approach, with adequate creative expression.
The work demonstrates an excellent understanding of subject matter, with evidence of a natural flair in this area, an original approach, and excellent compositional skills.
On completion of this module, the student should be able to demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the fundamentals of the work of a composer for the media.
On completion of this module, the student should be able to demonstrate a thorough knowledge of synchronising music with picture.
On completion of this module, the student should be able to demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the balance and mix of their music.
On completion of this module, the student should be able to demonstrate detailed knowledge of business matters relating to music for the media.
On completion of this module, the student should be able to demonstrate a specialism in composing in a range of genres.
|GWAITH CWRS||Coursework 2||
|PRAWF DOSBARTH||Rep test 1||
|GWAITH CWRS||Main Assignment 1||
Score a scene from a short film supplied.
|GWAITH CWRS||Coursework 3||
Library Music (‘Production CD Music’) Assignment.
|GWAITH CWRS||Coursework 4 (unassessed)||
Showreel CD; 4 minutes of music from previous assignments.
|PRAWF DOSBARTH||Rep test 2||
|GWAITH CWRS||Main Assignment 2||
Score a scene from a short film supplied (or gained in collaboration with a Director).
|GWAITH CWRS||Coursework 1 (unassessed)||
Compose to a given Corporate Video Brief.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
10 studio-based seminars (50 minutes each, 5 in each semester, delivered fortnightly). 1 reading week in each semester.
11 lectures each semester (delivered weekly).
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Musicianship skills – recognition, classification, contextualisation, reconstruction, exploration
- Creative skills – conception, elaboration, adaptation, presentation, collaboration, preservation
- Intellectual skills specific to Music – contextual knowledge, cultural awareness, critical understanding, repertoire knowledge, curiosity, analytical demonstration
- Technological skills – digital capture, digital expression, digital innovation
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
- Enhanced powers of imagination and creativity (4.17)
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/wxk-3234.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- Q3WP: BA Eng Lang with Film Studs year 3 (BA/ELFS)
- P3V1: BA Film Studies and History year 3 (BA/FSH)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 3 (BA/ACC)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 3 (BA/CSTMUS)
- 32N6: BA English Literature and Music year 3 (BA/ELM)
- VW23: BA Hanes Cymru a Cherddoriaeth year 3 (BA/HCAC)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 3 (BA/HMU)
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 3 (BA/MEE)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 4 (BA/MHIE)
- W303: BA Music (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/MIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 3 (BA/MSMUS)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 4 (BA/MUFR)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 4 (BA/MUGE)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 4 (BA/MUIT)
- W300: BA Music year 3 (BA/MUS)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/MUSCW)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 3 (BA/MUSFS)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 4 (BA/MUSP)
- VVW3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Music year 3 (BA/PRM)
- QW53: BA Cymraeg/Music year 3 (BA/WMU)
- W304: BMus Music (with International Experience) year 4 (BMUS/MIE)
- W302: BMUS Music year 3 (BMUS/MUS)