Ecosystem Function & Services
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Paula Roberts
This module will cover aspects of biodiversity, soil science, and matter cycles (water, nutrient and carbon) within an ecosystem context. The processes which define ecosystems will be used to illustrate the services they deliver, particularly biomass and carbon sequestration. The module will give and overview of biodiversity, ecosystem development, soil formation and properties, carbon and nutrient fluxes in ecosystems and plant tolerance to abiotic stress, as well as case studies of a range of ecosystem types.
- Introduction ecosystem concepts and matter flows
- Ecosystem services
- Ecosystem development
- Ecosystem Function & Biodiversity models
- Ecosystem productivity
- Ecosystem collapse
- Climate and microclimate
- Soil formation
- Soil mineralogy and weathering
- Soil organic matter and chemical properties
- Ecosystem productivity
- Food webs and below-ground biodiversity
- Above and below-ground biodiversity
- Root processes
- Plant water relations
- Plant reproduction
- Plant structure
- Photosynthesis types, pigments, environmental control
- Plant stress tolerance I (moisture stress)
- Plant stress tolerance II (heat and cold)
- Temperate grasslands
- Wetlands and salt marshes
- Polar ecosystems
a) Wetland Ecology and GHG
b) Soil Field Trip
c) Water Quality - Nitrate practical
d) Plant Reproduction / ecophysiology
Grade D- to C+ Understanding of the concepts of ecosystem and their developments, soils and soil properties, and element fluxes in ecosystems.
Grade B- to B+ Good understanding of the concepts of ecosystem and their development, soils and soil properties, and element fluxes in ecosystems. The ability to interlink the ecosystems, soils and element fluxes.
Grade A- and above In depth understanding of the concepts of ecosystem and their development, soils and soil properties, and element fluxes in ecosystems. Understanding of the complexity of ecosystem and how biodiversity, soils and element fluxes determine the properties of ecosystems, as well as and understanding of these in key ecosystems.
Understanding of the concept of ecosystems and their dynamic nature.
Understanding of soils and soil development.
Understanding of the process involved in ecosystems carbon fluxes, such as photosynthesis, food webs and decomposition.
Appreciation of the ecosystem function of a number of key ecosystems.
|ADDRODDIAD||Field (Wetlands C and N diagrams)||15|
|ADDRODDIAD||Lab (Nitrate practical)||15|
|ADDRODDIAD||Lab (Plant reproduction / ecophysiology)||15|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
25 * 1 hour lectures (2-3 per week over 10 weeks).
2*3 hour practicals
2*4 hour field visits
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Recognize and apply appropriate theories and concepts from a range of disciplines.
- Appreciate the interdisciplinary and/or reciprocal nature of relationships within the subject area.
- Appreciation of the complexity and diversity of processes through the study of relevant systems.
- Apply subject knowledge to the understanding and addressing of problems.
- Conduct fieldwork and/or laboratory work competently with awareness of appropriate risk assessment and ethical considerations
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Prepare effective maps, diagrams and visualizations.
- Undertake field and/or laboratory studies to ensure competence in basic experimental and/or fieldwork skills.
- Engagement with current subject developments and their application.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/dxx-1001.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C183: BSC Appl.Terrestrial & Marine Ec 4 year 1 (BSC/APTME)
- C180: BSc Appl. Terrestrial &Marine Ec year 1 (BSC/ATME)
- C184: BSc App Terrestrial & Marine Ecology with Intl Experience year 1 (BSC/ATMEIE)
- D503: BSc Conservation with Forestry with International Experience year 1 (BSC/CFIE)
- 5DKD: BSc Conservation with Forestry year 1 (BSC/CWF)
- 5DLD: BSc Conservation with Forestry (four year) year 1 (BSC/CWF4)
- D447: BSC Environmental Conservation year 1 (BSC/ECON)
- D448: BSC Environmental Conservation year 1 (BSC/ECON4)
- D451: BSc Environmental Conservation (International Experience) year 1 (BSC/ENIE)
- F900: BSC Environmental Science year 1 (BSC/ES)
- F901: BSc Environmental Science (4 yr with placement) year 1 (BSC/ES4)
- F90F: BSc Environmental Science year 1 (BSC/ESF)
- 8U71: BSc Environmental Science (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/ESIE)
- D501: BSc Forestry (with sandwich placement) year 1 (BSC/F)
- D502: BSc Forestry with International Experience year 1 (BSC/FIE)
- D500: BSC Forestry year 1 (BSC/FOR)
- F803: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 1 (BSC/GEF)
- F804: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 1 (BSC/GEF4)
- C328: BSc Wildlife Conservation year 1 (BSC/WLC)
- C332: BSc Wildlife Conservation with Place Yr year 1 (BSC/WLCP)
- F850: Master of Environmental Science year 1 (M/ENVSCI)
- F851: MEnvSci Environmental Science with International Experience year 1 (MENVSC/ESIE)
- D512: MFor Forestry year 1 (MFOR/FOR)
- D514: MFor Forestry with International Experience year 1 (MFOR/FORIE)
- D513: MFor Forestry (with placement year) year 1 (MFOR/FORP)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- F842: BSc Marine Geography year 1 (BSC/MARG)