Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Jamie Macdonald
Adventure Tourism is growing exponentially worldwide and can represent many kinds of activities and experiences but generally have a degree of challenge and perceived or actual risk. This module explores the science behind adventure to develop a critical understanding of this growing market.
Students will gain insights into the origins and innovations of the sector and the development of adventure in an urban environment. Scientific topics will cover the physical and psychological effects of adventurous activities and the economic opportunities within Adventure Tourism and the larger travel and health and wellbeing sectors.
Class time will consist of a combination of lectures, individual exercises, group discussions, group visits to local business and formative assignment practice.
Students must show an ability to critically reconstruct material and evidence of wide reading of current research literature and extensive use of primary sources. Students are able to accurately present, interpret and analyse data and form clear conclusions to answer the question.
Students must show a reasonable grasp of the topic and its most prominent literature. Suboptimal presentation of data and limited interpretation of findings. Limited critique of research literature. Sound conclusions.
Students must show a good grasp of the topic. Clear presentation of data. Good capacity to interpret the data. Concise writing style with no notable omissions, errors or irrelevancies; adequate referencing, and a wide use of primary resources.
Critically appraise the potential benefit and risks of adventurous activities.
Apply judgement to create a theoretical Tourism Experience in a specific urban or rural location that identifies a specific physical or psychological benefit
Evaluate the Adventure Tourism market on a global and at a local level.
|The North Wales Adventure tourism market||10.00|
|Pitch your business case||90.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
An expansive reading list is supplied for private learning. Students will also be encouraged to engage in their own independent learning during their private study. Private study time will be used to design and produce a new business opportunity within the Adventure Tourism sector.
The module will consist of 20 hours of lecture time with a mix of two and four hour sessions designed to address the science behind adventure tourism and to develop a critical understanding of this growing market. The module content will be structured in a way that makes the overlap between key weekly themes evident in order to provide a larger and more broadly packaged insight into the market. To achieve this, each session will adopt a blend of lecture-driven theory alongside practical and group-based tasks that allow students to derive critically driven context from the theoretical knowledge that they receive.
Additional insights from local adventure tourism business leaders will form part of some of the lectures but may also require additional site visits and time outside the lectures to help gain first-hand experience of the local market.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- research and assess paradigms, theories, principles, concepts and factual information, and apply such skills in explaining and solving problems
- critically assess and evaluate data and evidence in the context of research methodologies and data sources
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- plan, design, execute and communicate a sustained piece of independent intellectual work, which provides evidence of critical engagement with, and interpretation of, appropriate data
- apply knowledge to the solution of familiar and unfamiliar problems
- develop a sustained reasoned argument, perhaps challenging previously held assumptions
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- take and demonstrate responsibility for their own learning and continuing personal and professional development
- project manage and execute practical activities using appropriate techniques and procedures whilst demonstrating high levels of relevant skills
- undertake fieldwork with continuous regard for safety and risk assessment.
- demonstrate evidence of competence in the scientific methods of enquiry, and interpretation and analysis of relevant data and statistical outputs.
- accurately interpret case study data
- develop justifiable and/or evidence-based interventions
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Students will not be required to pay anything additional for this module.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/jxh-3084.html
Adventure Tourism and Outdoor Activities Management by Ian Jenkins • Publisher: CABI (4 Feb. 2019) • Language: English • ISBN-10: 1786390868 • ISBN-13: 978-1786390868
Adventure Tourism, Ralf Buckley • Publisher: CABI Publishing (24 Oct. 2006) • Language: English • ISBN-10: 9781845931223 • ISBN-13: 978-1845931223 • ASIN: 184593122X
Adventure and Society, Simon Beams • Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan; 1st ed. 2019 edition (14 Jan. 2019) • Language: English • ISBN-10: 331996061X • ISBN-13: 978-3319960616
Adventure Tourism: Meaning, Experience and Learning (Contemporary Geographies of Leisure, Tourism and Mobility) Hardcover – 6 Feb 2013 by Steve Taylor (Editor), Peter Varley (Editor), Tony Johnston (Editor) • Publisher: Routledge; 1 edition (6 Feb. 2013) • Language: English • ISBN-10: 0415524830 • ISBN-13: 978-0415524834
Welcome to Wales: priorities for the visitor economy 2020 to 2025: https://gov.wales/sites/default/files/publications/2020-01/welcome-to-wales-priorities-for-the-visitor-economy-2020-to-2025.pdf
Zipworld’s Impact on the North Wales Economy: https://northwalestourism.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Assessing-Zip-World’s-Impact-on-the-North-Wales-Economy-Review-2018.pdf