DXX-1007 Academic Tutorial & Key Skills (10 credits)
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Sopan Patil
This module is designed to introduce a range of skills required for a degree in SENRGy and to encourage wider reading around the degree subject. The module also introduces key subject specific findings and literature.
During the welcome week (i.e. week 0 of the first year), students and their allocated tutor will meet and timetable 5 tutorial sessions to be spread throughout semester 1. In addition there will be a series of research talks given by academic staff in semester 1. In semester 2 there will be introductory GIS and information literacy sessions. During the first tutorial, tutors will discuss with their students the nature of the course, and the learning outcomes that are to be achieved. The tutor will lead a discussion on a topic for study, and the students will receive a list of suggested reading and a description of the task to be completed (i.e. essay or presentation). In subsequent tutorials, students will receive formative feedback on presented work, and the tutor will introduce the following topics and tasks. Topics covered will be chosen by the course director to be relevant and informative to the particular degree stream each student is following, thus the actual course content will vary between individuals. However, in order to ensure consistency across the school, the following overarching themes will be covered: the importance of factual accuracy when conveying information to the public and others, the role of a sound evidence base in policy making, the importance of interdisciplinary thinking.
Demonstrate a basic understanding of the main points of the subject material through either verbal or written communication. Able to abstract a scientific paper demonstrating a basic understanding of source material.
Demonstrate a good understanding of the main points of the subject material through both verbal and written communication. Communicate ideas effectively without major omissions or deviations from the point. Able to abstract a scientific paper demonstrating good understanding of the source material.
Demonstrate a full understanding of the main points of the subject material through both verbal and written communication. Communicate ideas very effectively in a succinct yet thorough manner. Able to abstract a scientific paper demonstrating full understanding of source material.
Write logical, well structured scientific essays drawing upon appropriate, and correctly referenced, information from the scientific literature
Give short oral presentations using appropriate visual aids within a given time limit
Use library facilities to undertake literature searches
Summarise, précis or abstract longer scientific papers or journal articles
Take an active part in discussions in subject-specific seminars.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
5*1 hour tutorials (5 per semester)
10*1 hour academic research talks 5 hours of information literacy
|Practical classes and workshops||
5 hours of introductory GIS
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Recognize and apply appropriate theories and concepts from a range of disciplines.
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Apply subject knowledge to the understanding and addressing of problems.
- Awareness of the concepts of spatial and temporal scale in understanding processes and relationships.
- Appreciation of the reciprocal nature of human-environmental relationships.
- Preparation of effective maps, diagrams and visualizations.
- Engagement with current developments in the biosciences and their application.
- Appreciation of the complexity and diversity of life processes through the study of organisms.
- Engage in debate and/or discussion with specialists and non-specialists using appropriate language.
- Understand the provisional nature of information and appreciate competing and alternative explanations.
- Recognize the moral, ethical and social issues relating to the subject.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- L700: BA Geography year 1 (BA/GEOG)
- L702: BA Geography (4 yr with placement) year 1 (BA/GEOG4)
- L701: BA Geography (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/GEOGIE)
- C183: BSC Appl.Terrestrial & Marine Ec 4 year 1 (BSC/APTME)
- C185: BSc Applied Terrestrial & Marine Ecology with Intl Exp (5yr) year 1 (BSC/APTMIE)
- C180: BSc Appl. Terrestrial &Marine Ec year 1 (BSC/ATME)
- C184: BSc App Terrestrial & Marine Ecology with Intl Experience year 1 (BSC/ATMEIE)
- C13P: BSc Applied Terrestrial and Marine Ecology with Placement Yr year 1 (BSC/ATMEP)
- D503: BSc Conservation with Forestry with International Experience year 1 (BSC/CFIE)
- 5DKD: BSc Conservation with Forestry year 1 (BSC/CWF)
- 5DLD: BSc Conservation with Forestry (four year) year 1 (BSC/CWF4)
- D447: BSC Environmental Conservation year 1 (BSC/ECON)
- D448: BSC Environmental Conservation year 1 (BSC/ECON4)
- D451: BSc Environmental Conservation (International Experience) year 1 (BSC/ENIE)
- F900: BSC Environmental Science year 1 (BSC/ES)
- F901: BSc Environmental Science (4 yr with placement) year 1 (BSC/ES4)
- F90F: BSc Environmental Science year 1 (BSC/ESF)
- 8U71: BSc Environmental Science (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/ESIE)
- D501: BSc Forestry (with sandwich placement) year 1 (BSC/F)
- D502: BSc Forestry with International Experience year 1 (BSC/FIE)
- D500: BSC Forestry year 1 (BSC/FOR)
- D50P: BSc Forestry with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/FP)
- F803: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 1 (BSC/GEF)
- F804: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 1 (BSC/GEF4)
- F807: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry with Intl Exp year 1 (BSC/GEFIE)
- F800: BSC Geography year 1 (BSC/GEOG)
- F806: BSc Geography (4 yr with placement) year 1 (BSC/GEOG4)
- F802: BSc Geography (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/GEOGIE)
- F850: Master of Environmental Science year 1 (M/ENVSCI)
- F851: MEnvSci Environmental Science with International Experience year 1 (MENVSC/ESIE)