Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20.000 Credydau neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
The purpose of this module is to introduce the student to microwave engineering and applications. The lectures will provide an understanding of a range of microwave engineering design techniques and give a basic knowledge of a number components used in the development of microwave systems. This module covers the most commonly used microwave transmission lines and looks at transmission line design techniques.
Examples of microwave system line-ups that have been developed by members of the Medical Microwave Systems Research Group, in Bangor, will be given to allow the student to become familiar with typical system configurations, and also to give an appreciation of how microwave engineering techniques can be applied in the medical devices industry. The module will also provide the student with an appreciation of more general applications of microwave engineering, i.e. for microwave communication links.
Indicative content includes:
A general overview of microwave systems engineering, including a number of practical system configurations developed for medical applications will be given.
This will be followed by an introduction to microwave system design in terms of attenuation and gain of passive and active components respectively, and use of dB and dBm to design basic system line-ups.
Microwave transmission lines commonly used in microwave system design, i.e. co-axial lines and microstrip lines, will be introduced and it will be shown how to calculate their characteristic impedance.
A range of microwave system design techniques will then be introduced; including: derivation and use of the impedance transformation equation, graphical design techniques using Smith Charts.
Equivalent to 40%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Appraise the breadth of applications of microwave engineering (communications, industrial processing, medical).
Interpret microwave measurements using a vector network analyser (VNA) and their outputs.
Apply microwave engineering techniques to solve problems encountered in industry.
|Applications of Microwave Engineering||15.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Tutor-directed private study including revision
Traditional Lecture (2 hrs x 12 weeks) - but may be delivered in intensive blocks
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Apply underpinning concepts and ideas of engineering;
- Formulate and analyse requirements and practical constraints of products, processes and services, place them in an engineering context and manage their implementation;
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions.
- Appreciate the importance of designing products with due regard to good laboratory practice, health and safety considerations and ethical issues.
- Access and synthesize information and literature sources;
- Communicate proposals persuasively and respond positively to feedback;
- Analyse and display data using appropriate methods and mathematical techniques;
- Demonstrate an awareness of the need to work safely and comply within relevant legislative and regulatory frameworks;
- Knowledge and understanding of facts, concepts, principles & theories
- Problem solving strategies
- Analyse if/how a system meets current and future requirements
- Deploy theory in design, implementation and evaluation of systems
- Evaluate systems in terms of quality and trade-offs
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- H610: BENG Electronic Engineering (3 yrs) year 3 (BENG/ELE)
- H62B: BEng Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BENG/ELE1)
- H61F: BEng Electronic Engineering year 3 (BENG/ELEF)
- H621: BEng Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 4 (BENG/ELEIE)
- H6W3: BSc Electronic Engineering and Music year 3 (BSC/EEM)
- H611: BSc Electronic Engineering year 3 (BSC/ELE)
- H63B: BSc Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BSC/ELE1)
- H622: BSc Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 4 (BSC/ELEIE)
- H601: MEng Electronic Engineering (4 yrs) year 3 (MENG/EE)