Marine Mammal Observation
Marine Mammal Observation 2023-24
School of Ocean Sciences
Module - Semester 1
This module will guide students through the survey process - introducing them to observation techniques in the classroom, providing practical experience of these techniques in-the-field, and analysing data using appropriate software. Students will be formally and informally assessed throughout the module. First, students will develop their observation skills in an 'Identification Test' using photographs of UK species. Second, students will apply these observation skills to collect data on the abundance and distribution of marine mammals along the north Anglesey coastline. Finally, students will use their data to produce a 'survey report' investigating relationships between marine mammals and environmental conditions within this region.
- Analyse and report on data collected during surveys.
- Assess sea conditions during surveys of marine mammals.
- Be familiar with surveys commonly used for marine mammals.
- Identify a range of marine mammal species.
- Record the abundance, ages and behaviour of marine mammals.